No announcement yet.

Media Player will not work in macOS Sierra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't apologise for posting on this thread, but, we've all been waiting for Media Player for Mac to be updated so that it works again.

I, along with many other, paid good money for it. And it's not been working for a long time now.

DVDFab are normally excellent at getting things sorted, but, with this one, they seem not to be bothered?!

Comment

I just purchased the media player for my mac only to find out it doesn't work...

I'm extremely disappointed. :'(

This is the error I receive, is this what everyone else is getting too?

Termination Reason: EXEC, [0xc] This UPX compressed binary contains an invalid Mach-O header and cannot be loaded.
      Last edited by nomb85; 03-28-2017, 05:40 AM.

Comment

As a follow-up, I was able to fix the media player and get it to run. This only applies if your error message was the same as the one I posted.

The issue arises when the packer they used, UPX, tries to decompress the media player to run it. There are a few reasons that I found this error can arise such as a) the markers that are supposed to be there were removed to hide information or b) the mach-o header is longer than it's expecting.

It's really easy to fix this and I'm surprised that DVDFab has not fixed this yet for the package that is available for download.

Step 1) Install homebrew or update it if it is already installed.

Step 2) Install the UPX package or update it if it is already installed. You should be on UPX version 3.93.

Step 3) Decompress the binary with the following command:
        upx -d /Applications/DVDFab\ Media\ Player.app/Contents/MacOS/DVDFab\ Media\ Player
        You will get output that looks like the following:
        Ultimate Packer for eXecutables
        Copyright (C) 1996 - 2017
        UPX 3.93 Markus Oberhumer, Laszlo Molnar & John Reiser Jan 29th 2017

File size Ratio Format Name
        -------------------- ------ ----------- -----------
        27130756 <- 12865536 47.42% macho/i386 DVDFab Media Player

Unpacked 1 file.
        Step 4) Repack the binary with the following command:
        upx /Applications/DVDFab\ Media\ Player.app/Contents/MacOS/DVDFab\ Media\ Player
        You will get output that looks like the following:
        Ultimate Packer for eXecutables
        Copyright (C) 1996 - 2017
        UPX 3.93 Markus Oberhumer, Laszlo Molnar & John Reiser Jan 29th 2017

File size Ratio Format Name
        -------------------- ------ ----------- -----------
        27126660 -> 11609616 42.80% macho/i386 DVDFab Media Player

Packed 1 file.
        I hope this helps someone. If it does not work for you than your issue is not the same as I posted above.
        Last edited by nomb85; 03-28-2017, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Just another quick note: performance for this player has been pretty poor. None of the HEVC video's i've tried to play work well at all. If anyone has any ideas i'd be interested in hearing them.

Comment

Thanks for the info on repacking the app. I used your instructions and all went fine. Most of my Blu-ray disks play fine (even in OS 10.11 they all didn't work). All of my MKV files work great so this is perfect until there update comes out. If it ever does.

Comment

Yea honestly I've always stood behind DVDFab and even bought the life time subscription on both Windows and Mac. But seriously this is ridiculous. I shouldn't have had to figure out the solution and its so simple they could do it in seconds and put version 2.5 back up for download and no one would be having issues.

Not being updated for 2 years also worries me but my hope is that they are just going to release a 3.x version and that's what they have been working on. One that is comparable to the 3.x version in Windows. Not a 2.5 mac version that was just re-numbered to be 3.x...

Comment

Still no update

It's May 19. MacOS 10.12.5 is out and still no update for this app. You guys really don't plan to update this app do you?

Comment

Working...
                X