This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WhoDatRazor View Post
    Hello again guys. First, 3dman7: the firmware on this and your other firmware link is the one I tried downloading. It's the one that listed as an app that I mentioned earlier. It didn't help and I just uninstalled it using Revo. There were no leftover files to delet after using its own uninstall program. As Turak mentioned, being firmware (utility), it shouldn't have shown up as an installed program, making me wonder what the heck it is. Anyway it didn't help, and now it's gone. Next, I don't have a blu ray media player anymore on my computer. I used to have Total Media Theater, which worked well and sounded surprising good on my crappy Gateway 2 speakers and Woofer. I never watch blu rays on my computer, and since I would have to buy it again (yearly subscirption), I chose not to. An online source said VLC Media Player would work with blu rays, but does not. However, I did load DVDFab's Virtual Drive and the VSO Inspector program and loaded the iso onto the Virtual Drive and tested it on VSO Inspector. It came out 100% on the test. Don't understand why there is the intermediate step of playing it first on a media player and testing the media player. Anyway, just tested the original blu ray disc on VSO Inspector. It showed no problems or errors. I may have jumped the gun getting a new Pioneer drive, but am sick and tired of the DL frizbees. Also, I ordered some of your recommended Digistor 25GB and 50 GB blanks. If they work better than mine, it'll save me some big $. Thanks for that. I will try burning a long 25+GB movie just to see if I get the error, but I'm not optimistic. What's one more frizbee? I'll hold off asking about the Cloud stuff I mentioned in the last post. One at a time.

october 262: As these posts show, I'm still having the same problem. Thanks for asking.

Turak: Thanks for answering so soon. The Pioneer is on the way and I'm hopeful. It'll be well worth it if the problem stops. I agree it would be real nice to know the quality of each burn, especially while trying to find the best blanks to use, but I'll probably hold off awhile getting a refurbished Lite-on for that. I've already gone thru some serious $. Thanks for the suggestion of reselling one or both ASUS's on Ebay. I may very well do that. Can't return them now, too long. Gonna see how the Pro Digistor discs 3dman suggested will work first. Thanks for all the help and time guys. As they would say where I'm from, Ya'll are blowin' me away! Will keep you posted.
    What is the model number of the pioneer burner
    That you ordered ??

Comment

ASUS Firmware Updates.....

Found out why you can not find any firmware updates for the ASUS Blu-Ray Burners.......

I spoke directly with ASUS tech support, they DO NOT make any FIRMWARE updates for their Blu-Ray Optical Drives. Man is that sad.......

Based on that fact alone.....I would never recommend an ASUS Blu-Ray burner to anyone.

And yes, that program on their web site is nothing more than a power/energy saver.....basically useless. It just powers down or puts the burner in an energy saving mode when its idle.

He ordered a Pioneer BDR-209DBK. Good Burner, he will be very happy with that and Pioneer actually does do Firmware updates for their Burners....

They (Pioneer) also have a utility that lets you adjust a couple things in the Burner, basically putting it into a Quiet mode or Performance mode. Adjusting the read mode called 'Pure Read' although I recommend you leave it off. Slows the drive down in an attempt for additional accuracy by performing multiple reads of the sectors on the disc. It can also set the drive back to factory defaults.

Sheesh hard to believe that ASUS does not have any Firmware updates for their Blu-Ray burners.
      Last edited by Turak; 04-08-2017, 02:19 AM.

Comment

Firmware update for the Pioneer drive

WhoDatRazor......

When you get your Pioneer Burner. Check the firmware. It should be v1.34.

If it is not, you can get it here;

Go to that link. Select the 'Check here for available firmwares' line. Then in the new windows that pops up, scroll down until you find your drive model. You can then look at the changes they have made to the firmware and download the new firmware.

You can get the Drive Utility in the same place. At the very top where it says BD/DVD/CD Drive, to the right of it, select Drive Utility. Then scroll down slightly to to the section that says BDR-209EBK/BDR-209UBK and select the download button. Do not worry it will work on your drive, they just didn't list the DBK extension.

Note - DO NOT interrupt the firmware update. Also once you update it, you CAN NOT go back to the previous firmware. You won't need to so don't worry about it.
        Last edited by Turak; 04-08-2017, 02:25 AM.

Comment

If you want a free media player that plays files on the hard drive including blu rays free download Fabs own media player it won't play disks unless you get the paid version.VLC is another good media player it's also free and plays everything from the computer well but doesn't do Atmos soundtracks but Fab media player does it all free except play from disk with Fab media player so give it a try there's also a 30 day free trial of the pro version that does play from disk handy to have to test files made before burning to disk.

The tester program VSO inspector works without putting a disk in it to play in still mode but for many years moderator CBR929 always gave this out as how to use this program so I picked it up from him but it doesn't say this on their internet page.Here's what it says and theirs a sector test to test disks also.The how to use this program could of changed with updates to it.Here's what it says now.
          Editing software, video burning, DVD, Bluray, WebM,... and video downloading from the internet. Custom your own videos menu!

