X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And .... ?

Originally posted by Intelp4 View Post
    Oh ok, the one's I have are the light blue ones with the new Memorex logo on them.
    I hope I clarified which discs Intelp4. Please check your discs to see if they play for you. The purpose of this thread is to share information and knowledge. Perhaps you can enlighten the rest of us if you've had problems with your (light blue) Memorex discs. Have you had any of them go bad? If so, how many? When did you purchase/burn them? Any additional information you can furnish would surely help others here.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Mdy4Blues; 06-02-2011, 07:17 AM. Reason: spelling
    Hand Built PC - ECS RS400-A MoBo w/ 3.2ghz Pentium 4, 1.5 GB RAM, LG WH08LS20 Bluray burner, Sony DRU-842a DVD burner, Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT PCIE card w/1gb vram, 650w PS, Windows XP Pro/SP3, Maxtor 200gb/160gb & Seagate 1TB internal HDDs. Samsung HDCP-compliant 23" TFT-LCD monitor, stereo speakers. (Life's the perfect thing to pass the time away.)

Comment

Originally posted by Mdy4Blues View Post
      I hope I clarified which discs Intelp4. Please check your discs to see if they play for you. The purpose of this thread is to share information and knowledge. Perhaps you can enlighten the rest of us if you've had problems with your (light blue) Memorex discs. Have you had any of them go bad? If so, how many? When did you purchase/burn them? Any additional information you can furnish would surely help others here.

Cheers!
      Purchased and burned Dec 2010, they all still play fine.

Comment

I have been burning with these discs for a little over a year now:

I never burned a lot of blu-rays, so I don't know if these are the same as in the bigger spindles that are linked above. However, even the oldest ones I have (about 12-13 mos) still play perfectly in our playstation blu-ray drive or our older Sony Blu-Ray player in another room.

I use a Buffalo BR-X816U2 External DVD/BD RW connected to my laptop via USB cable (to save the wear and tear on my internal drive). I've had it for a couple of years now, and that thing is a total workhorse. It uses some connection Buffalo calls "Turbo USB". I'm not sure exactly what it is, but it does make the drive (and the connection between it and the computer) run pretty darn fast. I've scanned / burned hundreds of discs, and can probably count on one hand the number of times they came out bad. You can even watch a blu-ray movie from that drive on the computer without any stutter at all. Pretty cool.

Comment

Optical Quantum?

Does anyone have any Optical Quantum discs they can report about that they burned a year ago or longer? Also, if you can, post the Manufacturer's ID. I'm curious because I only started burning blu-rays at the the beginning of this year and I have a lot of those discs since they seem to be on sale the most. I'm assuming the worst but I would like to be pleasantly surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperFist View Post
            Does anyone have any Optical Quantum discs they can report about that they burned a year ago or longer? Also, if you can, post the Manufacturer's ID. I'm curious because I only started burning blu-rays at the the beginning of this year and I have a lot of those discs since they seem to be on sale the most. I'm assuming the worst but I would like to be pleasantly surprised.
            At $1/disk they are hard to pass up. I've burned about 30 of them so far over the past couple months so I don't have any longevity data, yet. Of the 30, all except one burned and verified without any issues. The one coaster was my fault -- I tried to burn it much faster than the rated speed.
            Life is too short to drink bad wine . . .

Comment

Originally posted by SuperFist View Post
              From what I understand disc code that contains RO4 are ok. They show up as phillips on imgburn. Anything else I'm assuming is Ritek which have been known to fail.
              http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817607025
              Notice the part/model# has RO4 in it? Those should be good!
              Last edited by btufail; 06-15-2011, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Optical Quantum 25GB 4X

I my self has started to back up on disc and this was the first question that came to mind was the life span of the media.

I bought this brand to test out some burning and at a little over $1 a disc these are reasonable.

So far I have only backed up two movies burned using the VSO ingine. sucker punch which played fine and Battle of LA now i did have problems with this playing correctky do not know if it was because of CINAVIA or because the disk seem to have had a small scratch on it prior to burning.

I will check back on my burned backups.

Comment

Sad...

This thread is depressing. I was under the impression that blu-ray was going to be manufactured under more stringent manufacturing guidelines than DVD+R, -R, RW etc. However, if manufacturers keep outsourcing their production to companies that manufacture garbage, like CMC Magnetics, brand names that worked a year ago might not be the same disks nowadays at all.
                  The only brand that's been consistently good has been verbatim, and I am probably only saying that because I never tried their LTH disks or the new lower priced version of their brand.

My view on reading threads about blu-ray quality gives me the impression that buying them is going to be as much of a crapshoot as buying dvd-5 or -9 blanks. What a shame.

Comment

My LG BD550 player had played Verbatim LTH media without a glitch... until a couple of weeks ago. Just stopped supporting LTH. Plays BD-R (non-LTH) without a problem. I called LG. They deny any firmware updates (player is connected to ethernet) which would have changed compatibility with LTH. Could it be "only my BD550"? Perhaps, but I googled BD550 and LTH and found other BD550 owners complaining of a change in compatibility too. I now am only using BD-R (non-LTH) type disks. If manufacturers decide not to support LTH with a simple firmware update, it just seems prudent to pay a tiny bit more for the non-LTH disks to better "guarantee" it will play.

Comment

Panasonic BD-R printable discs.

I have been using Panasonic BD-R's single layer Printable discs for the past several months with a LG burner and had no issues at all. Have burned around 80 discs now and not had any fail so far. I have not tried many other brands yet, apart from a Verbatim BD-R that came with the burner. I have had a problem with DVD stick on labels. Some DVD players don't like them at all. Half way through the disc they can give all sorts of playback issues.Some discs don't even read in some players at all. At first I thought it was the disc. I took the label off with some Label Remover and it now plays back fine. I have done this with several discs that were giving playback problems, and now with the labels off they have jumped back into life. It's very strange.

Comment

Originally posted by sherwood1948 View Post
                        I have been using Panasonic BD-R's single layer Printable discs for the past several months with a LG burner and had no issues at all. Have burned around 80 discs now and not had any fail so far. I have not tried many other brands yet, apart from a Verbatim BD-R that came with the burner. I have had a problem with DVD stick on labels. Some DVD players don't like them at all. Half way through the disc they can give all sorts of playback issues.Some discs don't even read in some players at all. At first I thought it was the disc. I took the label off with some Label Remover and it now plays back fine. I have done this with several discs that were giving playback problems, and now with the labels off they have jumped back into life. It's very strange.
                        Stick-On labels and optical media are a very bad combination. I have told folks for many years to not ever use stick-on labels on CDs, DVDs, etc. under any circumstances. Sooner or later, they will spoil your day big-time when the titles refuse to play or be read.

Comment

Or even worse when parts of them come off inside the player!!!!

Use printables and get a printer that can print direct to them.
                          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Been using a Epson printer for the past year AND using this CIS ( Continuous Ink System )

Which saves you a ton of money on ink costs and they are just as good as the OEM inks

Comment

I've been using VinPower and Optical Quantum which are both Philips R04. Never had a problem and they still work almost 2 years later.

Comment

Optical Quantum

Originally posted by bmiller View Post
                                I've been using VinPower and Optical Quantum which are both Philips R04. Never had a problem and they still work almost 2 years later.
                                I also have not had any failures in my Optical Quantum discs. I did manage to purchase some recently (silver colored rather than white) that were not Phillips RO4 but rather a Ritec. Hopefully the Ritec's will last too.

Comment

Working...
                                X