This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Admin Tips for new h265 Settings

A few tips on this new setting which you will find in DVDFab's DVD and Blu-ray Ripper modules:
    • The new setting is Fast speed (under Encoding Method).This is a choice that will reduce conversion time and output size dramatically, but there is no free lunch, the video quality is not as good as what is available with the other settings.
    • A 2+hour h264 Blu-ray will require about 2 hours to convert, less on some PCs, more on others. The title Snowpiercer was a little over 500 MB in size with 2-channel AAC audio. If you want the smallest file size, you will need to re-encode the audio, not pass through the multichannel stream (it will be 4X the size of the video in some cases!)
    • On a few systems, you may need to reboot your PC after installing v9.1.7.3 Beta for the new setting to work correctly.
    • Acceptable Source types are original disc, HDD folder or ISO (as for all other Fab Copy-Ripper modules).
    • Note that this is also available in DVD Ripper, producing an output file of about 188 MB for a complete 105 minute movie.
    • It is free to anyone with a DVD or Blu-ray Ripper license.
    • Note also that the DVDFab h265 options include user adjustable CRF encoding.
    This is a new setting on a fairly new feature (h265 HEVC) so I will leave this thread open for user feedback or questions. Please share your results so the developers can fine tune if necessary.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Okay here are my initial results. Originally I did not read the above instructions, I set the Ripper to HEVC H265.mp4 and lowered the resolution to 1280X720 but I did not change the audio to ACC , surprisingly enough the movie Battle LosAngles finished in a bit under 2 hours, with excellent quality but the file was 1.65gbs even though the indicator on the Fab Ripper was at 887mbs. So now that I know that the audio file has to be changed, I am doing another encode. The below pictures are from my initial tests
    Attached Files
    Programmer in Python,Java,JavaScript,Swift,PHP,SQL,C#,C++,Go,R

Comment

Okay I changed the audio to AAC or AC3 and then the res to the 1280 area and then Fast Speed, make sure you are on HEVC H265 .mp4 or .mkv ( great quality) now the file size is 455mbs and the quality is superb, remember this quality is great for mobile and computer screens but not Entertainment Centers.

The only thing I would like to see is a preset in the resolution drop downbox in Advanced settings in the Ripper to 1280X720 which is the perfect res for H265. Other than that Congrats on job well done, I might just buy another DVD Fab. Living in St Maarten has its advantages.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Chameleon; 11-09-2014, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Except for the volcanoes!
        How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
        Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
          Except for the volcanoes!
          Our volcanos become beautiful black beaches where beautiful women go to play in the sun, we have 183 beaches and 100 times as many beautiful women.

Comment

Touché
            How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
            Albert Einstein

Comment

My findings are with encoding method set for fast encoding.For all the video quality settings below using the H265 MKV profile set to keep the hd audio as that's why we buy blu rays for better picture and sound in my line of thinking.
              Fast speed video quality gives a picture that's good for small 5-10 inch screen sizes
              it gives the smallest file size and quickest conversion time but the video is not good for tv sizes you will see artifacts if used on tv's.

conclusion:
              I feel the standard setting so close to blu ray that to save file size and conversion time this setting should be used for blu rays keeping hd sound also.The file size is bigger but these setting reproduce what a blu ray should be in my eyes and ear's on a big screen tv.

I did my testing on a I-7 computer 8 gigs of memory using quick sync for video decoding.

It would be nice if Fab came up with a video encoding speed up program for H265 as conversion speed still needs improving.I can't see people with slower computers using this as it is now except for the fast speed small screen stuff.

Memory used was about 3.5 gigs always under 4 gigs.Also theirs no full 3d profile format to use with it only side by side 3d formats.FPS not listed they go up and down during conversion.

I also made a 3d side by side using high quality h265 mkv it reduced a 3d version of the movie Nurse main movie 23.161gigs to 2.92 gigs but takes about 1/2 hour longer to convert than the 2d version.also couldn't tell the difference from a good full 3d blu ray.

Comment

Post #1 has been updated with some new information.

Surge, your post was edited to keep it relevant to this thread. As noted previously, the Fast Speed setting is not designed for real TVs, but it is perfect for smartphones and tablets.
                Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
                  Post #1 has been updated with some new information.

Surge, your post was edited to keep it relevant to this thread. As noted previously, the Fast Speed setting is not designed for real TVs, but it is perfect for smartphones and tablets.
                  and why would you want to keep HD sound for a smartphone or a tablet? It makes no sense. I have used it with AAC and AC3 sound, the file is small and the quality is so good its great up to 27".

Comment

Lightning Recoding

I am in the Common Settings and can't find "Fast Speed".
                    I did find Lightning-Recording under Common Settings > A/V Codec but it was not enabled.

I just want to make sure it is not selected. I do not care how long the rip takes I want the highest audio and video quality possible. Is there a setting for that?

Thanks

Comment

FOR H265 the setting for Fast speed-Normal and others is in advanced settings on the left side when a movie is loaded into the fab program.
                      Last edited by data446; 03-15-2015, 11:00 PM.

Comment

from what I have read in other forums the benefit of h.265 is the ability to lower the file size 35%+ at the same quality of h.264 the down sided is that to achieve this h.265 takes a lot of processing power and can take up to 300% longer to make the rip. In my opinion with all the cheap 4Tb drives out there I don't really care about the file size savings. With h.265 I have upped my quality settings so output size is about the same. I also don't worry much about the time it takes, I leave my computer on 24hr/day anyway.

Comment

Quicksync & h265

Does the h265 encoder make use of QuickSync, apparently there has been hardware support in the Intel graphics drivers for 4th gen CPUs since January (see http://techreport.com/news/27677/new...decode-support)

Comment

That link discusses decoding not encoding. There have been no changes in Fab that I know of.

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
                              That link discusses decoding not encoding. There have been no changes in Fab that I know of.
                              OK, thanks, that's what I thought.

Comment

Working...
                              X