This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AlienX69 View Post
    So you don't have a virtual ROM tool such as DAEMON for CloneDrive install on your puter. That was the only thing I could think of that was causing my issue or internal code ? ?
    I have absolutely nothing fancy installed on this machine at all. It's a nice, clean install of XP.

Until 6.2.x.x came out, DVDFab was quite happily churning away.

Comment

I never tried that, your right, same thing here. After I remove the 1st disc, insert the 2nd, scan dialog pops up scans, when it goes away, I'm left with "Please insert ......" I click the drop-down (Source), still nothing, have to restart DVDFab. EDIT: But the Explorer window (XP) does see the 2nd disc.

Glad you started this thread, I've been meaning to do it !!

So you don't have a virtual ROM tool such as DAEMON for CloneDrive install on your puter. That was the only thing I could think of that was causing my issue or internal code ? ?

I tried the following (borrowed a couple of DVDs from one of my kids) with results as indicated:

1) Started Fab, inserted first DVD...read properly and listed correctly in Volume Label and Source.
      2) started and cancelled rip...with Finished un-pressed, opened drive and put in second DVD...results as you have indicated.

1A) left second disk in drive...re-started Fab, disk listed properly in Fab.
      2A) Started and cancelled rip...pressed Finish...when start-up screen back, opened drive and put in other DVD...2nd disk listed properly in Fab.

When I opened the drive for the second DVD (after pressing Finish) I noticed the regular start-up message back in Source - Insert a disc or...-

Unless I have some windows settings different from yours (which I doubt, except that I have autorun turned off...) your systems should be doing the same (I'm running XP Pro).

From where I sit, the program is resetting properly after Finish is pressed.

Comments?

DC

Comment

This is really strange. I too used to have this problem.. But then I switched my drives so that they would not auto play my media center or vlc but to always ask.. I don' have the problem anymore.

Comment

@DC

I did another run from a fresh restart, and I was very careful to always click "Finish" first, so it would return to the "Start" form.

At the insertion of the 4th disc, the scan dialog comes up, then self closes, Source then reads "Please insert DVD .....", after clicking the drop-down, no response, had to restart DVDFab

Up until that point both the Source and the Volume Label were updating correctly

These were real rips, no Cancels, not that would make a difference, i don't think so at least.
          Last edited by AlienX69; 01-18-2010, 02:59 AM.
          AX

The default Log File location: C:\Documents and Settings\"User Acct"\My Documents\DVDFab\Log

Comment

@DC

I did another run from a fresh restart, and I was very careful to always click "Finish" first, so it would return to the "Start" form.

At the insertion of the 4th disc, the scan dialog comes up, then self closes, Source then reads "Please insert DVD .....", after clicking the drop-down, no response, had to restart DVDFab

Up until that point both the Source and the Volume Label were updating correctly

These were real rips, no Cancels, not that would make a difference, i don't think so at least.

Are you doing this with autorun 'enabled' or 'disabled'?

As I said, I'm running wth autorun disabled.

Best way of doing that is with MS Power Toys, tweakui.

DC

Comment

Autorun is disabled (pretty sure), been so long since I turned it off.

I'm doing as you suggested though and disabling via Tweak UI form .... My Computer > AutPlay > Drives and de-selecting my Reader/Burner (D.

I will run a few tomorrow, pretty tired as of now, will let you know the results hopefully tomorrow !!

THX DC ....
              AX

The default Log File location: C:\Documents and Settings\"User Acct"\My Documents\DVDFab\Log

Comment

Autorun is disabled (pretty sure), been so long since I turned it off.

I'm doing as you suggested though and disabling via Tweak UI form .... My Computer > AutPlay > Drives and de-selecting my Reader/Burner (D.

I will run a few tomorrow, pretty tired as of now, will let you know the results hopefully tomorrow !!

THX DC ....

What you are playing with in My Computer is the Autoplay option...the one that allows you to choose what program opens a DVD if you put one in...

I'm talking about the Autorun option...the one that starts the DVD in the first place, or starts a mfrs disk if you install some device and want to load the drivers and other software (such as a new printer, etc.).

There is no way I am aware of to disable Autorun through Windows...you need the utility Microsoft put out called MS Power Toys - tweakui...

Google 'Power Toys', and the opening page of the website will give you a list on the right-hand column of all the utilities that comprise Power Toys. Select the tweakui one and D/L it.

When you run it, it's a bare-bones text utility, and you might have to do a bit of searching in the selections to find the Autorun option - unchecking its box will stop it from executing (in our case) whenever we put a DVD in our drive. (It also stops any other kind of disc from auto-loading, so if you have a driver disk that you need that usually auto loads, either re-start autorun or use Windows Explorer to get at the disk's files to execute setup.exe).

Hope this helps.

DC

Comment

Originally posted by iwords View Post
                  Appreciate the replies, here are my findings so far...

I have no other utilities installed, or running.

If I change to ASPI, DVDFab fails to open any DVD, whether it's the first, second or whatever.

