Was auto compression dropped in DVDFab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was auto compression dropped in DVDFab?

When converting AVI and MP4 files to DVD, I set the parameters to about 12 GB. Then when burning to DVD, I use DVDFab that compresses the files to the safe max of 4328 MB. In this manner, I never end up with a 2 or 3 GB movie, where the compression needlessly lowers further video quality. Up until v8.1.6.8, DVDFab automatically compressed even a 12 GB movie to 4.3 GB for DVD5. Now, with v8.1.7.8, I am prompted to insert a dual layer disc. The app refuses to compress as in previous versions.

Is there anything I can change in the "Common Settings" to make DVDFab automatically compress files to DVD-5 size, or was this nice feature dropped?

You can set the default output size to DVD-5 or set it manually each time, but first make sure your DVD Copy has not expired. Click on the "?" then select About to display your list of licenses and expiration dates.

Not clear to me how you could have a 12GB DVD.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Unable to renew registration

When I purchased DVD Fab Platinum in 2007, I was informed that registration afforded me lifetime upgrades. Up until v8.1.7.8, I had no difficulty upgrading. However, the latest version has reverted my copy to a trial version.

When I follow the link to download a new resgistration key, I am directed to the download page: I'm sent on a wild goose chase.

So what must I do to get you to honor your promise of allowing me lifetime upgrades?

As for 12 GB movies, if you decompress a 700 MB movie in say, an AVI container, the file become huge, 25 GB or more. And the video quality is enormously improved. Using the least amount of compression when burning such a file to DVD-5 gives you the maximum picture clarity.

Please let me know how I can get a new registration key. The link to the "User Center" at http://www.dvdfab.com/retrieveregkey.htm, where you state that a new key is available for registered users, offers no such information.

Comment

Hi Djard
        You will need to go to the members area found here http://www.dvdfab.com/member.htm
        If you have not been here before you would click Create an Account, use the email that you used when you purchased Fab and a Password which will give you a screen of available keys.

Make sure that you are also using the latest version found here http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=17489 there was a bug in the previous versions

Hope this helps
        CBR929
        Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Thanks. I managed to activate my copy, but DVDFab still fails to compress files to DVD-5 as it did so well in earlier versions.

I'll try the new beta version or use DVDShrink as the intermediary step; otherwise I'll go back to the old version until you kind folks restore the very useful compression feature.

I have 4328 MB set as the writable media size for DVD-5, but this setting only works if the content to be copied is less than 4920 MB. I'm hoping you will restore the larger compression range that was avalable in earlier versions.

Comment

Djard

If the problem persists after you have created a user account in the Member center and obtained and registered a new key, send an email to sunny@dvdfab.com. In the email, include the email address used for the original purchase and a link to this thread. I believe the changeover from all-lifetime to optional license terms was in May of 2008. The features included in your license may be different depending on what version you originally purhased (Gold, Platinum, etc.)
            Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
            Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Unable to renew registration

Thanks. I will send my purchase info and registration to Sunny.

Having accessed the members area, I downloaded a key. But then I noticed the key is identical to the old one. In other words, the link in DVDFab to get a new key fails. Sounds like you folks have made a radical change in policy. Hopefully Sunny will correct the problem for me.

Comment

fails to compress

I am having the same problem after going to a "lifetime of free updates". Even when I select dvd-5 it still asks for a double layer disk????????? What's up with this. I am using the latest version also!

Comment

There have been no changes to policy that I am aware of. Anyone having this problem should follow the instructions in this thread, see post #6.

Comment

Have you set your default size to DVD5? Sometimes the upgrade resets it to DVD9.

Originally posted by rayfornario View Post
                    I am having the same problem after going to a "lifetime of free updates". Even when I select dvd-5 it still asks for a double layer disk????????? What's up with this. I am using the latest version also!
                    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
                      Have you set your default size to DVD5? Sometimes the upgrade resets it to DVD9.
                      Yes, I set it to dvd-5 and it resets to dvd-9 by itself???????????? How can that happen?

Comment

Did you set the default size in "common settings" see attached:
                        Attached Files
                        How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
                        Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
                          Did you set the default size in "common settings" see attached:
                          I will check that setting when i get home.
                          Thanks!

Comment

If it thinks you are not licensed for compresssion it may do that. Follow the instructions in post #6.

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
                              Thanks for the help! It was changed to default DVD-9 in user settings.

Comment

Working...
                              X