This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remove HD Audio question

I've just started working with the Fab BluRay module. My sole interest is in ripping the main title of my BD disks, with no compression, to an .ISO and loading it to my NAS for playback on my media player(s). So far, DVDFab Decrypter seems to work extremely well in that regard.

My question: What exactly does the checkbox "Remove HD Audio" do? Does it simply convert the DD TrueHD or DTS MasterAudio into DVD-grade DD/5.1 (or DTS/5.1)? Or, does it do something else.

It would be nice if it converted the HD audio into conventional DVD audio. Most media players do not pass high bitrate HD audio to an AVR and can have problems converting it to DD/5.1 on the fly.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine . . .

Originally posted by kelson View Post
    My question: What exactly does the checkbox "Remove HD Audio" do? Does it simply convert the DD TrueHD or DTS MasterAudio into DVD-grade DD/5.1 (or DTS/5.1)? Or, does it do something else.
    Yes, "Remove HD Audio" mean exactly just that. For instance DTS HD MA contains DTS core (usually 1510 kbps) and HD overhead. DVDFab, if HD removal selected, removing HD overhead leaving just a core.

It would be nice if it converted the HD audio into conventional DVD audio. Most media players do not pass high bitrate HD audio to an AVR and can have problems converting it to DD/5.1 on the fly.
    I suppose, by "conventional DVD audio" you mean either AC3 or DTS audio that I mentioned above. Dolby format (AC3) usually comes with 3/2+1 channels 640 kbps, and DTS - with 5.1 channels and 1510-1536 kbps.

Oops, almost forgot to answer one more question.
    Reasons for HD Audio removal are:
    (a) saving a space - HD Audio stream, in average weight as much as 5 gig
    (b) as you noticed, high bitrate creates difficulties in handling by most of the players and compatibility issues.
    Last edited by IPopov50; 07-12-2010, 07:19 PM. Reason: addition
    sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Originally posted by IPopov50 View Post
      I suppose, by "conventional DVD audio" you mean either AC3 or DTS audio that I mentioned above. Dolby format (AC3) usually comes with 3/2+1 channels 640 kbps, and DTS - with 5.1 channels and 1510-1536 kbps.
      Thank you for the answer. Yes, that is exactly what I meant by "conventional DVD audio". I was asking does DVD Fab convert
      DD TrueHD --> (AC3) DD/5.1
      DTS HD MA --> DTS/5.1
      when the remove HD audio box is checked.

And you have kindly answered, yes, that is exactly what it does.

I'm going to try this tonight with some rips and see if my media player behaves a little better.
      Life is too short to drink bad wine . . .

Comment

I have to mention one more thing. Some of HD Audio streams mastered in MLP and/or other lossless formats used in DVD-Audio. These formats are not removable, nor convertible by DVDFab. If that happened and your player can't handle it, you have to perform "dance with tambourine" to convert it into a chewable format. But this is a topic for another thread when and if you encounter it.

Originally posted by kelson View Post
        Thank you for the answer. Yes, that is exactly what I meant by "conventional DVD audio". I was asking does DVD Fab convert
        DD TrueHD --> (AC3) DD/5.1
        DTS HD MA --> DTS/5.1
        when the remove HD audio box is checked.

And you have kindly answered, yes, that is exactly what it does.

I'm going to try this tonight with some rips and see if my media player behaves a little better.
        sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
        For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
        For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
        Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Yeah for the DTS-HD MA track, it has a core DTS 5.1 track inside of it that it extracts and uses if it can't decode the MA track. The Dolby TrueHD track does not have that functionality though. Thats why when you get blu rays with the TrueHD track there is almost always an AC3/5.1 track along with it. Most blu rays lately appear to be sticking to the DTS track instead of Dolby I'm guessing because of that reason.
          SPECS
          DESKTOP: Asus M4A79XTD EVO/AMD Phenom II x4 945/4GB GSKILL DDR3-1600/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SC/BFG Tech 600Watt/NZXT M59/LG BD-RE GGW-H20L/Lite-On iHAS124 Y/WD Velociraptor 150GB/Seagate 1.5TB/WD Caviar Green 2TB/Acer H213H 1080p
          SERVER: MSI K9ND Speedster WA-6/2x AMD Opteron 2218s/8GB Kingston DDR2-667/NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700/Zalman 600Watt/Alienware Workstation/Lite-On iHAS120/Seagate 500GB/WD Caviar Black 750GB/Swiftech H20-220 w/ 2x CPU blocks & VGA block

Comment

Just read an article about this last week. That's exactly why most Blu-Rays are going with DTS-HD lately. Takes up less space than multiple Dolby soundtracks.

Comment

Working...
            X