Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The great Gatsby 2hrs 22 mins5secs,
    The force awakens 2hrs18mins06secs,
    Marvel's Captain America civil war 2hrs 27 min 41 secs.
    These are also long movies should you have them you won't have to buy Avatar.

Please put a 25gig and a 50 gig Digistor disk in img burn and see if their still make by TDK.

In any case if the Digistor's burn well there's a whole lot of money saved as I burned hundreds of them when I was burning disks and never had a disk not burn or play but these were really TDK disks as Img burn revealed however this was years ago so lets check to see if their still made by TDK.Also you may want to try a burn with the old drives and one digistor disk the main one you had trouble with to see if the second layer will now burn this will prove what i have been saying all along get better media.
    Last edited by 3dman; 04-14-2017, 02:11 AM. Reason: Added info.

Comment

Digistor problems

What is the MID code for the Digistor discs you have?

You can see that with ImgBurn, or with the Opti Drive Control program.

I looked at some recent SL 25GB Digistors and the code was MID: CMCMAG-BA5-000. Which is a CMC Magnetics disc....middle of the road quality at best. They are made in Taiwan.

I only had a couple DL Digistor 50GB Blu-Ray discs to look at and the MID code was CMCMAGDI6. Again made by CMC Magnetics...These seem to be a bit better quality that previous CMC Magnetics Blu-Rays. I have seen these give better quality burns than the Verbatims made in Taiwan.

The original Digistors were made by TDK, but they have since switched to CMC Magnetics it appears.

The general opinions are that Verbatim (Made in Japan) and Panasonic (Made in Japan) tend to make the best High quality Blu-rays. SL Verbatims will have MID code VERBATIMe. DL Verbatims will have the code VERBATIMf, older ones will be VERBATIMd.

Any of the Verbatims (made in Taiwan) tend to give a slightly lower quality burns. The problem here is that they also use the MID code VERBATIMf, which is sad. Means the only way to see where they are made is by looking at the label on the spindle.

Panasonics (Made in Japan) will have the code MEI-T02-001. Note I have see these labeled as Verbatims, but they are really Panasonics. These have given me some of the BEST quality burns ever. Even better than the Verbatims.

Notice a pattern here......

The BETTER Blu-Ray discs tend to be made in Japan. But they also tend to be a bit more expensive. Discs made in Taiwan tend to be more Middle of the road quality. But they also tend to be a little cheaper.

Using the Pioneer Burner...

I do have to admit that I have ran into a newer Ritek Blu-Ray that has given me some decent results MID Code RITEKDR3.

I am not saying that Digistors are bad or lower quality. You will simply have to test burn a few on your Pioneer burner and then quality scan them if you can and see what type of burn quality you end up with.

As to your scanning problem....if possible, check to see if there is a Firmware update for that Lite-On burner. It could be that it is having problems (MID code not in its internal library) with the Digistor DL disc if it is indeed the newer CMCMAGDI6 disc. I believe the latest firmware for that drive (essentially a Lite-On drive rebadged for Dell) is Version MD11, A02.
      Here is the link to that firmware update if you need it.

Don't know why its under Dells Drivers section, it really is a Firmware update for the Burner.
      Last edited by Turak; 04-14-2017, 03:26 AM.

Comment

Their internet page says their made in Japan by Phase Change Media mine were TDK's.(Phase Change Media may be a process not a company as far as I know)

DIGISTORĀ® 25GB 6X Blu-ray Disc Recordable BD-R Media, White Inkjet Printable Surface - 25 pack (DIG-11226-25)

Professional Grade Long Life
        Phase Change Media made in Japan
        Long Term Secure Storage for all your Digital Assets with Scratch Resistant Blu-ray Discs
        Brilliant photo quality results on a hub-printable BD-R disc for HD Recording, Playback, Data & Video Archiving

$24.75
        Qty:

25GB Professional Grade Inkjet Printable
        -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        DIGISTORĀ® 50GB 6X Blu-ray Disc Recordable BD-R Media, White Inkjet Printable Surface - 25 pack (DIG-11526-25)

Professional Grade Long Life
        Phase Change Media made in Japan
        Long Term Secure Storage for all your Digital Assets with Scratch Resistant Blu-ray Discs
        Brilliant photo quality results on a hub-printable BD-R disc for HD Recording, Playback, Data & Video Archiving

$49.00 ($1.96 each)
        Qty:
        Last edited by 3dman; 04-14-2017, 03:38 AM. Reason: added info.

