No announcement yet.

dvd ripping and which file to choose.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From DVDFab Staff dvd ripping and which file to choose.

i want to make an amv. so i thought avi file would be best since they are compatable with windows movie maker. but to be honest, i'm not really sure what kind of file to choose when ripping my dvds.

I know a lot of people have a problem where they can either hear sound and see no video, or
    see video and hear no sound.
    well, i don't get either.

to start, i have ripped the files to my computer using DVDFab8 as avi. when it saved them, it came with 3 individual files to an episode. as in, episode one has files;
    FULL_METAL_PANIC_1.Title2
    FULL_METAL_PANIC_1.Title2.idx
    FULL_METAL_PANIC_1.Title2.sub
    when i play the first file in windows media player, everything checks out perfectly. i ripped the files in english with no subtitles, if that's what the .sub file is for...?

when i import the files to windows movie maker, the files seem to be "playing", the time bar moves, but nothing is happening. when i attempt to add them to the storyline, they will only fit into the "audio" slot, and yet play nothing. silence and black screen for 24 minutes.
    when i import the files to sony vegas pro, the files seem to do the same, but it displays a error message below the open files window. it reads "video/audio: stream attributes could not be determined"
    i also have a software that came with my webcam called media impression. it imports the files perfectly fine, but i cannot use this program to edit anything because there's no basic editing tools. Really i all i can do with that program is put full clips onto a storyboard. i don't want to bother with this program.

so basically, my problem is, i can import the avi files (that run perfectly fine in windows media player) into windows movie maker, but it will not display audio or video when previewing the files.
    can anyone help please?
    (ps: i have vista as it says in the title. i am yet to try and see if the files would work on an xp system. vista is my computer and xp is my mothers, so i'd rather use mine)
Working...
X