Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Registering with wine on Linux

This isn't so much a question as informational:

I've read several (mostly old) posts regarding users inabililty to register DVDFab running within wine under Linux.

Since version 9 appeared to be using a totally different registration method (prompting for the dvdfab user email and password) I decided to roll the dice and buy a lifetime license for DVD Copy (really all I use).

Although it is of course unsupported, I'm glad to report that the registation process worked perfectly, and the registration took just fine. When I exit and re-run DVDFab it's showing as activated. Very cool!

As far as my experience with Linux support in general, I've had only one issue, and that's that, since the new version 9 interface, the right hand pain (where the progress is etc) doesn't work correctly:

<span style="color:green"><b> <span style="color:red"><br><br> </b></span>

However I traced all those issues specifically to the nVidia opengl. If I switch to the X11 opengl everything works fine.

I use DVDFab on my headless MythTV backend via ssh using X11Forwarding. It works great, again, as long as I don't use nVidia opengl. If I do it causes DVDFab / wine to crash.

Great piece of software! Thanks.

Tom

I meant to mention that I'm running wine 1.6.2 under Gentoo.

Comment

Just an update to this for anyone interested: I ran into some issues running DVDFab 9.3 via wine in part because in the past I'd only been able to get it to work with winecfg set to Windows XP, which of course is no longer supported. Running wine 1.6.2 newer Windows versions caused DVDFab to abort with an error message:

This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "windows".

The newest Windows emulation that wouldn't cause that abort was Vista, however for some reason DVDFab was unable to connect to the Internet with that.

However I upgraded to the newest unstable version of wine available under Gentoo, which happened to be 1.9.7 and was able to get everything to work. I set the wine Windows version to Windows 8. Just to be safe I started with a new ~/.wine directory.

The Internet login registration activation worked fine and everything seems to work.

Tom

Comment

Figured I'd add this interesting find for anyone else who may be trying to use this under Linux:

When I upgraded wine to any version higher than 1.9.15 DVDFab failed with a "LOADER ERROR" dialog with the message:

The procedure entry point??
        _7_Facet_base@std@@6B@ could not be located in
        the dynamic link library MSVCP120.dll

This initially happened after upgrading to 1.9.19 under Gentoo, and downgrading to 1.9.15 corrected it.

However after that I discovered that for some reason, the upgrade of DVDFab itself from 9.3.12 to 9.3.16 seems to correct this, where DVDFAb 9.3.16 works fine with the newer versions of wine.

Tom

Comment

Just an update for anyone interested: DVDFab 10 seems to be working fine under Linux using wine wine-1.9.19. It recognized my online registration just fine etc. Cool!

Comment

Working...
          X