No announcement yet.

Ripper does not show "Closed Caption"s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try exporting the sub titles as .sub and .idx and see if they'll be played that way?
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Not sure how to do that. I know where the setting is to change how the subtitles are handled but when the track doesn't show the subtitle as even being an option, how do I select it? (under subtitles it shows "None" but in VLC player i can see a list of subtitles like "Closed Captions 1")

--Adam

Comment

If you extract the subs as shown below there will be two small files created be sure to put them all in the same folder. You can directly render to the video stream and the subs will always be on and can't be turned off. See below:
        Attached Files

Albert Einstein

Comment

Understood, thank you. I have tried that and the 2 files are not created. It is my understanding that the files would be created in the same folder as the mp4 file. If that is incorrect, let me know.
          Attached Files

Comment

That is correct. Are there sub titles on the disc? If no sub titles on the DVD then no files will be created.

Albert Einstein

Comment

I think there are but I don't know a lot about this. In the picture I was showing that VLC has the ability to see the sub-title and display it correctly.

On a slightly different note. Are there general benefits to doing the idx/sub vs remux into file?

Comment

When exported they can be turned on and off if desired as with remuxed, if directly rendered into the video stream they are always on. In either case make sure the sub title desired is selected before clicking start.
                Attached Files

Albert Einstein

Comment

Ok, thought they were very similar, the two that can be turned on/off.

Understood about selecting the language in the drop down. Thats what I am fighting, I have quit a few disks (movies and tv shows) that the list is empty but other tools can see the captions.

Do you think this is something I should open a ticket with dvdFab about?

Comment

You can if you want but Fab has never, to my knowledge, seen closed captions on a disc. When I run across a DVD with no sub titles I fall back on Handbrake that will see closed captions and make my MP4 with it.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Good point. I could always use that as well.

Comment

Like many of the moderators have said in similiar posts, subtitles and closed captions are two distinct things. When I run across TV series on DVD that don't have subtitles I've started using CCExtractor to create an external subtitle .srt file from the embedded closed caption that are there. DVDFab at this time won't process the closed caption streams. CCExtractor is a pretty simple utility once you get a few extractions under your belt. If you go to their site they have everything you need to extract CC's. Once you get it installed there are only really two steps to using it and you have an .srt file that most players will recognize and read. I use Windows Media Center and even it will read these files. Best thing about the .srt file is when the video plays it looks more like a subtitle (which I personally like) and not a blocky closed caption.

Comment

Working...
                        X