Comment

3dman7

Hello again. The Digistor discs are made by MEI - Matsushita Electric/Panasonic out of Japan. The 25 GB are listed as MEI-RA1-001 in ImgBurn and MEIRA1-001 in Opti Drive. The 50 GB are MEI-RB1-001 in ImgBurn and MEIRB1-001 in Opti Drive.

After downloading 17 firmware updates using Iobit's Driver Booster 4 Free, which included some Intel chipset ones, that should have solved any driver reversions caused by Windows 10 that Turak mentioned. Downloaded the firmware update for the new Pioneer drive. I reburned the BofB D3 iso to the C: drive I was getting so many of those Write errors on. The copies look great on the Pioneer so far with no burn errors. I tried my Verebatim and your Digistor on DVDFab w/ DVDFab Burn Engine @ 6X. See my earlier post today.
          I tried rescanning the digistor, but Opti Drive didn't scan it at all on the 2nd and 3rd tries. Showed scan complete immediately with no data. I found a firmware that might be right for this Lite-on burner that was an OEM for HP. It is not on the Lite-on website because this drive was made for Hewlett Packard. Since the Digistors aren't scanning, I'll try using ImgBurn. It's just I'm getting such lovely results with the DVDFab burning engine. I have learned that ImgBurn is considered the best. You and Turak disagree on using OPC. I will try it ON first, and see if I can get a scan on your Digistor. Then OFF, then I'll try this firmware update. It would be nice to compare scan results with the Verbatims. For the price, yours are hard to beat. Any other ideas?

Thanks for the 50 GB movie ideas. I only have Captain America Civil War and it's not store bought. Hey, do you happen to know how large the new Star Wars Rogue One is? If I buy one, I wouldn't mind having that one. The special effects should be a good test.

I'm not getting that Write error hardly at all any more, so I'm very encouraged and I appreciate all your time and effort. Thanks again.

Just saw your last post. These are the Digistors I bought.
          Last edited by WhoDatRazor; 04-14-2017, 04:13 AM. Reason: Added a sentence on end.

Comment

Should be good quality

The MEI RA1 (001) and the MEI-RB1-001 are definitely Panasonic disks made in Japan.

Panasonic LM-BR25MDE / 6x / Japan / 2011
            MID: MEI RA1 (001)

Panasonic LM-BR50MDE / 6x / Japan / 2011
            MID: MEI RB1 (001)

Apparently Digistor switches their disc providers every so often. Started out using TDKs, then went to CMC Magnetics, now apparently using Panasonics. At least they went in the right direction....the Panasonics are typically one of the best higher quality discs.

I would expect that you should get Good quality burns from those. I personally do not have any of those, so I have never tested them on my Pioneer Burner or quality scanned them with my Lite-On so I can not really say. You will have to test them as best you can and see what results you get.

The OPC setting is ONLY for 'Burning' discs and should not have any effect as far as scanning them goes. Scanning is just reading the disc.

As to the setting the OPC On or OFF, I don't think that 3dman7 and I really disagree overall. We just have slightly different opinions maybe about when it is needed. I think it should be left OFF, unless you absolutely have to have it on to make burning a disc work. It can cause other problems including lower quality burns if you do not need it ON. That is why ImgBurn intentionally defaults it to OFF and that has been my experience too.

If the Hp Firmware update will not install on your rebadged Lite-On, you may want to give the Dell Firmware update that I pasted the link to above a try. But you should really just look at what firmware it has in it already. You should be able to see that with either ImgBurn, or the Opti Drive Control program.
            Last edited by Turak; 04-14-2017, 05:05 AM.

Comment

WhoDatRazor:On the OPC before burn remember I deal with log files as they don't lie and say exactly what you did with that said I told you to check mark OPC before burn because you didn't have it checked marked and your log file said so I even posted that fact it didn't work with it unchecked so now we will check it and slow burn speed.

Also because I have many year burning disks and helping people I know cheap disks don't burn well and changing to better media and or slowing burn speed always cures this problem in fact if you listened to my advice none of the stuff you brought was necessary at all except for the new disks.With this said using cheaper disks with OPC before burn works with slower burn speeds in many cases.And remember the Pioneer firmware updates say burning for Ritec a real cheap disk was included that's why some people can use them but most not.My new Star wars movie is 3d they always have more info. in them than the regular blu ray maybe someone else can say how many gigs the 2D blu ray is.
              Last edited by 3dman; 04-14-2017, 05:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X