Update Broken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update Broken

DVDFab Virtual Drive wants to update every time I reboot. If I click on Update it says there is no file to download. The only option is to Cancel.

This is harmless, but annoying. I have unchecked the box to check for new versions.

Is this fixable

If you version of virtual drive is 1.5.0.0 then it's the latest.You can delete it use cc cleaner the free version and clean your old files then clean the registry till nothing shows up as problems in the registry.Then download a new copy from the Fab front page and check your settings for it.No one else is reporting this so I say it's on your end.

Comment

Actually I did report this awhile ago before the dvdfab.com domain was seized.
      Posted in General Questions

Virtual Drive Keep getting Update Available Lately

No one ever replied to my post and I haven't seen any updates which would address the change in the dvdfab domain for updates which would mean a change in version number albeit a minor change.

The post contains more specific details, but as for update, it kept saying that update 12.68.60.65498 was available.

Since the domain was seized, I just added 127.0.0.1 dvdfab.com to my host file to prevent it from checking for updates.

Comment

Their are 34,199 forum members and only 1-2 complaining I would think their would be a lot more members complaining if this was a widespread thing and I don't see this happening.

Therefore i would advise deleting the virtual drive and all it's files cleaning the registry then update with a fresh copy from Fab front page.

I suspect the reason you got no answer is because no one else was effected.Sometimes a corrupted download or file can do things like this and is more likely than a problem with the program.

Comment

I have not received this message either, but you can turn off automatic update checking on Virtual Drive's Settings page if it is a problem.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

"you can turn off automatic update checking on Virtual Drive's Settings page if it is a problem"

That does not fix this problem. It still pops up the update notice on every boot.

Comment

It does not do that on my PC. Which version are you using?
              Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
              Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

To stop this problem, open Windows Explorer

Make sure that in "Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View tab" that you have These items selected:

Hidden files and Folders: Show hidden files, folders and drives

Deselect - Hide extensions for knows for known folder types
                Deselect - Hide protected operating system files

Select - Launch folder windows in a separate process

Select the OK button.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Now go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

There will be a file called HOST or host (doesn't matter if it's upper or lower case) the file should have no file extension on it.

Right Click on the file, then select Properties then UnCheck - "Read-only"

Open the file using a text editor such as TextPad, Notepad++, EditPlus, UltraEdit.

What ever your favorite text editor is as Host files can get quit large if you have a security program which regularly uses this file and the Windows notepad can choke on large files. If your Host file hasn't been used yet, then notepad won't have any problem opening it.

Once you open the file, add the following line to it then save and close the file.

127.0.0.1 dvdfab.com

if you're running Windows 8 or higher then use 0.0.0.0 instead of 127.0.0.1

If when you save the file a file extension appears, then just rename then file to remove the added .txt

Right Click on the file again, then select Properties then Check - "Read-only"

This should take care of your problem.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Signals

the latest version listed 1.5.0.0 still has dvdfab.com hard coded into it as the update source and so far
                I haven't seen no new update revisions posted to address this Minor change seeing as the current domain is dvdfab.cn

My guess is someone might have found a security exploit in the update mechanism and might be actively
                exploiting it which may (or not) explain why not everyone is seeing this.
                Could possibly come from IP Injection too.

The following is from my original post which I had linked on May 4th.

Code:
                Because of there being no newer updates listed in the forum, I've been
                ignoring this notification. But now what with DVDFab.com having been shut
                down and all that, it's got me to wondering. So I deliberately checked the
                Update feature and here is what it shows:

Latest Version: 12.68.60.65498

Update Server: <title> </title>

<script type="text/javascript">
                function bredir(domain, url, ref, landerView, landerUrl, ldr, ifc) {
                var widthDiff, heightDiff, banner;
                var width = 0;
                var height = 0;
                var match = false;
                var l = false;

// width, height, mystery 3rd value
                var bannerSizes = [
                [300, 250, false],
                [250, 250, false],
                +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

glenns

Just so you know, I'm a Professional who specializes in Systems Security. I keep all my systems on my network locked down tight and in tip top running order so to speak. Also because of my dealing with Systems Security, I can detect and remove the worst RootKits and other parasites and I am extremely paranoid when it comes to being online. Even posting this bit of information has me hesitating because I can only imagine the kind of stuff you might retaliate with instead of just taking me at my word and realizing that I'm dead serious with what I'm saying as I'm being truthful here.

Part of my paranoia is with how spiteful and cruel other people can be online instead of just accepting people who might otherwise not be out there at all. This is part of the reason why I rarely post online.

BTW...

The rare instances where I ever have to call for tech support for anything, I always ignore who ever I get and request someone higher up the ladder who actually knows what's what instead of just reading from a script in a manual. Someone I can talk to on equal terms and who understand what I'm referring to so we can get things solved quickly. Cause nothing pisses me off more than talking to an AOL Tech (someone who reads from a script) and treats you like you know nothing.

Yeah I tried AOHell at one point, but then again, I used to run my own Multi-Node WildCat BBS in the Early 1990's for awhile too.
                I had L.oR.D. (Legend of the Red Dragon) with all the add ons and I had quite a few other Doors too for my BBS. Had users from all over the country log in too.
                Last edited by ゲゲゲの鬼太郎; 05-10-2014, 03:58 PM. Reason: Forgot to add a piece of info regarding the file and the read only attribute.

Comment

Originally posted by ゲゲゲの鬼太郎 View Post
                  Signals

the latest version listed 1.5.0.0 still has dvdfab.com hard coded into it as the update source and so far
                  I haven't seen no new update revisions posted to address this Minor change seeing as the current domain is dvdfab.cn
                  Thanks ゲゲゲの鬼太郎
                  I have fixed the link
                  Last edited by CBR929; 05-11-2014, 03:58 PM.
                  Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Thanks CBR929 for fixing the update link.

I just downloaded and installed the updated Virtual Drive after cleaning out all traces of the previous copy.

First thing I noticed is there are a few minor things you might want to address.

In the "About" Dialog box:

1 - h t t p://www.dvdfab.com is plainly linked in the bottom left corner

2 - For other products, the links for DVD Copy and Blu-ray Copy both go to dvdfab.com

3 - The copyright date ought to be updated to 2001-2014 (Currently shows 2001-2012)

4 - Seeing as the Update Link needed to be updated along with the stuff listed above, the
                    version number probably should be updated to say 1.5.0.1 (or some such) to reflect the
                    "Minor" change plus the fact that old versions are still floating around.

Comment

Thanks
                      I will have the DVD Fab team make those changes, I can not do that.
                      CBR929
                      Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Working...
                      X