Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Utterly disappointed Nvidia 2080 video compression performance!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little fruit fly
    replied
    The performance or the time takes to encode is about the same for 2080 and 1080ti for me. I even have 2 EVGA 2080Ti in there, and it only improves slightly. Waiting for 3080Ti at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• AcIDc0r3
    replied
    What do you mean you're disappointed in the compression of the RTX 2080? I just jumped from a GTX 1080 Ti to an RTX 2080 and the compression is awesome.

Correction: The Atomic Blonde was 15.5Gb using the GTX 1080 Ti, so by using the RTX 2080 the file size was significantly smaller.

So if you're disappointed in the RTX 2080 and the compression then your not doing something right. I'm almost getting close to software compression size, only about a 2Gb - 3Gb difference. With the GTX 1080 Ti the gap between hardware and software compression was quite significant.

Also all this talk about how the Turing is worse than Pascal because the Pacal cards have two seperate chipsets for encoding and decoding. The Turing have combined that into one chip making it more efficient and even faster and able to compress video quite substantially compared to the Pascal. So that discussion should be moot.
    Last edited by AcIDc0r3; 07-20-2019, 07:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• fake16
    replied
    Best idea to increase encoding speed? I went from I3 version 4 to I7 version 9 while maintaining Nvidia 1050 gpu. Performance seems to be about the same. Tesla T4 not an option. Can wait a while for hdmi 2.1 chips to become prevalent before updating GPU. More cores (and threads) did not seem to matter to dvdfab. Perhaps something I am not aware of?

Oh, forgot to mention went from samsung 840 to samsung 970 SSD.
    Last edited by fake16; 07-20-2019, 05:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• eisenb11
    replied
    Originally posted by blasiusx View Post

All new Nvidia RTX GPU's (Turing) have only 1 NVENC Core, the GTX 1660 (Ti), too. Only the Pascal GPU's like GTX1070 and above have 2 NVENC Cores.

You're right, I didn't realize that! Looks like a single chip can handle 2 sessions though - I wonder if it's able to do that at the same throughput? If that's the case, then maybe we can transcode 2 videos at once if you have a bunch queued up.

Leave a comment:

• blasiusx
    replied
    Originally posted by eisenb11 View Post
    Now if Fab dev guy actually ends up updating Fab to support parallel encoding... it may be worth picking up a 1070/2070 to get the 2 chips. Will be keeping my eye on the release notes for that feature!
    All new Nvidia RTX GPU's (Turing) have only 1 NVENC Core, the GTX 1660 (Ti), too. Only the Pascal GPU's like GTX1070 and above have 2 NVENC Cores.

Leave a comment:

• LloydS
    replied
    Originally posted by ministry49 View Post
    I have a RTX 2060 since 1 month. I made some tests with the new NVENC (nvidia video codec sdk 9). The encoding quality is really better than Pascal. Now with Turing I can encode HEVC with B-frames.
    The problem is actually DVDFab is not yet updated with the latest NVenc. So no B-frames and less quality.

When DVDFab will be updated with latest NVENC ?!
    Hey minstry49. I have the same card as you have, the RTX 2060.

Have you been able to, not just rip, but copy a 4k original to a 50GB Blu-ray blank? For me, everything seems to process well and fast, and I get the "Processed Successfully" (or whatever it says) message at the end. But when I try to playback the copy on my stand alone Blu-ray player, the copy stutters and jerks. Also, the file that DVDFab makes also stutters and jerks when played back on my PC.

Ever had that problem, or, if you make copies, have you been successful?

Leave a comment:

• Wilson.Wang
    replied
    I have a RTX 2060 since 1 month. I made some tests with the new NVENC (nvidia video codec sdk 9). The encoding quality is really better than Pascal. Now with Turing I can encode HEVC with B-frames.
    The problem is actually DVDFab is not yet updated with the latest NVenc. So no B-frames and less quality.

Hi ministry49 ,

From DVDFab 11.0.3.1 we support the NVENC SDK 9 and can encode HEVC with B-frames.
    Please download the latest version and give a try.
    Thanks

Yours,
    Wilson.

Leave a comment:

• Ashley
    replied

Hi, thanks for the post. We are currently working on it now, please wait for some time, thanks.

Leave a comment:

• ministry49
    replied

Leave a comment:

• eisenb11
    replied
    Originally posted by Little fruit fly View Post
    Thank you, Wilson and your dev guy, Fengtao, I feel like I know him from Modern War. :-)

I returned the 2080, not worth the upgrade and money.

It would be great if most of the programs like DVDFab can detect the underlying hardware and utilize it to the max.
    I wanted to follow up on this since some time has passed and new cards came out. It turns out that Turing has a new NVENC that's supposedly higher quality. I had been waiting on the GTX 1650 to come out as that would *theoretically* be the cheapest Turing card with the new NVENC chip. It turns out that NVidia decided to pull a fast one and the 1650 has the Volta NVENC encoder which is basically the same as the one in Pascal. Very disappointing.

In order to get the new NVENC encoder, the cheapest Turing card that has it is the GTX 1660. Today I replaced my 1050 with the 1660.

Any ways, just an update if anyone still cares.
    Last edited by eisenb11; 04-27-2019, 06:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• eisenb11
    replied
    Originally posted by Chameleon View Post
    Unless you play the 5 or 6 video games that uses RTX , the 2080Ti is a total fail.
    Disagree, I play at 4k. On some games, the only chance at this is the 2080ti. For example, the latest Final Fantasy needs a 2080ti to get a decent frame rate at 4k. Bought one for my gaming machine and don't regret it.

Leave a comment:

• Chameleon
    replied
    Unless you play the 5 or 6 video games that uses RTX , the 2080Ti is a total fail.

Leave a comment:

• eisenb11
    replied
    Originally posted by Little fruit fly View Post
    Thank you, Wilson and your dev guy, Fengtao, I feel like I know him from Modern War. :-)

It would be great if most of the programs like DVDFab can detect the underlying hardware and utilize it to the max.
    This is the reason that I'm doing my transcode on a GTX 1050 (~$120 at the time). It has the same NVENC chip as the better models, just less of them, but it doesn't matter.

In regards to the RTX series of cards. NVIDIA claims that they're capable of doing the same quality of H.265 with a smaller file size. I'm not sure how to interpret that, but to me it seems to imply that it has a newer NVENC chip. I'm not interested in smaller file sizes, so perhaps that may mean better quality given the same file size?

If there is a quality difference, not sure how significant it would be... but I'm toying with the idea of picking up a "cheap" RTX 2050 when they eventually come out to get my hands on the new version of the NVENC chip.

Now if Fab dev guy actually ends up updating Fab to support parallel encoding... it may be worth picking up a 1070/2070 to get the 2 chips. Will be keeping my eye on the release notes for that feature!

Leave a comment:

• Little fruit fly
    replied
    That timing above is for transcode from an external drive via USB3.0 interface. When copy the file to M.2 nvme drive and transcode from nvme drive, it shortens to 6.5 minutes for Nvidia GTX 1070. I don't have the Nvidia RTX 2080 card to test, returned, but it probably drops to 6 minutes for Nvidia RTX 2080 and 7 to 8 minutes for Vega 64.

Leave a comment:

• Little fruit fly
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X