whats the best blank dvd to buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whats the best blank dvd to buy

I was using Verbatim, apparently the wrong model, should have the azo on the side, mine did not, but does anyone have a better choice of blank dvd's to use with dvdfab just regular copying to disk type?

I only ever use Verbatim AZO or Taiyo Yuden Watershield for single layer and Verbatim R+ Dual layer for dual layer.

Tried loads over the years, but as many will tell you, use these and you will not go far wrong. Not had a bad burn for years.

Comment

Great, thanks. I did buy Verbatim but had no idea there was a difference with that azo on the side. Of course the outside wrapper is long gone
      Is Maxell ok ?

Comment

My recording were not playing back very well, I was told by other forum members to lower the speed also which I did. So Now I just want to get the best disk

Comment

Originally posted by mharvot View Post
          Great, thanks. I did buy Verbatim but had no idea there was a difference with that azo on the side. Of course the outside wrapper is long gone
          Is Maxell ok ?
          Hi mharvot
          The only media you should ever use is the Verbatim with the AZO dye on the label or Taiyo Yuden.
          I have also used cheap media when I started out, and all the movies that I did with the cheap media have shown playback problems after about a year or less, so I burned another copy but this time I used Verbatim and do not have to worry about burning another one.
          CBR929

EDIT Newegg has DVD+R for $24.99 with $7.00 off with promo code and free shipping
          Last edited by CBR929; 05-03-2011, 09:08 PM. Reason: EDIT
          Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Maxell is usually CRAP!!
            "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I want to share an excellently article written by Patrick McFarland entitled: "How To Choose A CD/DVD Archival Media" .

It provides the author's prospective on the pros/cons on the sealing method, reflective layer, organic dye makeup, etc. He discusses the differences in the organic dyes (‘Super Cyanine’) designed by Taiyo Yuden, the TDK's ‘metal-stabilized Cyanine’, and newer Metal Azo dye used by Mitsubishi and Verbatim.

He also provides specific types and bands of DVD media he recommends.

Be sure to read the Q/A section following the article, where McFarland provides updated answers to questions asked by many of the readers.

Website containing article provided below:

(Last updated January 11th 2013) Translations: Serbo-Croatian by Jovana Milutinovich Ahh, I’ve been planning to write this one for awhile: an entire article on archival quality media. As I do professional software development as well as professional photography (what a weird combination), I need archival quality CD and DVD media to store my data on. […]

Happy Reading,
              GadgetVictim

Comment

Why would you say that?

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
                Maxell is usually CRAP!!
                Why would you say that? For years I have been reading about the superiority of Verbatim and Taido Yuden (is that how it's spelled?) discs. I tried them and ended up with more coasters than not.

Maxell (and even Memorex) render decent copies and at an affordable price. The other brands are too expensive for a similar outcome.

Besides, how long are we going to keep these discs for anyway? What I mean is that, with technology improving daily, how soon before another format becomes the prevalent one and blu ray falls into disuse. Just think about how we went from video tape cassettes to standard DVDs to Blu Ray discs...

How soon before something else comes along that renders all of the BD copies that we now have not quite the best? Food for thought there people...

I know I personally gave up on standard DVDs the moment Blu Ray entered the picture - relegating my standard DVDs to a storage box (save for those discs which have not made it to BD yet).

Why spend so much for Verbatim or the other brands when longevity is not really an issue here? I mean, longevity seems to be the primary reason everyone who raves about those expensive discs gives for paying more money for a blank BD.

Comment

Maxell is good if you can actually find blank media that is made with the Maxell media ID as all the cheap media uses CMC media ID and it a hit or miss when doing archiving. It has been proven by many people that cheap media not last long and degrades over time.

I know I would not want to risk losing my important files like pictures, home movies of the kids and my DVDs. Now I barely burn my movies to blank media any more as I just save to hard drive. But I do want them to last more than a year if I do burn to blank media.

You can find Verbatim on sale very often on newegg but Taiyo Yuden is never on sale but you can find taiyo Yuden media if you buy JVC since Taiyo Yuden bought JVC so they can sell their media in retail stores

Now if all you like to buy is cheap blank media then that what you get is cheap media and can expect them to not work a year later or sooner

Comment

Originally posted by CBR929 View Post
                    Hi mharvot
                    The only media you should ever use is the Verbatim with the AZO dye on the label or Taiyo Yuden.
                    I have also used cheap media when I started out, and all the movies that I did with the cheap media have shown playback problems after about a year or less, so I burned another copy but this time I used Verbatim and do not have to worry about burning another one.
                    CBR929

EDIT Newegg has DVD+R for $24.99 with $7.00 off with promo code and free shipping
                    How can you tell if you have the AZO dye? Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by jrogers1965 View Post
                      How can you tell if you have the AZO dye? Just curious.
                      Look at the package. The label AZO should be written on it. Avoid the Made in China packages. Very often problems at the end of the disc when you play them.

Comment

My 2 cents...

A little story here. I used Sony DVD-R for awhile a few years back. At first they were pretty good, never really had many issues. You could always find a good deal at Costco. Then I started getting bad batch after bad batch. I got a 100 pack and 30 or so were coasters which pissed me off. I gave them one more chance and the next batch were not much better so I gave up on them. I kind of figured that the price on them made them better then some of the cheaper priced ones. I then started using Verbatim, either finding them on Newegg or at Fry's and they always seem to have good deals on them. Well i have probably bought 10 100 packs and have had maybe 2 or 3 coasters total..and those were mostly my fault and not the disc. So i would say by far Verbatim is great. I have not personally tried Taiyo Yuden but for the money Verbatim is great.. I just bought 2 packs from Newegg with the discounted price of 17.99 each for the 100 packs.

I have used Maxell that I got at Wal-Mart and they were not too bad but not nearly as good as Verbatim...

Comment

Originally posted by kshduckman1170 View Post
                          I have used Maxell that I got at Wal-Mart and they were not too bad but not nearly as good as Verbatim...
                          I could bet you that within a year or so that the disc will not play back properly, and the dye has started to deteriorate.
                          Verbatim or Tayo Yuden all the way.

CBR929
                          Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Best DVDs

CBR929, AGJ are absolutely right! I've been with Fab since V5 till now! I used all the bad media you can use, even maxell which are crap! Over the years, or months, or weeks, I have had movies stop playing! Then I learned from all the great MOD's and retired MOD's about VERBs, started using VERBs with AZO dye, made only in Tieawan! Verbs are now out sorced to other makers and you have to be sure what you get! I've gotten Verbs that quit playing in weeks! Then I found out about Taiyo Yuden, which are made by one manufacturer, and sold by JVC in the states! Since useing these, I've had no costers(unless my fault) and I feel the picture Quality are better than the Verbs! I use TY02's(dvd-R). If you prefur the Verbs, check out your locale FRY'S, they have a new policy, online or offline, they will match the price without taxes! I bought 100 pack Verbs, AZO dye, made only in Tieawan for $18.99 from a sell price online, just showed them the wibsite and they matched it!, and they had a self of Verbs, AZO dye, made only in Tiewan(dvd+r)!, but I still prefure Taiyo Yuden, the picture Quality is better to me! You can't go wrong with this forum Mod's and members, and retired Mod's! They can help you with anything, you just have to read and learn!

Comment

Working...
                            X