Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

“File is corrupt or unsupported” message playing mp4 on Sony BDP-S5200 BluRay Player.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“File is corrupt or unsupported” message playing mp4 on Sony BDP-S5200 BluRay Player.

MP4 files created from DVD’s will not play on Sony BDP-S5200 BluRay Player.
    I copy the .mp4 files to UBS 3.0 flash drive. Error Message when trying to play the file: “File is corrupt or unsupported”
    The file will play OK on other device.
    If I create a MP4 file from same DVD source using HandBrake, file will play OK on BDP-S5200.
    Sony’s supported video file formats for the Sony BDP-S5200 BluRay Player is MPEG4/H.264 AVC (.mp4 and .m4v).
    I have tried different combinations of resolutions, encoding methods, video quality, frame rates, and audio options. None of the combinations that I have tried results in a playable .mp4 file from DVDFab10.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core Processor
    32GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Driver Version: 22.21.13.8253
    DVDFab10 V10.0.4.5

I have used different flash drives formatted as FAT32 and NTFS.

Comment

I have a similar problem with conversion to .mp4 with DVD Ripper.
      I get a codec missing message on my TV.
      However I found the .MKV conversion works with no codec problem.
      Check & see if the .mp4 will play on your computer from the flash drive . I bet they will.

Comment

The .mp4 file will play on other TV's and devices. Just not on the Sony player.
        Funny thing is that if I create the .mp4 file using HandBrake with the same settings it works OK. Trying to standardize my video files to .mp4.

Comment

Originally posted by cathobie View Post
          The .mp4 file will play on other TV's and devices. Just not on the Sony player.
          Funny thing is that if I create the .mp4 file using HandBrake with the same settings it works OK. Trying to standardize my video files to .mp4.
          I made some posts in this thread about using other software to create .mp4s .
          I also posted MediaInfo .txts . From using Handbrake & others. All .mp4s created with those worked.
          <span style="color:blue"><b> <span style="color:red"> </b></span>

I suggested the .mkv conversion so you could see if DVD Ripper would create a .mkv file that works . That will let you & DVDFab staff know that it is a problem with the .mp4 conversion but Ripper can convert using .mkv & that will play.
          Then when they get it fixed you can use .mp4 to standardize.

Comment

You can also stream your own music, video and photos from PCs and other devices on your home network. Supported formats include MKV, AVI, XviD, WMV, AVCHD, MP3, WMA and LPCM, but no DivX. You can’t stream FLAC or AAC over a network but you can play them via USB. JPEG, PNG and GIF photos can also be streamed.
            Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-b...vb6eSs6JdEv.99
            The player S5200 supports to playback MKV, found from the review.

With generous features and a compact design, Sony's impressive midrange Blu-ray deck offers terrific value for money

Wilson
            Please post your logs the default location is:
            For DVDFab 13: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\DVDFab13\Log
            For StreamFab: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\StreamFab\log
            Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.
            If it's the burning issue, please also attach burn log.

Thanks!

Comment

Thank you for the very good observation and suggestion.
              If I create a .mkv file using DVD Copy or DVD Ripper, it works OK on the Sony player.
              I tried creating another .mp4 using the same codec settings as the .mkv settings but it still will not work on the Sony.

Comment

Not sure which log files are needed but here are a few.
                Attached Files

Comment

My LG BD610 blu-ray player also has a problem playing DVD Ripper .mp4s.
                  As well as My Sharp Aquos TV as in the linked thread.
                  The .mp4s from the other conversion software that I tested all played on both units.
                  That included one command line conversion with FFMPEG .

So there is a problem with the conversion to .mp4 that Ripper does for some units.
                  The .mkv conversion has worked correctly on both units.

cathobie is having a similar problem with the Sony BDP-S5200 BluRay Player.

Comment

According to Sony Tech Support, I have the latest Software Update:
                    Version M20.R.0164

Comment

I have no plans to update my LG BD610 blu-ray player . It is 2011 so pre-Cinavia detection . Updating the firmware can change that & start a player to detecting Cinavia.

On to the thread topic.
                      I have tried multiple rips to .mp4 with DVD Ripper .
                      I have yet to get a .mp4 created by DVD Ripper that will play on my TV or LG BD player.

My last attempt was to an .aac audio file & it would not play either.
                      I will probably test again after some new versions of DVD Ripper are released.
                      For now DVD Ripper .mp4s will not play on my TV or BD player.

My solution for now will be to use other software converters if I need an .mp4 from a DVD.
                      I get an error message on all

Comment

I have a SONY S5500 and you know I had to try an MP4 on a thumb drive. It not only plays I'm impressed how good it looks. Good to have you here cholla we'll benefit from your experience.
                        How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
                        Albert Einstein

Comment

@ 90312 ,
                          Thanks I will try to help where I can.

Was the .MP4 you tried created with DVD Ripper ?

In this thread I did several .mp4s .
                          <span style="color:blue"><b> <span style="color:red"> </b></span>

The only ones that won't play were done with DVD Ripper.
                          Odd thing a .mkv with .aac selected done with DVD Ripper played fine.

Right now I'm testing just ripping the audio.
                          The .aac failed but the .mp3 played .
                          Every .mp4 file from DVD Ripper plays fine on my computer.
                          So did the two audio files.
                          So the problem appears to be that the codecs internal to my TV & LG BD player can't play the .mp4s with the codec DVD Ripper uses for its' conversion.

Comment

Yes the mp4 was made with Fab 10.0.4.6 AC3 audio.
                            Last edited by 90312; 07-06-2017, 12:32 AM.
                            How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
                            Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
                              Yes the mp4 was made with Fab 10.0.4.6 AC3 audio.
                              I'm still testing & wanted to ask:
                              Was the .mp4 you created done from a DVD compliant folder ripped to a harddrive ?

That's what I've been testing with to create the .mp4s I've tested .
                              As well as other files.
                              This is from a retail DVD I ripped with DVDFab 10.

Comment

Working...
                              X