BD-R DL Media issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD-R DL Media issues.

Is there a way to split a movie equally over dual layer media, rather than having the first layer completely burn to max capacity? I use Verbatim BD-DLs (MID 1Mf-000 and LG WH14NS40, SVC Code NS50 burner).

The reason why I am asking is that the burned discs all stutter or freeze at the 'layer break' when played on my standalone player (Sony BDP-S6500). On close inspection, I noted that the first layer burns to the very edge of the disc (and of course the second layer starts from there and burns inward). If the burn could be split evenly across layers, then this would avoid going to the very edge for most, if not all movies. Once the player eventually gets past the edge of the disc (either on its own or by forcing next chapter ... which takes some effort once it freeze) it plays fine for the rest of the movie. This tell me the issue is at the edge. I have tried this with 5 movies all with the same results. SLs (also Verbatim) burn and play without a hitch.

I used Imgburn and tried setting L0 sectors capacity to less than 12,221,939 sectors in advanced settings (which it defaults to) say, to 10,649,600, but Imgburn still writes the full 12,221,939 sectors to the first layer. Burning at 2x instead of the default 8x does offer some improvement, but more times than not, it still stutters (or completely freezes) at the layer break. Apparently, you can only control the layer break in Imgburn for DVD DLs. I saw a post here some time back on this issue but could not find it, so I apologize if I am being repetitious. My player is relatively recent and have not been able to try this on another player yet, but for now, my spindle of dual layer BD-Rs is effectively useless.

Btw, all discs verify fine through Imgburn and I can even watch them on my PC using Power DVD 17. Just wont play in the standalone player.

Anyone else have similar type issue? Any help on how to achieve this would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

This is what Lightning UK! author of ImgBurn had to say about this:
    You don't do anything with layer breaks on BD discs, they're to be treated as if multiple layers didn't exist in the first place. Unlike on DVD+R DL media, you cannot set a position for the layer break / move it around and the individual layers are always burnt in full.

If your player is taking 20 seconds (plus how ever long it can actually handle in its internal buffer) to catch up after the laser refocuses on the 2nd layer, I'd have to assume it can't read the disc very well.

Comment

try using clone mode . clone would be an exact copy of the original disc.
      the movie cannot be compressed and requires a disc the same size as the one you are copying

Comment

Ok thank you both. So then either my player cannot read these discs, or the discs themselves are not good quality. I always trusted verbatim and always used them exclusively for DVDs but perhaps their BD-R DLs and not the same good quality Verbatim has been known for. I will try these in a different player as soon as I can get ahold of one.

Still just curious if anyone else has had this issue with dual layer BD's. Any recommendations on a brand? LG recommends using Panasonic branded DLs with their burner, but these are almost non-existent in the US and are very pricey even if you can get them.

Comment

Verbatium's are supposed to be the best ones out there. you might try checking for a firmware update for your particular bluray drive.

Comment

Thanks. I have the latest firmware.

Comment

Since the first layer is by BD standards written(burned) to the maximum .
              Your standalone has to be capable of reading to the edge.
              Maybe it can't . If you can try playing your BD writable in another standalone player.
              If it plays well in that player it probably is the way your standalone reads a writable BD.
              This may not be your standalones fault. Your BD writing (burn) drive may have gotten out of alignment & be over size writing(burning) BDs.
              If that is the cause almost all standalone players will have a problem with discs burned by this drive.
              So if you have another BD burner try it.

How does the commercial pressed BD play in your standalone ?

This link is to a thread in the ImgBurn forum.
              You might read it.
              A member used a .mds file to control the BD layer break(or that's what I got out of the thread).
              It didn't give instructions on how this was done.
              I don't know how to do this & I didn't find more information on it in the ImgBurn forum.
              http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?/...reak-settings/
              Last edited by cholla; 01-24-2018, 05:16 PM.

Comment

The player is able to pay commercial BDs fine. It reads all other media, BD-R, BD-RE, DVD, etc. with no problem. It is only the dual layer BD-Rs it has problem with at the layer break. I will try to get access to another player and see how that works, as well as try another brand of dual layer media. I do have another burner in another PC but it is the same model LG. I did try to burn with that and had the same results. I doubt both burners are out of alignment. Hopefully trying another brand of media and also trying another player will yield some results so I can pinpoint the culprit. I did see the post on Imgburn's forum relating to writing your own mds file and may try that, but really want to get to the root of the problem without having to do that. I have several things to try and will just have to go through those. I will post my results once I solve it in the event someone else may now, or later have the same problem or issue. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                X