This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD9 and Blu Ray Player Compatibility

I've recently tried doing a couple of backups to BD9 (DL DVD) until the prices of BD25 (and BD50 -if ever) come down in price. Until then the full rip stays on the hard drive. Tried Family Guy:S..S..D..Dark Side, and Inglorious Basterds and they seemed to backup okay using main movie, removing unneeded audio / subtitles, and compressing to BD9. Then burned to disk using ImgBurn. Did this several ways (Saved to ISO, burn directly, save compressed files to disk then burn) and each time I put the disk in my Blu Ray player, it recognizes that it's a BD disk, then right after comes up with a disk error and ejects the disk.

Are only certain BD players able to play BD9 disks? I did a Google search on this, and found some people say Sony is very good for this, but didn't find much on my player. It's an LG BD390 with the Nov 529 firmware. Anyone else experience this? What player do you have?

Think I may just get some BD-RE disks in the mean time.
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz (Stock)
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3P w/ FD Bios
    4MB G.Skill PC2-6400
    nVidia GeForce GT 240

Here check this out http://reviews.cnet.com/blu-ray-play...3488056-4.html according to this chart DVD-DL is not supported by your player.
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE @3960MHz
    4G Geil ddr2 1066 (5-5-5-15) @1120MHz
    ASUS M3N HT Deluxe Nvidia 780a chipset
    2 XFX 9800GT SLI driver 197.45
    LG WH08LS20 BD drive firmware updated
    Windows7 Professional x64

Comment

I just checked CNET for my player which is a Sony BDP s350 and DVD DL was not mentioned under supported media but I can play BDDVD9 made from DVDFab just fine so this information may not be a definitive answer either.

Comment

Is this the LG BD390C, it is the only 390 I found on the LG site http://www.lge.com/ca_en/tv-audio-vi...yer-BD390C.jsp according to this it should play DVD DL

Comment

Here is a quote from newegg customer reviews for the LG BD390
          Pros: Everything works as described, full length .MKV files m2ts files, dvd+r DL discs, PQ on blue ray and DVD is amazing and puts PS# to shame on a led lcd Samsung. Streaming, you tube ect no problems at all easy to set up. If you not gonna end up purchasing a "network" set top media player, this is the one to get !!!

Comment

I don't want to get in trouble here. But in using another type of software this topic also came up, I have a samsung bd-p1600, and it is real finicky about dvd +r dl. I have had to go into imgburn and change the "book type", so on dvd dl's it is dvd +r dl, not dvd-rom. hope this helps. stu
            AMD Phenom II X2 550 Callisto unlocked to 4 core Denab @ 3.8mhz, MSI 785GM-E65 M/B, 4 Gig Geil DDR3-1333, EVGA GTX-260 192 Core, Corsair 700 W power, LG-BHO8LS20, LG-GH22LS50, IHOS104 DRIVES, 750 WDC Caviar Green, Hitachi 500, 2 TB WDC Caviar Green, SATA HD Drives, ASUS Xonar Essence SXT Sound, 2 Samsung SYNC 2333'S, Windows Vista 32 Buisness Edition.

Comment

Originally posted by srb01 View Post
              I don't want to get in trouble here. But in using another type of software this topic also came up, I have a samsung bd-p1600, and it is real finicky about dvd +r dl. I have had to go into imgburn and change the "book type", so on dvd dl's it is dvd +r dl, not dvd-rom. hope this helps. stu
              Just set up ImgBurn to replace the standard burn engine in Fab a month ago or so. Don't know if I've burned any DL standard DVD's with it yet. Only used those trying to burn the BD9 Blu-Ray titles.

I'll see what happens tonight.

Also, I think talking about IngBurn is fine since DVDFab is set up to use that as a 3rd party burn engine rather than the built-in VSO one.
              4MB G.Skill PC2-6400
              nVidia GeForce GT 240

Comment

Originally posted by Johan View Post
                I just checked CNET for my player which is a Sony BDP s350 and DVD DL was not mentioned under supported media but I can play BDDVD9 made from DVDFab just fine so this information may not be a definitive answer either.
                I've had no issues with DVD DL (DVD9) with the player. Only seems to be the Blu-Ray (BD9) disks I've tried. Like I stated, the player recognizes it as a Blu-Ray disk, but then comes up with a read error right after that, and ejects the disk.

May need to go back to the VSO burn engine to rule out problems with how IngBurn is burning the disk.

Anyone have advise on what settings in ImgBurn might cause this? If I try the BD9 burned disks on my PC they seem to work fine.
                4MB G.Skill PC2-6400
                nVidia GeForce GT 240

Comment

I found something on avsforums.com apparently you are not the only one with problems. BDDVD9 is written in AVCHD format, LG BD390 is supposed to playback this format. If you don't mind possibly wasting another DVDDL this is what one person tried.

To make my AVCHD discs to play, I had to make sure that the following file structure are the only folders in the root of the 2.5 UDF disc:

BDMV, do not include the CERTIFICATE folder.

Withing the BDMV, the following 4 folders:
                  BACKUP (withing BACKUP, delete BDJO)
                  CLIPNF
                  PLAYLIST
                  STREAM

and the following 2 files:
                  index.bdmv
                  MovieObject.bdmv

In short, from the structure, delete CERTIFICATE, AUXDATA, BDJO, META, JAR before burning the disc.

