No announcement yet.

What's the beet profile for HSBS 3D?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other What's the beet profile for HSBS 3D?

Anyone have any suggestions for the best output profile I should be using when ripping my 3D blu-rays for Plex as HSBS? I'm trying to get as close to the original picture as possible and I'm aware HSBS is half the pixels but I've been using the "MKV H265 HDR10" profile and it seems to give good results. I'm wondering what others use, however. I initially tried the "MKV H264" profile with the bit rate cranked all the way up in the custom settings but there was a noticeable drop in quality so now I'v been afraid to try any other ones.

I would use the MVC Passthrough profile but as far as I can tell, Plex has no way of streaming MVC in 3D.

Building upon this topic, I'm actually interested in redoing all my rips in Full SBS but I'm a little confused by what that is to DVDFab. In my mind, FSBS would be a total ratio of 3840x2160 for a 1920x1080 movie, where the left and right packed frames would each be 1920x2160. If I choose the 4K 3D MKV profile as my output profile I only get 50% as an option, with a little graphic showing a res of 800x600. I assume the graphic is just for reference but its really throwing me off. If I choose the 3D MKV 1080p profile, I get both 50% and 100% in the split screen options. I don't see how you can fit 100% of of two 1080p frames into one 1080p frame but maybe I'm looking at this all wrong.

So if there's any 3D enthusiasts that have some advice, I'd love to hear what you think would give me the best results in VR apps like Bigscreen that only support SBS or OU for now. I've found that If I use MPC-HC to play full quality MVC videos in SBS on a 4K monitor, it looks original quality.

Comment

Well this might interest people that use Plex and like 3D content. After Google(ing) around I found a spin-off branch of Kodi that supports MadVR and has a Plex add-on. Its called Kodi DSPlayer. The original version hasn't had any updates since 2017 but someone created an unofficial 17.7 version with some additional fixes recently in 2020. Anyway, this is really awesome for me because now I can rip all my 3D movies as MVC Passthrough and stream them with Plex in SBS using MadVR! I wont link to it in case DVDFab considers Plex or Kodi competing products but you should be able to figure it out with a bit of Google, if you wanted to try this out yourself. It would be great if they some day add the option to output to SBS in Player 6.

Comment

Working...
      X