Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to rip a DVD into a *lossless* avi ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper How to rip a DVD into a *lossless* avi ?

Simple noob question..

How do I rip a DVD into a *lossless* avi ? I plan on using the resulting file in a external program and I do not want to cascade CODEC's. So I dont want DVDFab to alter the video other then decode it. I want to disbale compression.

I need a very high quality rip into a AVI format. Whats is the best way to do this. What I need is a "videocopy" and a "audiocopy".

Maybe I need to use another program ?

Im also confuzed by something else. If I set DVDFab to AVI or WMV and I set it to 10 Mb/s I end up with a far greater file size then the original DVD. Like 3 TIMES bigger. DVD is less then 9.5 Mb/s so how I am generating a 10 GB file from a 3GB source file using compression set to 10Mb/s ??

There is no way for me to use a 3rd party codec with DVDFab right ?

The re-encode process from MPEG (VOB) to H264/XVID (AVI) will always have quality loss in DVDFab. Only VOB Passthrough is lossless on DVDs. I do seem to remember an old method of turning off compression in other programs but the file size was massive (essentially a 720x480 uncompressed image for each frame). I haven't heard of that being used in a great while.

As far as bitrate, you are comparing the average bitrate in DVDFab with the maximum (a.k.a. peak) bitrate allowed by the DVD specification. The newer codecs are more efficient than the older MPEG2 so they should take less space. If you truely cannot work with the MPEG2 as the source then you might set a file size limit equal to the source file size rather than setting the average bitrate. BTW, if your editor doesn't recognize the file after VOB Passthrough try changing the extension to MPG.

Comment

Well..

My current journey started with captions being out of sync..

This led to using a number of programs to do this correctly.

I need a AVI with idx/sub to then bring into VirtualDub and use VOBDub/TxtSub to get the subs correct..

This led to playing with VirtualDub with a X264vfw CODEC.

It became clear that using a high quality starting file was important for the end result after running the movie thru VirtualDub. My starting AVI needed to be as good as possible.

So A AVI cant have a MPEG stream for video ? So I cant just encapsulate the DVD stream in a AVI wrapper ? I still need to have a idx/sub file.

Im really aware of MPEG, motion and compression artifacts so it bothers me when they are a issue. I know that cascading CODEC's has a bad result. I would MUCH rather there be a single pass process that worked.

The quality of DVDFab's process is quite good. However in this case it does not work for me as the subtitles are hopelessly out of sync. Creating a idx/sub set of files nad using VirtualDub to put them in works perfectly. The Direct render on this disc does not work. This issue has been reported numerous times in these forums.. On some discs it does not work.

I would also like to have plug ins for DVDFab. I would also like to to recognise other CODEC's that are present in windows.

Comment

There are MPEG2 mods for VirtualDub. You might try VOB Passthrough with idx/sub and then process it directly. There should not be a need to convert to AVI first.

FYI, discussion of VirtualDub itself would not be appropriate for the DVDFab forums.

Comment

Yes I fully understand its not appropriate to discuss VirtualDub. The ONLY reason i am using it is because DVDFab is not working correctly on some DVD's subtitles so I felt it was OK to mention it.

I do REALLY like the quality of a rip from DVDFab. Using H.264 and MP3 a really nice quality small file is produced. Well small for my use. I try and keep the file around 1GB.

The other REALLY HUGE issue with virtual dub is complexity. You REALLY gotta know what your doing to use it and be willing to do all sorts of weird stuff to get it all working. It also requires stuff from all sorts of other people. I sure dont want to use it as its annoying.

Comment

I am doing a subset of these procedures..

Comment

Working...
            X