Disc does not play in fab media player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD to BD Disc does not play in fab media player

Hi, I have just converted TOMMY live at the Royal Albert Hall. The resultant disc plays fine in a standalone player, however when I try it with Windows Media Player it tells me "this disc is empty" The same thing happens with Fab media player,insert disc, click open disc it reverts to open files. Anyone know why? (Used version 10.0.5.0.) Log is attached
    Attached Files

You are using an outdated version of DVDFab, you can find the latest one here: https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/dvdfab...017#post343415.

If you put the disc in your PC drive, can you open it with Windows explorer?

Your log session is incomplete, it cuts off just as the source disc is opened. When you have the time, please generate a new one and attach it. If your PC can see the disc, please open it with DVDFab and use BDInfo in the Utilities tab to scan it, then attach the results in a new post.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Just found what it was, opened Fab Media Player, and changed the Play Mode from Menu Mode to Simple Mode, it now works. Don't know about Windows Media Player though.

Comment

I've had a DVD that Windows Explorer doesn't recognize.
        This was a DVD recorded in a standalone DVD recorder/player.
        The recording mode was -VR.
        The DVD is closed.

It has this folder & the files below.
        DVD.RTAV
        .Sys-Reserved-RW-Bitmap.GROW
        SysReservedFile

Inside the DVD.RTAV folder are these files:
        VR.MANGR.IFO
        VR.MOVIE.VRO

There are two ways I have been able to view these files.
        My very old & now mothballed IBM could view them with Windows 98SE & XP Pro.

The other way is with IsoBuster. (It has a trial version or used to. I have a paid version & I haven't checked to see if there is still a trial version).
        IIRC it will only rip part of this DVD. Enough to get the .VRO file.
        That is the file with the video.
        So far all Windows versions can play the .VRO file once it is ripped & in a folder on the hard drive.

To Vista & Windows 7 the DVD shows as blank.
        I don't have Windows 10 but I suspect the results would be the same.

This may not be your problem but it does show there are DVDs Windows can't recognize (at least in Windows Explorer. If Windows doesn't recognize a DVD it can't play it.

I'm now trying to use DVDFab to rip this "Test" DVD.
        The only mode that DVDFab would even try to rip this DVD is "Clone/Burn".
        It will only create an .iso.
        I'm going to let it run a while longer but it seems to be frozen at 98%.
        It has also said there are errors & I choce "Ignore all".
        Actual errors are not the problem.
        It has been a long while since I've used this test DVD but older versions of DVDFab couldn't even do this much.

I have the DVD standalone unit this DVD was recorded with mothballed.
        I know it will play this DVD.
        My standalone Magnavox DVD units won't play this DVD.
        My LG standalone DVD unit will.I tested it this morning after DVDFab stated there were errors.
        Played & looked correct.

If this can happen with a DVD the same can happen with a BD.

I hope this helps.

Comment

DVDfab does not write DVD-VR discs. At one time it could read them as I recall if they were finalized.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

First my apologizes to the OP for sort of hijacking the thread.
            My intent was to show Windows Explorer can't read some discs.
            When it can't most media players won't do it either.

Originally posted by signals View Post
            DVDfab does not write DVD-VR discs.
            signals , Do you mean DVDFab doesn't write DVD -VR mode ?
            From Wikipedia:
            DVD-VR & DVD+VR[edit]

There are two quite different application formats commonly known as VR mode.
            1) DVD-VR was established by the DVD Forum and can be found on DVD-RW and DVD-RAM
            2) DVD+VR is the creation and responsibility of Philips Electronics and is seen on their DVD+RW recorders. DVD-VR[edit]

The DVD-VR recording mode offers advanced editing (including Non Linear Editing (NLE)) but is not compatible with DVD-Video. Recorders do not edit the video data stream directly. Editing is achieved by creating a 'playlist' which references segments of the recorded video data stream and compile the playlist by chapters of the video stream or can access the video stream directly by time reference. Recorders generally employ one method or the other, but seldom both. DVD-VR can also be used with DVD+RW media, but recorders seldom do so. DVD+VR[edit]

The DVD+VR recording mode (aka +VR functionality) is compatible with DVD-Video (normal DVD-Video players), but offers basic editing like partial overwriting, title dividing, chapter marker placement, replace the menu screens, etc. This can be accomplished easily on DVD+R media. DVD+VR can theoretically be used with DVD-RW media, but partial overwriting and replacement of menus cannot be so easily accomplished due to limitations of the media. In order to achieve this, it would be necessary for the recorder to read and store the entire contents of the disc, erase the disc and then rewrite it. For this reason alone, DVD+VR is seldom used with DVD-RW (or DVD-R) media.
            The DVD disc is a Verbatim DVD-RW 4.7GB disc .

I didn't expect DVDFab to read or write -VR mode.
            Only one standalone DVD recorder/player I've owned had this capability.
            Even it offered the standard mode which Windows Explorer can read.

At one time it could read them as I recall if they were finalized.
            As I posted the DVD is closed to me this is the same as finalized.
            I let DVDFab DVD Copy run until I got the Process error window to send a report.
            I went ahead & did this.
            So DVDFab should have this now.

