DVDFab Forum - Full disk or Clone

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Full disk or Clone

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Full disk or Clone

    I'm sure this has been answered but looking for what to do. I guess what is the huge differences between the two. Why would I do one over the other?


    Thanks
    "living the dream"

  • #2
    You're right, it's probably not going to make much difference, but it might...and this of course depends upon how you will play/modify, etc., the files.

    A clone is a 1:1, bit to bit copy; very little modification is available in this mode. You can elect to copy the .IFO files or not, . Pretty much everything else will be copied. No compression is possible in this mode

    Full Disc will also copy the extras...special features, menus, etc., but will allow for some additional mod. For eg., you can compress in this mode, alter the title-playback order.

    I'd experiment with each to see what best suits your needs. Just rip 'em to your hdd so as not to waste media
    Also, take a look at the Fab tutorial & manual for more info.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

    You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by maineman View Post
      You're right, it's probably not going to make much difference, but it might...and this of course depends upon how you will play/modify, etc., the files.

      A clone is a 1:1, bit to bit copy; very little modification is available in this mode. You can elect to copy the .IFO files or not, . Pretty much everything else will be copied. No compression is possible in this mode

      Full Disc will also copy the extras...special features, menus, etc., but will allow for some additional mod. For eg., you can compress in this mode, alter the title-playback order.

      I'd experiment with each to see what best suits your needs. Just rip 'em to your hdd so as not to waste media
      Also, take a look at the Fab tutorial & manual for more info.
      Thanks...
      "living the dream"

      Comment


      • #4
        if you clone a disc will/does dvdfab remove the encrytion?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by sireast View Post
          if you clone a disc will/does dvdfab remove the encrytion?
          Yes, of course. You cannot rip an encrypted disc without removing the copy protection
          If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

          You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by maineman View Post
            Yes, of course. You cannot rip an encrypted disc without removing the copy protection
            This is true you cannot rip the disc without first removing the encryption but to answer your question correctly. A Bit by Bit 1:1 copy of a BD50 disc (most newer movies are this size (over 25GB) cannot be copied 1:1 at all and the BD25 discs such as older movies that were converted to BluRay (bd25) 1:1 copy work in my experience on a per movie basis. Even with a new movie purchased at the store (Walmart-Target) I have found that read errors occur. The best method DVDFAB has to offer in my opinion is the MM=Main Movie copy but that is about 90% effective. Since some movies come up with the wrong M2ts file such as Unstoppable. The solution to that (according to DVDFAB) is to use a DVD version or PC version and then convert it to Blu-Ray but With the New Beta 8.1.0.7 I found no issues with the following settings and DVDFAb worked well. But To copy the movie 1:1 would be impossible since th entire movie is like 42GB with special features. and the movie is over 30 alone. a Conversion (compression) is still required from each BD50 disc to a BD25 Disk and the cost of a normal BD50 disc averages $20 so it would be cheaper to buy 2 copies of the same movie. Or at least the special edition with the DVD and PC versions included for older Laptops and Mobile Devices.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Akrylyk View Post
              .................edited................The solution to that (according to DVDFAB) is to use a DVD version or PC version and then convert it to Blu-Ray
              This is not correct, DVDFab does not even have a DVD->Blu-ray function, but it will convert Blu-ray to DVD.
              But To copy the movie 1:1 would be impossible since th entire movie is like 42GB with special features.
              To be clear, the MOVIE is not 42GB, the DISC may contain this much data. Most main movies are 25GB or less.
              Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
              Supplying DMS Logs to Developers.............

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by signals View Post
                Most main movies are 25GB or less.
                I can think of only one movie that used over 30GB for the movie itself. The first blu-ray release of Avatar.
                Formerly DVDKingdom

                Comment

                Working...
                X