Comment

Latest Reply

I deleted that utility update, and the ASUS seems to be doing better. I think I got a good burn of The Revenant, over 30GB. No wri5te error message using a 50GB Verbatim blank. About 1/3 watching the playback, so far so good. Also got a good burn (hopefully) on Banshee Season 1 Disc 1. At least a successful with no Write Error. Will watch it next. Wonder if removing that bogus utility is helping. 3dman: I didn't open it and look before deleting. Not sure I would have known what to look for. Anyway, got those Digistors on the way, the Pioneer burner also, and last night got a Lite-on DH-12E3SH blu ray supposedly new for $46 on Ebay, even tho Lite-on is out of production. Turak, I that model will work on that slick scanner you gave me. Decided going this far and experimenting with new blanks, it would be very helpful to be able to scan copies for burn quality. Maybe my inner Geek is emerging . 3dman, will look at that VSO Inspector manual. Checking the Band of Brothers Disc 3 iso on the C: drive and the blu ray disc itself with it, I got 100% good /no problems or errors on either. Did try running first on VLC but got incompatibility error. I saw that DVDFab media player, but haven't tried it yet. Will look at the Inspector manual and decide whether to try a media player step. I'll fall over if the Banshee multi-episode turns out to be good. Still don't regret getting the better drives. Will let you guys know. Thanks once again.
            Last edited by WhoDatRazor; 04-08-2017, 03:32 PM. Reason: Added about maybe trying a media player as middle step.

Comment

I told you to burn a different disk like Avatar on a 2 layer disk I bet it was that one disk you were trying to burn.Anyway glad its burning 2 layer disks again.
              Here's what a lot of us went to for storing movies Seagate Expansion 4TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 $115.00 at amazon.I use two 5tb models one as a backup for the other much cheaper than disks and no more burning disks just rip right to the hard drive very fast they use 3.0.UBS and you can store hundreds of movies in a compressed format i make hi quality MKV movies and only keep a few as 50 gig iso's.Their the size of a book and portable enough to bring with you on a trip.I do back up this Hugh drive with a second should something happen to one.You can also get insurance from seagate for hard drive failure a recovery service.They also have streaming to hard drives and they have cloud drives now also just google Seagates main page but buy from amazon for better prices.

Comment

Scanning discs

I am pretty sure that any Lite-On Blu-Ray burner will work fine for scanning the Blu-Rays & DVD's for burn quality. They all used a Mediatek chipset in them.

Keep in mind, that you have to actually burn them BEFORE you try to do a 'quality' scan on them.

It's up to you, but even if you did seem to get the Asus burners working, you may want to just go ahead and get rid of them....sell them, return them, etc. You will have MUCH better results and a lot less problems with the Pioneer Burner. Especially since it sounds as if you may never be able to get any firmware updates for the ASUS burners.

Once you get them and get them installed.....and are ready to do some burn 'quality' scanning. I can give you some tips. One tip right off the bat, always scan them at either 4x or 8x and stick to that for all your scans so you can compare them. You should not try to compare scans done at 4x with scans done at 8x.

Comment

Saturday

Hey Guys. Still not sure about the 50 GB discs yet. Haven't gotten any of the burn error messages lately and frankly don't know why they stopped. Some of the multi-episode discs have LOTS of use, if you know what I mean, and those are getting playback freeze ups, but I'm getting successful burns. Using my Band of Brothers discs as tests because they have practically no usage. Checking them right now for freeze ups. Burned two B of B's so far.

3dman: used The Revenant because I think I only burned the Main Movie and it was well over 30 GB's. Don't have Avatar (watched it at the theater). Tried to Google blu ray movies over 25GB but couldn't find a list. Any other title suggestions? Right now I have a 1 and 2 TB Seagate external drive, but don't have the new 3.0 USB ports on my computer, so copying takes a lot longer. Right now using the 1TB as computer backup (half empty) and the 2TB is half full with some blu rays, DVD's, downloaded videos, etc. and I think the Ext Drives are 2.0 USB's. Still mostly using discs for movie & TV episode backups. Many!! Not familiar with compressed MKV's. Never heard of it. Your 5 TB Seagate idea is interesting. Don't think my Lenovo tablet has a USB port though. Today was exploring cloud storage, especially for mobile android tablet use (my Samsung phone's screen is too small). Already have Dropbox installed but haven't used it much yet. My Windows 10 keeps trying to get me to set up its One Drive and I could set up Google Drive. Also need to set up a computer backup on a cloud. This is all new to me. Suggestions on how to copy movies or TV stuff to a cloud for mobile use? DVDFab has a video converter mode I own. Would I need to convert blu rays and DVD's down to mp4 or ??? I've just increased my internet speed way up to 300MB/sec download and about 35 MB/sec upload. That should reduce copy to cloud time, right? Would MKV compression work? Cloud storage limits would be an issue. Hugh drive? Cloud drives on Seagate external drives? Haven't gone to their website yet.

Turak: When you say I have to burn the disc before scanning it, do you mean I need to burn on the Lite-on before quality scanning on it, or could I burn on the Pioneer and scan on the Lite-on as long as the speeds are the same? We can talk more later when I get set up. Haven't gotten either drive yet - next week some time.

Stay tuned...

Comment

This thread had strayed off topic. Start a new thread if needed and stay on topic.

Thread closed.
                    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
                    Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                    X