As above the only DVDFab DVD Copy mode that would do anything with this DVD is Clone/Burn.
            DVD Ripper didn't want anything to do with it.

I did get an .iso .
            It had odd results.
            In Windows Explorer the .iso size shows as 4,348,672 KB on one of the attempts.
            When mounted in a virtual drive & opened the files in it show a total size of 282 KB .
            The actual video file the .VRO shows 0(zero) KB .
            However VLC & DVDFab Media player can play the .VRO file from the virtual drive.
            It is the full 30 minutes that I recorded.
            VLC will play the .iso directly but DVDFab Media Player won't.
            Of course this means it can't actually be 0KB.
            Neither VLC or DVDFab Media player can play directly from this DVD.

I have WMP completely disabled & never use it.
            I seriously doubt it would play this DVD.

To me this is just an interesting "Test" DVD .
            It shows that Windows has limitations on the discs it can read.
            Same with a lot of software.
            Funny how old Windows 98SE that came out before the -VR mode existed can view it in Windows Explorer but any Windows OS Vista or newer can't.

Comment

DVDfab does not write DVD-VR discs.
              signals , Do you mean DVDFab doesn't write DVD -VR mode ?
              From Wikipedia:
              DVD-VR & DVD+VR[edit]

There are two quite different application formats commonly known as VR mode.
              1) DVD-VR was established by the DVD Forum and can be found on DVD-RW and DVD-RAM
              2) DVD+VR is the creation and responsibility of Philips Electronics and is seen on their DVD+RW recorders.

DVD-VR[edit]
              The DVD-VR recording mode offers advanced editing (including Non Linear Editing (NLE)) but is not compatible with DVD-Video. Recorders do not edit the video data stream directly. Editing is achieved by creating a 'playlist' which references segments of the recorded video data stream and compile the playlist by chapters of the video stream or can access the video stream directly by time reference. Recorders generally employ one method or the other, but seldom both. DVD-VR can also be used with DVD+RW media, but recorders seldom do so.

DVD+VR[edit]
              The DVD+VR recording mode (aka +VR functionality) is compatible with DVD-Video (normal DVD-Video players), but offers basic editing like partial overwriting, title dividing, chapter marker placement, replace the menu screens, etc. This can be accomplished easily on DVD+R media. DVD+VR can theoretically be used with DVD-RW media, but partial overwriting and replacement of menus cannot be so easily accomplished due to limitations of the media. In order to achieve this, it would be necessary for the recorder to read and store the entire contents of the disc, erase the disc and then rewrite it. For this reason alone, DVD+VR is seldom used with DVD-RW (or DVD-R) media.
              The DVD disc is a Verbatim DVD-RW 4.7GB disc .

I didn't expect DVDFab to read or write -VR mode.
              Only one standalone DVD recorder/player I've owned had this capability.
              Even it offered the standard mode which Windows Explorer can read.

At one time it could read them as I recall if they were finalized.
              As I posted the DVD is closed to me this is the same as finalized.
              I let DVDFab DVD Copy run until I got the Process error window to send a report.
              I went ahead & did this.
              So DVDFab should have this now.

As above the only DVDFab DVD Copy mode that would do anything with this DVD is Clone/Burn.
              DVD Ripper didn't want anything to do with it.

I did get an .iso .
              It had odd results.
              In Windows Explorer the .iso size shows as 4,348,672 KB on one of the attempts.
              When mounted in a virtual drive & opened the files in it show a total size of 282 KB .
              The actual video file the .VRO shows 0(zero) KB .
              However VLC & DVDFab Media player can play the .VRO file from the virtual drive.
              It is the full 30 minutes that I recorded.
              VLC will play the .iso directly but DVDFab Media Player won't.
              Of course this means it can't actually be 0KB.
              Neither VLC or DVDFab Media player can play directly from this DVD.

I have WMP completely disabled & never use it.
              I seriously doubt it would play this DVD.

To me this is just an interesting "Test" DVD .
              It shows that Windows has limitations on the discs it can read.
              Same with a lot of software.
              Funny how old Windows 98SE that came out before the -VR mode existed can view it in Windows Explorer but any Windows OS Vista or newer can't.

Just in case you would like to look at the log.

Attached Files
              Last edited by cholla; 10-31-2017, 07:30 PM. Reason: Added log

Comment

I tried the .iso created by the DVDFab Clone/Burn read(rip).
                I wrote it to the same type Verbatim DVD-RW using DVDFab Clone/Burn with ImgBurn as the Burning engine.
                The result was successful.
                Windows Explorer can view the ImgBurn written DVD.

No media player that I have can play this DVD as a disc.
                However both VLC & DVDFab media player can play the .VRO file if I go into the DVD disc & open it as a file.
                So DVDFab can read & write a DVD-RW disc that has been recorded in -VR mode.
                The file sizes are the same as in the .iso so incorrect.

I have attached the two log files.
                Attached Files

Comment

I used IsoBuster to extract just the folder & files .
                  Not an .iso.
                  The result is the .VRO file & .IFO file had the correct file size instead of showing 0 KB.

Comment

Working...
                  X