Forced subtitles for 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forced subtitles for 2012

I am having a problem with this movie and it is extremely frustrating. I just bought the Bluray but I cannot get the forced subtitles to work (I only want subtitles for the foreign language parts of the movie). The movie has 3 video streams that are all 2:37:49, the first stream has 3 english subtitles, the second has 4, and the third only has 1. I have tried the force subtitles on all of them but it is not working. The subtitles are either always on, or always off. I would like someone to help me out if they can.

This problem is the same as this thread.
    Attached Files

This movie has 88 subtitles that are forced, translating Russian, French and Chinese to English. In the DVD, all the forced subs are in the same stream as the main English subs (the top one in the list) and I think the BD is the same. The problem seems to be that you have the default arrow (the small blue triangle next to the selection box) turned on in all the screen captures you attached, which will cause the entire stream to be displayed at all times. Select only the top English stream by putting a check in its box and turn the default arrow off by clicking on it.

To make sure you have the correct title selected, switch to Blu-ray Copy mode and see which one DVDFab selects as the Main Movie. You are using Blu-ray to DVD but posted in the Ripper forum, so I will move your thread to the correct place.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thank you for your suggestions, unfortunately they did not work. I started DVDfab and selected Bluray copy. After I put the disk in and it was scanned DVDfab selected track #4 and preselected all the english audio tracks and english subtitles. At first I played it using the preview window and I was unable to get subtitles to show up unless I put the blue triangle next to one, but since you said I should not do that I didn't. Instead I just switched to Bluray to dvd and clicked next. The end result was a movie that did not automatically play any subtitles.

Does the preview window accurately display things like subtitles? So if they do not appear in the preview window then they will not be in the move?

It see like the only way to get subtitles to work is to have the blue triangle next to one. Unfortunately as you stated above, this makes them always on.
      Attached Files

Comment

Still doesn't make sense to me. I will try one of my BDs that has forced subs and see what it does.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Any update on this? I am still having the same problem.

Comment

Not that I know of. The preview window accurately displays forced subs in most versions if you have the stream that contains them selected and the default arrow turned off. I will call this thread to their attention.

Comment

All

BD to DVD does not presently support the transfer of the forced start characteristics from the Blu-ray to the DVD. A possible workaround would be to include the stream with the translation subs when you make the conversion to a VIDEO_TS folder on your hard drive. Then use DVDSubEdit (free) to convert the subs that you want to display from normal start to forced start.

There is presently no firm timetable for adding this capability AFAIK.

Comment

That is unfortunate to hear, but it does clarify things.

Thanks for finding this out.

Comment

Sorry that the workaround is necessary, but it does not really take too long, DVDSubEdit works quickly. Hopefully this function can be improved so that it will work within DVDFab in the future.

Comment

DVDFab doesn't preserve "forced flag" when converting Blu-ray to DVD for now, but we have plan to add it in near feature, please wait and thanks for your understanding.
                    DVDFab is the all-in-one software package for copying Blu-ray/DVD and converting video file.
                    http://www.dvdfab.cn

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
                      All

BD to DVD does not presently support the transfer of the forced start characteristics from the Blu-ray to the DVD. A possible workaround would be to include the stream with the translation subs when you make the conversion to a VIDEO_TS folder on your hard drive. Then use DVDSubEdit (free) to convert the subs that you want to display from normal start to forced start.

There is presently no firm timetable for adding this capability AFAIK.
                      So what you are saying is that I need to include all the subs when I convert to DVD then use DVDSubEdit to pick one of them to forced? Won't that make them "always on"? I guess I should try it out just to be sure.

One last question. If I just copied the movie with Bluray copier, would it preserve the forced flag?

Comment

I just checked again, DVDFab already convert "forced" flag from Blu-ray to DVD, the problem is: 2012 doesn't contain forced flag! Please check if player can show the forced subtitle only with the original Blu-ray disc.

We just need improve DVD authoring to tell player to show forced subtitle at begining, and this feature will be available in near future.
                        Last edited by fengtao; 04-19-2012, 07:43 AM.
                        DVDFab is the all-in-one software package for copying Blu-ray/DVD and converting video file.
                        http://www.dvdfab.cn

Comment

Originally posted by ryanmc View Post
                          So what you are saying is that I need to include all the subs when I convert to DVD then use DVDSubEdit to pick one of them to forced? Won't that make them "always on"? I guess I should try it out just to be sure.

One last question. If I just copied the movie with Bluray copier, would it preserve the forced flag?
                          Please see Fengtao's most recent post about this issue. With DVDSubEdit, you force start the individual subtitles, not the stream.

Comment

Thanks,

I managed to use Blu-ray Copy to make a good copy of 2012 with the forced subtitles working correctly. However when I try and convert it with Blu-ray ripper to any other format the subtitles disappear.

I will just have to deal with it until you all fix this.

Thanks for your hard work.

Comment

Thanks for your patience. I have the DVD of 2012 and I thought I had the BD also, but I can't find it yet. I will try it also if I can find it.

Comment

Working...
                              X