Read errors on many blu-ray rips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Read errors on many blu-ray rips

I had a failed hard drive and need to re-rip many discs. DVD's are fine but about half my blu-rays are failing part way through and the logs show read errors. These discs are all in perfect condition. I have tried the following:
    1. Clean discs
    2. Used different machine (1 Intel, 1 AMD)
    3. Tried full copy, MKV Passthrough and MKV compressed.
    4. Tried software only codec etc
    5. Reset DVDFab back to defaults.

It doesn't matter what I have tried, they all fail at different stages, some at 10% some at 30% etc. The rip completes and DVDFab reports success, but the file size shows they stopped after the read fails.

Some examples of failed discs are Argo, The Hunger Games, Valkyrie. Can somebody please help?

Please post the dvdfab internal log files.
    Also check your dvd/ bluray drive's and graphics card and see if
    They have the latest firmware and driver updates.

Comment

Log attached. Yes I am running the latest graphics drivers and the firmware is up to date on both bluray drives.
      Attached Files

Comment

Are you running dvdfab " as administrator " ??
        Might also try disabling the lightning shrink encoding
        Under the av codec option.
        Last edited by october262; 01-23-2017, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Yes I am running it as Admin. I just tried disabling the lightning shrink encoding with no luck. I also have the same problem with version 9.

It is possible that the problem is the age of the drives. Both are about 3 years old. Although the firmware is the latest there hasn't been a new release in some years.

Technology hasn't changed much in blu-ray drives so I think this is unlikely but I am considering buying a new one to try. A bit of an expensive experiment though as these are $150NZD. Before I go spending my hard earned cash do you have any other suggestions? Is this a common problem?

Comment

Read errors are usually caused by a dirty or defective disc.
            You might try Uninstalling your dvd / bluray drive's restart
            Your computer and let windows reinstall the drives and see
            If that helps.

Comment

I know there is nothing wrong with the drivers on both systems. I am an IT Consultant and build systems all the time. These two are in good shape. I just tried doing an iso rip to see if that went any better. It failed at 50% but the logs gave me a different result.

09:32:20
              Clone process started
              10:05:06
              Task_1 failed! Error=102

That was the total content of dvdfab_process.log using ver 9.3.2.1. Does this error code mean anything to you?

My main system is:
              Intel i7-4770K
              16GB RAM
              GeForce GTX 750 Ti graphics card (Driver ver 376.33)
              LG CH12LS28 Blu-ray Drive
              Windows 10 Pro

Now that is a pretty sweet system for ripping discs. Just for the hell of it I will un-install and reinstall the BD drivers but that is a real long shot as it works perfectly doing everything else.

Comment

Another thing to try is to go into common settings - drives - read, and
                Tick ignore all reading errors automatically and un tick enable
                Read - ahead cache.

Comment

For the read error, it also may be caused by old Blu-ray drive.
                  DVDFab is the all-in-one software package for copying Blu-ray/DVD and converting video file.
                  http://www.dvdfab.cn

Comment

Well thank you everyone for some very helpful suggestions. I have tried them all, but no luck. I am starting to feel the drives are too old. I will purchase a new LG BH16NS55 tomorrow and I’ll report back.

While this is obviously frustrating, I have enjoyed looking a bit deeper into DVDFab workings and have learnt a few things from you so these things are never a waste of time. I have also appreciated how quick the response has been.

Comment

Well I bought a new LG BH16NS55 drive and I still have the same problems, so I spoke with the local Video Store owner. He told me it was extremely rare for them to have Blu-ray discs with errors although he was talking about playback and not backing up. He offered me discs to compare and see if I had better results. Obviously you wouldn't normally do this but we are just trying to identify the problem.

The movies in question are Star Wars Phantom Menace, Argo and Hunger Games. All three failed on mine and his using DVDFab, MakeMKV and VSO Inspector. All with read errors.

Now I don't believe for one minute that all six of these discs are faulty. I am starting to believe the issue is in the drive technology itself. There are no firmware upgrades available for the LG BH16 yet and my understanding is there are very few manufacturers still making Blu-ray drives. In fact, the only other model available here is an ASUS. I really don't want to go and buy ANOTHER drive just to try and prove this theory.

Does anybody have any further wise ideas?

Comment

There is a guide - http://www.dvdfab.cn/blu-ray-copy.htm
                        Also try using vso inspecter - http://www.videohelp.com/software/VSO-Inspector
                        Scan the disc for errors
                        Last edited by october262; 01-27-2017, 03:02 AM.

Comment

I have a BH16NS55 (FW 1.00) in a USB 3.0 enclosure that works without errors and reads Blu-rays, including all the Star Wars titles, at high speeds. Check your SATA cables for loose or dirty connections and make sure the driver for your SATA card/chipset is up to date. The BH16 is a great drive.
                          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

In my experience read errors means the drive doesn't like the disc... usually because the disc is damaged in some way (this includes being dirty).

Another thing to keep in mind is not all drives are created equal. I have 4 of the exact same drive running he exact same firmware and one of them is able to read discs that the other 3 can't. And 1 of then 4 is significantly more sensitive than the other 3.

Sometimes if a disc looks good try holding it up to a bright ceiling light... you'll see all kinds of scuffs and scratches that may be messing things up.

Keep in mind that a bd player is less supseptable to errors than fab because fab is trying to read and encode all of the info. A player is just going to skip the bad frame and you're not going to notice that 1 of 24 frames was lost when watching the movie. So that's why you may think you have a good disc when it's not good enough for the ripper.

Comment

Are the discs you are trying to rip the original BDs or backup copies? If backup then perhaps its a media issue. Are they perhaps BD-R LTH (low to high)? If they are, these discs are organic and not metal, which are HTL. There have been many reported issues of LTH type BD-Rs going bad after a while. Some time back, I had a friend who backed up over 100 titles on BD-R LTH type discs and 6 months later 80% of them failed to read. He backed them all up again on HTLs and a year later they were still fine. Maybe this is not the case here if you are ripping from originals, but wanted to pass the info along just in case.

Comment

Working...
                              X