Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which optical drive would you suggest

Hello,

Can I ask DVDFab members to suggest a good optical drive for my 5 years old PC Currently, I use LiteOn DVD burner but was thinking for some time and decided to change it to a BluRay drive with possibility to burn BluRay discs.

I would simply like to make copies of my original BluRay discs, some of them are 2D the others 3D etc. So far, I have used DVDFab on DVDs and DVDFab works perfectly even its free version.

The choices are: Samsung, Pioneer, LG, and ASUS who still sells BluRay drives. Another question is whether an external USB BlueRay burner is better than an internal.

I came across Pioneer BDR-209DBK 16x SATA Internal BD/DVD/CD Burner and Pioneer BDR-2209 16X Internal Blu-ray. My choice would be Pioneer BDR-209DBK 16x SATA but frankly I would rather blindly choose anything as I don't know what criteria I should consider.

I hope it is ok to ask about it here in general discussion.

Thanks

Originally posted by Franek View Post
    Pioneer BDR-209DBK
    This is the model that I have in a couple of my M$ boxes. I recently updated the firmware to 1.34 and I am beginning to think that it now has riplock.

I was doing an ISO backup using ImgBurn with DVDFab Passkey and the fastest that ImgBurn would read the disc was x2. That is what others around the net say what happens when riplock is happening, i.e., the read speed goes no higher than x2.

Comment

Originally posted by MrVideo View Post
      This is the model that I have in a couple of my M$ boxes. I recently updated the firmware to 1.34 and I am beginning to think that it now has riplock.

I was doing an ISO backup using ImgBurn with DVDFab Passkey and the fastest that ImgBurn would read the disc was x2. That is what others around the net say what happens when riplock is happening, i.e., the read speed goes no higher than x2.
      So I understand this drive is not particularly useful in terms of copying DVDs or BluRay discs. Have you been testing or using anything else that was ok? How about Samsung or LG? I would probably buy LiteOn as I was always happy with them but I am afraid they stopped manufacturing optical drives (not 100% sure though).

Thanks

Comment

No, it is not OK to post things like this in the Software Support forums. I have moved your thread to General Chat.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

@Signals. Thanks. I did not know where exactly I should start new topic.

I have read about riplock and I am quite confused. It looks that Pioneers seem to be riplocked and ripping DVDs / BluRays takes ages. I also found that old LG drives BH14XXX BH16XXX had not riplocks but the new LG drive versions are. But I cannot confirm that.

I was looking at LG BH16NS55 here in amazon. It has good reviews and I tried to search anything if this drive comes with riplock but it's hard to find anything. Can someone provide some info regarding this drive or any other LG drive.

Thanks

Comment

I do all Fab work on a laptop and use LG drives (BE06LU10 and BH16NS55). Both are connected to USB 3.0 ports and will allow Fab to process Blu-rays at around 25MB/s, the BH16 being slightly faster, up to 32MB/s in some cases. DVDs 10-12 MB/s. I have the BH16 in a USB 3.0 external enclosure. Note that the BH16 may have different firmware in different locations, I bought mine from a guy in Spain on ebay. It is not universally available geographically at the present. If either have riplock when used with DVDFab or Passkey I can't see the effect.
            Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
            Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

@Signals
              Thanks. I'll have a go with LG BH16NS55

Comment

You are welcome, I have been pleased with the BH16 and its much older predecessor.

Comment

Working...
                X