DVD to HDD Convert with a Couple of Planning Stage Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper DVD to HDD Convert with a Couple of Planning Stage Questions

I have decided that backing up to dvd's no longer makes sense when I can have my collection on a HDD, that being said I am new to ripping and have been doing much research and thread searching lately, I've also been experimenting with ripping some of my DVD's...I currently rip them to my computer, put them on a thumb drive and plug directly into my Samsung 52" LED which plays it using its own internal media player (no ext media player yet)...

I want to be sure I have the hardware and process down packed before I start this little project of converting my 600+ DVD library...

My profile of choice is generic.mkv.h264.audiocopy with a bitrate of 2200 which leaves each average-sized movie ~ 2Gb...

1) I would like a setup with high storage capacity or the possibility of adding more HDD space later if I run out...since I'm in the U.S. and after reading many threads I am leaning towards the Argosy HV335T as the media player but not sure how it integrates with a HD...is the HD installed internal and/or connected via USB? Can any HD be used? What would be the process of adding more space if/when I run out? And what would be the difference/benefits of HDD vs. Server (as I see some people have)? fyi, i have only 1 tv and do not plan on setting up a network...

2) I would like to be able to rip the mkv's with as much of the dvd features as possible, specifically integrated subtitles (not hard coded) and chapter breaks, I have read that mkv's are capable of this...i know that DVDFab has some limitations so I'm wondering if I convert my collection and DVDFab releases updates with new features for mkv's will I have to re-convert my collection in the future?

Any help with this and any other suggestions that you may offer would be appreciated!
Working...
X