1080p .2 Bits/Pixel vs 720p

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) 1080p .2 Bits/Pixel vs 720p

I know resolution has been discussed in threads, but I am wondering from experienced users if ripping a bluray to 1080p (1920 x XXX) with a Bits/Pixel rating of .200 is the same, better than, or worse than the same disc ripped to 720p (1280 x XXX) with .200 bits/pixel.

It seems as though Fab defaults to a .200 bits/pixel setting when you select either 1080p or 720p to convert to. From other posts it seems like .200 is the recommended (minimum?) setting to produce good results. I have tested it and it does look good, but since a 2 hour film can be converted to a measly 3.35gb at 1080p (1920 x XXX) with a .200 bits/pixel, I have no problems bumping it up to .250 or .300.

Other than time, could I run into problems doing this? According to Xbox, a WMV streamed file can go up to 15mbps. According to MediaInfo, my 3.35gb file @ .2 bits/pix shows overall bit rate as 3943kbps and maximum 7815kbps. In Fab, does "fixed bitrate" indicate the cap? So if I go up to .3 bits/pixel Fab shows a fixed bitrate of 11012kbps for this particular film. This would put it under the Xbox 15mbps cap?

Would going up to .3 from .2 even be worth it? I can test it, but I am looking for opinions/people who have done it to cover my bases. On the other hand, instead of sticking with 1080p and bumping up the bits/pixel, is it "better" to go 720p and bump up the bits/pixel even more?

The film I tested is a drama with little action so if I keep my setting at .2 bits/pixel across the board for every film, could a more action oriented film cause problems (poor picture) and require a higher bits/pixel?
Working...
X