X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I buy DVD Ripper or DVD Copy ?

I hope I am on the correct forum.

I would appreciate some advise on which DVDFab product to buy.
    Having browsed through DVD Fab Products I have narrowed the choices down to DVD Ripper or DVD Copy
    .... or maybe somebody would have other suggestions ?
    We are a couple dinosaurs so we don't have BlueRay. Not even a BlueRay player.

We want to ...
    1. copy/rip our existing DVDs onto an external HD (soon to be a QNap NAS drive) to play through our TV.
      Currently when I decrypt (with DVD Fab Decrypter I get two folders ...
      • AUDIO_TS ... empty
      • VIDEO_TS ... containing .bup,.ifo, .vob ... files

then using a third party program convert the audio_ts/video_ts to MPEG file.
    2. With an option to only keep the main movie OR retain sections (eg, Extras, Directors comments etc)
    3. Retain sub-titles -- some movies the sub-titles are lost in the backup process.
    4. Copy some of our old DVDs onto a new DVD.
      Some of our old discs have degraded and are now lost.
      I want to copy the old DVDs so we don't lose any more favorites.
    5. Region free would really help, too.

Would DVD Fab do the same for CDs ?

I would appreciate any help, thank you
    SPECS:
    DVD-Copy ... lifetime
    DVD-Ripper ... lifetime
    Win7 Home Premium 64bit
    SSD for C:\
    HDD (internal) for D:\
    Lite-On CD/DVD RW: iHAS324-07 WU

To do all of the things you have listed with optimum control and results, you really would need both, depending on the ability of the player software that is either in or drives your TV.

1) is what you get from DVD Copy, it is DVD-Video structure (IFO,BUP and VOB files in a VIDEO_TS folder). Some standalone media players can play it without problems, including the menus on the original DVD if you retained them.

2) the DVD Copy licensed version gives you complete control, copy only the titles you want, with or without menus, only the audio you want etc. etc.

3)DVD Copy provides this, but so does DVD Ripper. Which you should use depends on your player software.

4) This is the DVD Copy basic function. You would just add a step to burn the DVDFab output to a blank disc instead of just using the folder it writes to your hard drive.

5) All DVDFab output is "all region" or effectively free of region restrictions.

DVDFab does not work on CDs.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thanks signal for your response,

What does DVD Ripper do that DVD Copy cannot do?

Thank you
      Last edited by grayghost2; 11-22-2013, 12:18 AM. Reason: correction
      SPECS:
      DVD-Copy ... lifetime
      DVD-Ripper ... lifetime
      Win7 Home Premium 64bit

Comment

Hi grayghost2
        DVD Copy will make a back up of your DVD to either a folder, or ISO to view on your computer, or to a disc which you can play in a DVD player.

DVD Ripper will convert you movie into different formats to play on different devices e.g. cell phone, tablets, ipods and the list goes on and on.

Give these links a read through DVD Copy- http://www.dvdfab.com/dvd-copy.htm DVD Ripper- http://www.dvdfab.com/dvd-ripper.htm
        Hope this helps
        CBR929
        Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Thanks CBR929,

I have a free copy of DVD Fab Suite on my PC. Well and truely outside the trial period so only DVD Decrypter is available.

Would I have to unistall the suite before installing the paid version of DVD Copy ?

I am going to buy DVD Copy and see how I go with it.

Thanks again
          SPECS:
          DVD-Copy ... lifetime
          DVD-Ripper ... lifetime
          Win7 Home Premium 64bit

Comment

Originally posted by grayghost2 View Post
            Thanks CBR929,

I have a free copy of DVD Fab Suite on my PC. Well and truely outside the trial period so only DVD Decrypter is available.

Would I have to unistall the suite before installing the paid version of DVD Copy ?

I am going to buy DVD Copy and see how I go with it.

Thanks again
            Hi grayghost2
            You will not have to uninstall it.
            After you buy DVD Copy you will go here to the members area http://www.dvdfab.com/member.htm and create an account using your e-mail address that you used when purchasing Fab and a password of your choice.
            You will then open Fab click the drop down box arrow top right, click register using the same e-mail address and password you used in the members account area, this will take DVD Copy out of trial and register it.
            That should be all, post back if you have any problems.
            CBR929
            Last edited by CBR929; 11-22-2013, 01:42 AM. Reason: Added text
            Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Comment

Last question.

