Issues with Captain America First Avenger and Iron Man 3 Blu-rays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issues with Captain America First Avenger and Iron Man 3 Blu-rays

I have very clean (basically new discs) for Captain America First Avenger and Iron Man 3. Both of them will start both Blu-Ray Copy and Blu-Ray Ripper. They get 3% or so into the process and fail with read errors. The discs read fine in players. I have tried these discs on 2 different computers. I know I could just "Ignore all Errors" but really looking for a good clone/rip for my backups/media server.

Anyone else having issues with these titles? Anyone have any success?

Although its unlikely that you have two bad discs, don't let the fact that they both play ok fool you. Only way to tell if they really "play ok" in a player is to watch the entire movie and every feature available on the disc, in essence, watching the entire disc. When DVDFAB does the initial scan and finds an error, the error may be in the movie section or perhaps some feature (i.e. bonus,) section and will report the error regardless. If your backup is movie only and it reports a read error again during the copy task, then yes, the movie section is likely where the error is. Depending on how bad the error is, in many players you might simply see a quick glitch, such as a few seconds (or less) of pixilation, but the player can usually recover and continue with the movie, whereas Fab will stop and report the error. If you blink, you might even miss it during playback. I have had several movies that had small errors, over the past few months. On some of my issues, I could hold the disc in a well lit room and at the correct angle, I could see what appeared to be a tiny bubble (the size of a pin-point) in the disc. Sometime you really have to look carefully Of course I exchanged the discs and had no problems after that. These were obviously manufacturing (pressing) errors and they do occur.

Incidentally, you should attach the dvdfab_internal.log file and the fabcheck.log (if one was generated) files. The latter is only generated if the task crashes, and not necessarily for a read error, but if its there, include that as well. If these are recent purchases, you should be able to exchange them, and should, if they are in fact bad.

Comment

Another thought … have you tried other discs using the same reader/burner? Could be your BD drive is going bad. When you said you had tried on 2 different computers, are you saying you got same results on the other computer?

Comment

Thanks so much for the replies - I did get the same results on both computers - and have been able to rip a ton of other discs before and after with no problem - so I don't think it is the Blu ray Drives.

I just thoroughly cleaned the Captain America disc again, and carefully looked at it in the light with different angles - I couldn't see any timing scratches/bubbles/etc. I tried just doing a clone again, but same results. Attaching the logs on this one - I do appreciate any help/advice. Sadly I bought these awhile ago, so I can't exchange them.

Attached Files

Comment

Looks like you uploaded your entire logs directory. I was looking at dvdfab_internal.log and saw the entry for Captain America with a volume name of FROSTBITE_AC (???). I am not an expert in reading these logs but I did notice the read error entries. Also, I did not see an entry for IRON MAN 3, which you said you were also having problems with. I assume you are trying the rip the original discs and not a previously made clone. If you cannot rip either movie on two computers, but are able to rip other titles, it still sounds like you may have some defective discs that cannot be detected visually, but are still there. Both of these have been out for a while so I have to assume current DVDFab already contains any fixes needed for removing protection. Hopefully someone from DVDFab staff or an other user can see something in the logs that will help you.

Comment

Thanks so much I do appreciate your help. Yep, FROSTBITE is the name that comes up for the Captain America Disc Name. I haven't reattempted Iron Man 3 in awhile (so who knows where it might be/what it might be called in the log - and it might be on another system [I actually have 3 systems running DVDFab]).

I might have to buy another copy of these to rip if it is a disc error. I do appreciate the help though!

Comment

Working...
            X