HDD Temperature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hardware Problem/Question HDD Temperature

While working out some other problems in setting up DVDFab Movie Server, I had to remove the HDD from the Movie Server unit. Immediately I noticed how hot to the touch the HDD was. Given that the HDD is enclosed in a plastic holder with no apparent cooling, I'm very concerned that in regular use, the HDD will get very hot. HDD's are able to operate at elevated temperatures, but the unmistakable truth is that the hotter the HDD runs, the shorter it's life will be. With many DVDFab Movie Server users like myself putting high end 8Tb hard drives in their unit, this makes for a potentially expensive failure.

The outside temperature of a HDD unit is only a partial indication of the higher actual internal temperature. All HDD's make this information available as part of their SMART data which can be read on many PC's. Does DVDFab Movie Server have the ability to display this temperature?

The real question here is what sort of thermal design analysis was done during the design of DVDFab Movie Server to determine/alleviate the risks of premature HDD failure due to heat in such an enclosed space?

To me, this is a very serious concern.
Working...
X