Does the PC with DVD Copy have to be on-line for registration.
              Can I use the commercial version of DVD Copy off line ?

The DVD Fab PC is my play rig, and can be web exposed if it has to be, although I would prefer not.

Thank you
              Last edited by grayghost2; 11-22-2013, 12:05 PM.
              SPECS:
              DVD-Copy ... lifetime
              DVD-Ripper ... lifetime
              Win7 Home Premium 64bit

Comment

It should have web access. It is listed as a system requirement on the website.
                Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Hi grayghost2
                  You can install DVD Fab on another computer since your only doing DVD copy's and that does not require much power to do this, and as stated you would have to have internet access.

Note: If you do install on another computer, DO NOT run DVD Fab at the same time on both computers, or you take the chance of having your license key blacklisted.

Hope this helps
                  CBR929

Comment

Can the free version of passkey be used on the laptop while running the paid version on the main pc at the same time without blackball problems?

Comment

Originally posted by glenns View Post
                      Can the free version of passkey be used on the laptop while running the paid version on the main pc at the same time without blackball problems?
                      That might work but, there will be extra steps for compressing the DVDs to fit on his blank media.
                      I don't understand what the op means by "play rig".
                      CBR929

Comment

Play rig from my understanding is the main pc where Fab will be on and have internet access.Doe's the free version of Passkey also need internet access?
                        I understand he won't be able to compress.

Comment

Originally posted by CBR929
                          You can install DVD Fab on another computer since your only doing DVD copy's and that does not require much power to do this, and as stated you would have to have internet access.

Note: If you do install on another computer, DO NOT run DVD Fab at the same time on both computers, or you take the chance of having your license key blacklisted.
                          I will uninstall the free DVD Fab suite just to be on the safe side.
                          Its too easy to forget and open the wrong one
                          SPECS:
                          DVD-Copy ... lifetime
                          DVD-Ripper ... lifetime
                          Win7 Home Premium 64bit

Comment

Just discovered http://www.dvdfab.com/order.htm page

What do "subscriptions" represent ?
                            Updates for the deemed period ?
                            Or use the DVD Fab product for only the purchased period.
                            Or cloud based application/program?

And how long is a lifetime ?
                            What is included for a "lifetime" subscription? Updates? Support?

I am looking at DVD-Copy + DVD-Ripper bundle

I did not know the "bundles" existed -- interesting find.
                            -----
                            PS:
                            Would I need "Passkey" ?
                            On the purchase page Passkey was pre-selected when I ticked Copy-Ripper bundle
                            -----
                            PPS:
                            Will the bundle work off line. We get a lot of internet disconnections. ?
                            -----
                            PPPs:
                            Originally posted by Glenns
                            Play rig from my understanding is the main pc where Fab will be on and have internet access. Does the free version of Passkey also need internet access?
                            I understand he won't be able to compress.
                            What does this mean? Do I need Passkey? Are DVD-Fab products cloud based?

Thank you
                            Last edited by grayghost2; 11-23-2013, 09:20 AM. Reason: post scripts and some confusion
                            SPECS:
                            DVD-Copy ... lifetime
                            DVD-Ripper ... lifetime
                            Win7 Home Premium 64bit

Comment

What does this mean? Do I need Passkey? Are DVD-Fab products cloud based?
                              Fab products are not cloud based but need internet access for connecting to fab server to take copy protection out and to make sure you are a paid member.

You don't need passkey if you have the copy program.Lifetime mean's to the day your life ends.

You get updates and support with any Fab product for as long as you subscribed for this also includes forum support as well as Fab staff support.Their is a free version of pass key and a paid version the free version you can watch copy protected disks on your pc the paid version you can put the disk on your hard drive to watch whenever plus more..Go to Fabs front page and do some reading on what each program doe's for more information.

Comment

Working...
                              X