CUDA acceleration not working?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPU/GPU CUDA acceleration not working?

Ever since i started using dvdfab i have noticed on my system monitor app on the phone and can there see that it takes a bit of VRAM but both GPU cores are at 0% . And i have cuda activated in the settings.

CPU: Core i7 5960X

GPU 2x ASUS strix gaming GTX 1080 SLI

is it suppose to be like that? when i run a 2 pass 15Mbit h265 convertion i have about 22 FPS on pass 1 and then 16 on pass 2. with my rigg it shouldnt take 6 hrs to encode a blkuray to x265 MP4.

Did you try checking for a driver update for your computer's graphics card ??

Comment

The 2nd pass will use software only take longer for no real noticeable improvement in my opinion.I set mine for hi quality 1 pass takes a lot less time to convert and looks great on a 150" projection screen that's 12.5' dia.

Comment

I agree that 2-pass is not much of a bargain. I use 1-pass and Customized Quality with about 0.20 b/p, looks super on a retina display. The CUDA acceleration is working correctly on my 980 with driver 378.66.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

378.78 is fine too.
          How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
          Albert Einstein

Comment

i have the latest drivers. my rigg with 2xGTX 980 doesnt utilize CUDA either. but i think thats correct cuz 980 dont have HEVC support. Yeah btw, will 980 GTX ever support HEVC? i mean i bought 2 gtx 1080 just to get hw support for HEVC & HEVC10 and they are both at 0%.
            Last edited by HuskyPeter; 03-16-2017, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 3dman7 View Post
              The 2nd pass will use software only take longer for no real noticeable improvement in my opinion.I set mine for hi quality 1 pass takes a lot less time to convert and looks great on a 150" projection screen that's 12.5' dia.
              1 pass wont cut it for me, im encoding in so high bitrate that NOT doing 2 pass would be a waste of bitrate. Sure a 1 pass low bitrate looks great with x265 but i want good enought to be impossible from original source. And i see a diff between 1 and 2 pass. 1 pass is really only to analyse the harddrive, 2 pass is to defrag the harddrive if i may enter a metafor. and i went from 5Mbps to 20Mbps and found that 2 pass 15Mbps x265, is as close to source u can get without getting ridiculous size. My way a full lenght flick lands on between 7 - 15 GB. That acceptable to me. I have a 65" UHD 4k TV as computer screen. so i run the mixes in 4k (when they are source 1080p, THEN you can really see if the coding was good. If youve done it right then u almost think you have a 4k source.
              Last edited by HuskyPeter; 03-16-2017, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Have you tried the CRF decoder you may be able to do a 1 pass setting the decoder to lower settings produces better quality but the lower the setting the bigger the file size give it a try.6 hrs to do one movie is too long if you asked me.Theirs also the 4k resolutions in ripper you can try them for your 4ktv but their slow without cuda.

As a side note your 4k tv will up convert 2k to 4k to display on it's own screen and can introduce it's own side effects in doing so as can any kind of up-conversion so depending how well the TV does this with the 2k source may account for what you see also.

Comment

If it takes 6 hrs to convert your way consider this: The cost in electric and blank disk or hard drive space for this doesn't pay to do this anyway.If you look at Amazon prices for 4k movies new releases are between $4-$8 dollars more than blu rays and include the blu ray and digital versions also so you get a 4k disk a blu ray you can use as backup and convert if something happens to the 4k disk.Then you get a digital version for the kids or portable device so how can you go wrong buying the 4k disk for most movies that are 4k the list is long now and keeps getting bigger.

Also with 4k you get this that no blu ray has:

HDR stands for High Dynamic Range. HDR Video is the highest quality video available today. Where Ultra-HD was about improving picture detail by adding more pixels, HDR makes those pixels better. HDR offers greater brightness, shadow detail, and more color than traditional video.The result is a more true-to-life video experience revealing greater picture detail than ever before. Dark, shadowed scenes reveal more detail, bright objects jump off the screen, and colors are more vibrant.This is what makes 4k so good looking not 4ks extra resolution as it can't even be seen by most people unless you sit very close to the TV.I can prove this their are projectors https://www.amazon.com/Epson-Home-Ci...Cinema+5040UBe

that are 2k that use a jeti mind trick this is basically a 1080p signal with the pixels shifted to provide roughly 4 million pixels on the screen it does this by moving the chip so your mind see's a picture that's 4k but it's really a 2k 1080P projector that accepts 4k signals and uses the most important part of 4k HDR so the pictures looks just like 4k and it's really 2k.It also does out of this world 3d also from regular blu ray 3d disks.There are no 4k 3d disks and most 4k projectors or tv's won't do 3d also.

