X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD50 to BD25 --> resulting Image too large

Hi!

I'm relatively new to DVDfab. I've tried to shrink several BD50 to BD25. Here are my experiences so far.

Some discs won't output as BD25 after recompressing it completely. The resulting Image sometimes is far bigger than BD25 (28000 MB sometimes) an thus can not be burned to BD25. I've left the write settings for BD25 alone so far (23700 MB). Is there any way to fix this?

Also I've noticed that some discs stop during the recompression process (failed to copy file xy). This happens to certain discs all the time.

The next topic would be the choice of languages. At recompression it would be best to leave unnecessary languages to save disc space. I picked german and english in the menu, but after recompression I always get ALL languages.

It woud be a shame if these bugs won't get fixed, as this is by far the fastest recompression software I know

kind regards
    Last edited by AGJ; 08-31-2010, 10:47 AM. Reason: General Policies

what movies are you talking about? I have yet to find one movie that did not compress to BD25. Please post the movie titles. thanks.

Comment

Oh, I've tried several so far.

Escape from L.A. (Region A), or Lock Up (Region B) for example.
      Anybody tried Karate Kid (Region A, from the 80s) yet? I'm always getting the "cannot copy file xy" error at a certain point.

Kind regards

Comment

You can add fear and loathing in las vegas to that list.

Comment

i would like to add repo men

Comment

Ok, now I have to be even more precise.
            MOST BD50 I TRY TO COMPRESS TO BD25 ARE TOO LARGE AFTER COMPRESSING!
            Only 1 out of 10 compresses ok.

What can this be?
            Do you people do not have these problems, or does nobody use this function?

I'm trying to compress full BD50 to BD25 (full disc).
            Right now I'm using DVDfab 8.0.0.5.

Kind regards

Comment

I had zero issues backing up the Karate Kid BR. Copied, compressed to DVD-5 and burned using vso engine with no problems. My fist suggestion would be to check to make sure you are not trying to pack lossless audio tracks that cannot be compressed, such as PCM. I had this issue on a Pretty Woman backup and compression that I attempted to backup with the PCM track. Check this first.

Also, you can choose to completely remove HD audio from the back-up which will easily knock enough from a 28GB backup to make it fit a BD-25. Unless you have a higher-end sound system that can take full advantage of the HD audio you really aren't going to notice much, if any, difference at all.

Comment

Hi!

Thanks for the answer.
                Hi-Definition Audio is EXACTLY the reason, why I'm reencoding BD50 to BD25. I do have a high quality audio setup and sure as hell do notice the significant improvement in sound quality.
                Shouldn't DVDfab compress video data in relation to available disc space including ALL sound tracks??
                BD25 does have enough disc space even for LPCM after all.
                (removed) The only advantage of DVDfab regarding BluRay is hardware accelleration (CUDA). This way I can compress one disc in about 2,5 hours, instead of (i.e.) 10 hours.
                Last edited by AGJ; 08-31-2010, 10:48 AM. Reason: General Policies

Comment

I am not sure if it is a bug or is intended to be honest with you, nor can I tell you if it happens with all HD audio or just lossless formats (such as PCM 5.1), which is what I had issues with. As I have been packing to dvd-5 almost exclusively, it automatically checks the remove HD audio and you cannot unselect it. Because of that, I can not tell you anymore based on my limited experience other than certain audio tracks, such as PCM 5.1, would not let you pack it at all and dvdfab certainly did not seem to be interested in further compressing the video to allow it to fit on a DVD-5, which is asking a lot to begin with.

I suspect you are facing a similar issue, though you are using a much larger target media. You are right, however. If the audio cannot be compressed or the user does not want it compressed, the software's immediate response should be to further compress the video. For me, I'd rather trade the audio than video, but for you (esp. considering target media size) I can see why you would want to sacrifice a little video quality to save the audio quality. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful other than to potentially help you target the problem.

As an afterthought: I do believe that I have also run across threads that suggest that full disc compression does not generally work with the BR copy at this juncture and that movie only backup and compression (if necessary) works much better. Unless you are really sold on having all of the menus and extras on your backups, you might be better of simply trying to backup the movie alone, which will also help you retain both video and audio quality.
                  Last edited by mad-toilet; 08-31-2010, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Your not the only one with this problem Ray. I've reported a to large BD-50 to BD-25 file output since it poppped up as a problem for me as of v7.0.7.9. Folders and ISO's are output as 24.2-24.4GB. The only "fix" is to lower the BD-25 output size in Write Settings until the output fits on a BD-25. Other probelms that I've been reporting for over a month that haven't been fixed in the many releases since reported are a re-indroduction of video glitching that was fixed in 7.0.7.8 but now at the glitching the video becomes choppy and slow which is something that hadn't happened before and a Main Movie BD-25 now being re-encoded when previoulsy it was just a quick copy. If the right people aren't getting the errors on this program then they don't officially exist. I am currently using v7.0.7.8b as it's the last version that works for me correctly i.e no video glitching with choppy video, no to large file output, and not re-encoding Main Movie BD-25 that don't need it. Every version past 7.0.7.8b does these things for me.
                    Last edited by DharmaBummed69; 09-01-2010, 02:15 AM.

Comment

DharmaBummed69: Thats basically why I rip the full disk to my hard drive, not taking out anything, not shrinking, etc. Then when its done, close out and re-open and use the folder as source and set target as a different internal sata drive, taking out all extras so I'm left with the main movie, english hd audio, and any english subtitles and I leave the setting on BD-50 so it doesn't compress. Since its not re-encoding, its basically just transferring everything to a different drive, but taking out everything I don't need at the same time. This takes between 5 to 10 minutes, very quick. Then when thats done, I'll set the folder as source and a different internal sata hard drive as target again and then I shrink it, not changing anything, just shrinking and I've never had an issue with anything. Hope this helps.
                      SPECS
                      DESKTOP: Asus M4A79XTD EVO/AMD Phenom II x4 945/4GB GSKILL DDR3-1600/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SC/BFG Tech 600Watt/NZXT M59/LG BD-RE GGW-H20L/Lite-On iHAS124 Y/WD Velociraptor 150GB/Seagate 1.5TB/WD Caviar Green 2TB/Acer H213H 1080p
                      SERVER: MSI K9ND Speedster WA-6/2x AMD Opteron 2218s/8GB Kingston DDR2-667/NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700/Zalman 600Watt/Alienware Workstation/Lite-On iHAS120/Seagate 500GB/WD Caviar Black 750GB/Swiftech H20-220 w/ 2x CPU blocks & VGA block

Comment

Funny that's what I do yet I still have problems. You must misunderstand me. I rip the original as a uncompressed BD-50 ISO or folder. I use the BD-50 ISO or folder to compress to Full Disc or Main Movie BD-25. When doing a Main Movie BD-25 movies that, after removing unwanted audio and captioning tracks discs say 100% quality for BD-25, and previously straight copied in 10-15 minutes now re-encodes at 4+ hours even though there is no reason to re-encode. I posted a log over a month ago that shows it re-encoding the movie. I'd be more than happy to link the post not that it will make any difference. Anyway my point was that I still have the problem the OP reports and more since v7.0.7.9 So far I have posted logs and pictures and have pretty much been ignored.

Comment

Working...
                        X