This is how AVCHD works for me on the LG BD300.

Comment

Originally posted by srb01 View Post

You all might want to try this solution:

Comment

AVCHD on DVD/BD9

O.K.

rschildt, I had to actually do a decent amount of experimenting with the AVCHD format in the past, trying to get home High Def DVDs to play in my bluray player, a Magnavox. Although there is an AVCHD standard, I am not sure that the format is truly standardized regarding the necessary named folders and file extensions necessary to make a playable disc in any particular brand, so you may have to do a little mix and match experimenting to get the disc to play, but this is how I have been able to make AVCHD playable discs.

First, just so you don't waste too many of your DL discs, you may want to shrink a movie down to BD5 size for test discs. DVD-RW discs worked on my bluray player, so I didn't have to waste too many.

Some of the prior posts included important info. Johan's last post was particularly interesting to me, because the folders which he says he deletes to make playable discs on an LG are necessary for my Magnavox to play a disc.

First, although I am not certain it is necessary, I burn a CERTIFICATE folder on my discs at the root level with the BDMV folder. I am fairly sure it can just be empty, but on the one DL AVCHD I burned, I had a copy of the BACKUP folder in the CERTIFICATE folder.

I needed to have empty BDJO and JAR folders in the BDMV folder for the disc to play, although Johan discusses needing to delete them for a disc to play on his LG, so if his folder structure doesn't work you may want to experiment by adding them. Also, I did not delete the META and AUXDATA folders which he says he deleted. I also needed to change the filetypes of files in the CLIPINF folder to .cpi from .clpi and in the PLAYLIST to .mpl. Again, this is just additional info for experimenting if Johan's info doesn't produce a playable disc.

Also, although I can not remember if they were all necessary my BACKUP folder included copies of the CLIPINF, PLAYLIST, BDJO and JAR folders, as well as the index.bdmv and MovieObject.bdmv files.

Finally, regarding DL discs, I got a cakebox of memorex discs in addition to some others, and my laptop DVD burner would not burn to them, but other burners I had would, so the quality of the discs could be a factor in particular DVD burners.

By the way, although I will not get into it here, BD rips to hard drive would only play in PowerDVD 7 for me if I renamed some of the files and changed the file structure.

Hope this helps

Comment

I Have buying the LG BD390 and I have many sharing trouble with Windows 7.
                        I can't see my files, I dont know if its because I'm on a Raid 0 configuration.
                        I never have better result after I have install the Nero soft that come with.
                        And on the LG web site you can't found any help.
                        Than I'm not happy.

Comment

Finally getting back to this after re-building my PC. Upgraded from a P4 630 (3.0 GHz) to a Core 2 Quad Q9550. When I originally just updated the GPU from an old ATI x1650 to a nVidia GT 240, the burn time to compress a main movie to BD25 went from 23+ hrs to ~13hrs. Now, weith the Q9550, I'm compressing the main movie to a BD 5 in about 75 minutes.

I'll be trying various recommendations listed above to a DVD-RW disk and see which BD 5 structures work on the LG BD390. I'll report back soon (hopefully).
                          4MB G.Skill PC2-6400
                          nVidia GeForce GT 240

Comment

Originally posted by Johan View Post
                            I found something on avsforums.com apparently you are not the only one with problems. BDDVD9 is written in AVCHD format, LG BD390 is supposed to playback this format. ...
                            Just a correction here. My understanding is that BD9 (what DVDFab can create) is a Blu-Ray formatted disc written to a DVDR-DL disc. AVCHD was designed to be backward compatible with the Blu-Ray format (presumably so that standard Blu-Ray players can play the discs without issue) but was first used by HD camcorders that write to disc. AVCHD is not the same as BD9/5 and is not (yet?) what DVDFab can create.

If your BD player is detecting the BD9 created by DVDFab as AVCHD (presumably because it assumes any DVDR with BD-like structure is AVCHD) then that is likely the problem. It will be very interesting to find out if you have success getting your player to correctly recognize the BD9 by changing the book type. Others have reported success in converting the BD9/5 created by DVDFab to the AVCHD by running the completed BD9/5 through multiAVCHD (keep in mind this forum is not the place for detailed actual instructions on using multiAVCHD but changes to the BD9/5 structure necessary are fair game).

Comment

Weird thing happened Sunday. I was going to test BD5 playback w/ different folder structures by putting it on a SL DVD+RW (4.7GB - previous attempts were using DL DVD+R's). Then I planned to change the directories as discribed above until I got it to play on the LG BD390. All other attemps, the player would quickly flash "BD Disk" on the front panel/onscreen display before it came up with a disk error. I backed up the directory structure of the BD5 rip using ImgBurn exactly as DVDFab wrote it. Stuck the disk in the LG player, and it came up with AVCHD oncreeen, and started playing!

Maybe it doesn't recognize the 8.5GB BD9 structure correct, but it seems to do the BD5 4.7GB burn okay. Time to try buring that same structure to a DVD+R & DVD-R disk, and see it that makes a difference, rather than the DVD+RW I used.
                              4MB G.Skill PC2-6400
                              nVidia GeForce GT 240

Comment

Working...
                              X