This projector costs today $2,800.00 cheap for what it does (This will be my next projector) a real 4k projector costs 8 grand and up.
                  I seen both with the same movie and can really say they looked so much alike
                  A 8 grand 4k Sony projector professional adjusted and this 2K Epson projector playing 2 different 4k movies looked the same so their you have it Resolution doesn't make 4k look good but HDR does and they both have it.Others agree with me so its just not me.I just wanted to tell you this because the 4k disk is so much better with HDR than the blu ray can ever be.
                  Last edited by 3dman; 03-17-2017, 06:21 AM.

Comment

Have you tried the CRF decoder you may be able to do a 1 pass setting the decoder to lower settings produces better quality but the lower the setting the bigger the file size give it a try.6 hrs to do one movie is too long if you asked me.Theirs also the 4k resolutions in ripper you can try them for your 4ktv but their slow without cuda.

As a side note your 4k tv will up convert 2k to 4k to display on it's own screen and can introduce it's own side effects in doing so as can any kind of up-conversion so depending how well the TV does this with the 2k source may account for what you see also.
                    Ive tried CRF. nothing there either. Is BlixtShrink better than unmark it and select CUDA? Which is best?

Comment

If it takes 6 hrs to convert your way consider this: The cost in electric and blank disk or hard drive space for this doesn't pay to do this anyway.If you look at Amazon prices for 4k movies new releases are between $4-$8 dollars more than blu rays and include the blu ray and digital versions also so you get a 4k disk a blu ray you can use as backup and convert if something happens to the 4k disk.Then you get a digital version for the kids or portable device so how can you go wrong buying the 4k disk for most movies that are 4k the list is long now and keeps getting bigger.

Also with 4k you get this that no blu ray has:

HDR stands for High Dynamic Range. HDR Video is the highest quality video available today. Where Ultra-HD was about improving picture detail by adding more pixels, HDR makes those pixels better. HDR offers greater brightness, shadow detail, and more color than traditional video.The result is a more true-to-life video experience revealing greater picture detail than ever before. Dark, shadowed scenes reveal more detail, bright objects jump off the screen, and colors are more vibrant.This is what makes 4k so good looking not 4ks extra resolution as it can't even be seen by most people unless you sit very close to the TV.I can prove this their are projectors https://www.amazon.com/Epson-Home-Ci...Cinema+5040UBe

that are 2k that use a jeti mind trick this is basically a 1080p signal with the pixels shifted to provide roughly 4 million pixels on the screen it does this by moving the chip so your mind see's a picture that's 4k but it's really a 2k 1080P projector that accepts 4k signals and uses the most important part of 4k HDR so the pictures looks just like 4k and it's really 2k.It also does out of this world 3d also from regular blu ray 3d disks.There are no 4k 3d disks and most 4k projectors or tv's won't do 3d also.

This projector costs today $2,800.00 cheap for what it does (This will be my next projector) a real 4k projector costs 8 grand and up.
                      I seen both with the same movie and can really say they looked so much alike
                      A 8 grand 4k Sony projector professional adjusted and this 2K Epson projector playing 2 different 4k movies looked the same so their you have it Resolution doesn't make 4k look good but HDR does and they both have it.Others agree with me so its just not me.I just wanted to tell you this because the 4k disk is so much better with HDR than the blu ray can ever be.

Well if both gtx 1080 would help, it should be down to 1-2hrs i think.

Comment

Well I did Avatar with your settings I have a I-7 with 1-1060 3.40ghz and using cuda with 1st pass and software with 2nd pass.Even though the Fab running log says your using cuda for second pass your not as frame count goes down.
                        I was getting about 20 fps with cuda and about 8 FPS in second pass it took about 13 hours for this 2.5 hr movie that's with cuda one card.So how much faster can the second card make i really don't know but it sure did look great on my 150 inch screen.

I don't understand why your not seeing cuda work for you.Post a internal log file with the latest version of Fab and we will take a look at it.Check my screen shot in Fab settings yours should say cuda in all the boxes and at the bottom Fab tells you what is supported.Also have lightning shrink checked marked.You are converting from hard drive not disk correct? and it's not 3d correct?
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by 3dman; 03-18-2017, 12:09 AM. Reason: added last few words

Comment

it says: 2ass CUDA acceleration activated. i tried to disable blixtshrink which made it use about 0.1-->1.0%. whats going on?

Comment

Try reinstalling the graphics card ??

Comment

Post the internal log file with the latest Fab version so we can check for things you won't see.Check to see if theirs a graphics card update.The log file will also tell me what version number your graphics card is using and if it's up to date and any error's and much more.Also post the Fab check file.

This is my latest graphics card and driver/cuda version is your the same?
                              GPU check: Graphics info 1: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB : 21.21.13.(7878 : 6.1)
                              Last edited by 3dman; 03-18-2017, 04:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X