If I change to SPTI, DVDFab recognises the first and second discs, but won't open the third or any subsequent discs.
                  wow you have three disc drives. dam. maybe dvdfab isn't written to be able to do that.
                  I love having the power to break copyright protection. Ever since I've discovered it I've hated it. It's great for putting video on an ipod. So I thank the team here for what they do.

Comment

@DC

When I wrote "Tweak UI form .... My Computer > AutPlay > Drives and de-selecting my Reader/Burner" in post # 21 I was speaking of and using Tweak, I've had tweak installed on my main box for years to stop unwanted exe's/processes from running a muck .

It's version 2.10.0.0, need to go see what the latest is and DL.

I looked on the left a couple of times and didn't see Autorun, just AutoPlay.

EDIT: Oops, forgot attachment ....
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by AlienX69; 01-18-2010, 10:01 AM.
                    AX

Comment

Let me clarify a little further as well.

When DVDFab does hang by not finding a DVD it's not a real big deal to me, as I just restart the app.

In my case it all started from a habit that was created because of something I mentioned a good while back about the "" field being too long. Everytime I start a rip, I collapse DVDFab so I don't inadvertently click this field, I have done it too many times.

Because of the above it created a 2nd BAD habit. When the DVD has completed its rip and the process is finished, i.e. the "Process Completed Successfully" pops up, the DVD pops out. At that point I swap DVD's to start the second run and close the drive's tray. At this point DVDfab;s form is collapsed but still siting at the "Finish" button form, I then click the "Finish" button.

That's why the Volume Label updates but the source field does NOT. DVDFab still works in this mode, it's just at some point it gets confused after about the 3rd or 4th disc and I get the "Please insert DVD......".

But as I mentioned in post #19 I clicked Finish first and it still happened.

For me it's not that big of a deal that I have to restart the app.
                      Last edited by AlienX69; 01-18-2010, 11:19 AM.
                      AX

Comment

@DC

When I wrote "Tweak UI form .... My Computer > AutPlay > Drives and de-selecting my Reader/Burner" in post # 21 I was speaking of and using Tweak, I've had tweak installed on my main box for years to stop unwanted exe's/processes from running a muck .

It's version 2.10.0.0, need to go see what the latest is and DL.

I looked on the left a couple of times and didn't see Autorun, just AutoPlay.

EDIT: Oops, forgot attachment ....

From the pic re your attachment to this post, go down one more line to 'Type', and you'll find a checkable box that'll allow the disabling of autorun, and that's what I was referring to.

I realize it's probably not a big deal to stop and restart Fab to get past the first DVD, but there is also the OP you were responding to (iwords) that may find it a big deal, and I think autorun must be disabled for the reset to work properly in Fab.

If I'm wrong on this point, I stand to be corrected...but I think your statements, as well as iwords, support that conclusion.

Please advise.

DC

Comment

I have quite a bit to catch up on, so it might take to the end of today or tomorrow at the latest to test thoroughly after turning autorun off via tweakui

I will advise ...

EDIT: I just checked tweakui, see attached, already had the CD and DVD drives unchecked. Apparently that is where I turned it off originally a very long time ago. Only thing I did yesterday was to uncheck D in the "Drives" section. I will test again thoroughly tomorrow as I'm picking some NEW stuff.

Attached Files
                          Last edited by AlienX69; 01-18-2010, 02:07 PM.
                          AX

Comment

Originally posted by DarthCopier View Post
                            I realize it's probably not a big deal to stop and restart Fab to get past the first DVD, but there is also the OP you were responding to (iwords) that may find it a big deal, and I think autorun must be disabled for the reset to work properly in Fab.
                            Indeed, while it's hardly life-threatening, it is quite wearing given that I'm used to ripping 3 or 4 discs in a row. For the record, I run with autorun enabled, and don't really want to have to disable it to be able to use DVDFab (I've not had to do this before, and I've been using DVDFab for many years).

As I mentioned in my opening post, if I uninstall 6.2.1.8 and re-install a version prior to 6.2.x.x everything works fine. While I obviously have no insight into the myriad changes made during each release, it would seem to my simple mind that something was implemented in version 6.2.x.x that has created (or at least exacerbated) this issue.

Are AlienX69 and I the only two people experiencing this problem? If anyone else fancies doing some impromptu testing, don't get involved in starting and cancelling rips, just swap discs over four times and see what happens each time.

I'm going to rebuild a second machine I have here to run a bone stock version of XP with nothing but DVDFab installed. I'll report back what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by iwords View Post
                              As I mentioned in my opening post, if I uninstall 6.2.1.8 and re-install a version prior to 6.2.x.x everything works fine.
                              If that is the case what version did you install where it works fine without changing any settings ???

I will install the same version and see if I get the same results !
                              AX

Comment

If that is the case what version did you install where it works fine without changing any settings ???
                                The only older version I still have the installer for is 5.2.5.0. That works fine.

I've just tried my laptop which happened to have 6.0.1.0 left on it. That worked fine, too.

However, as soon as I put 6.2.1.8 on it, it stopped recognising new discs. I'm sure if I still had the installer for 6.0.1.0 and put that back on, it would work fine. It's 6.2.x.x that's the problem, I believe.

Comment

Working...
                                X