Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) Please explain the Subtitle options in Fab

Hello,
    I am a bit confused as to the several different subtitle options in DVDfab BD Ripper. I would like the subtitles to show for movies in which there is a foreign language(not English) without having to hit a button on the remote..if that makes sense I use PMS for streaming across my PS3 and it does not like subtitles.

I use the MKV option for my Blu rays. Under the MkV option there are two places in which different options can be chosen.

1. On the first screen under the list of subtitles and their respective language there is "display only forced sub picture".

2. Under profile edit setting (I use mkv.h264.audiocopy) there is yet another option under "subpicture box" to extract to idx sub file or direct render to video?

What settings do I need to select?

any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Brandon

bigbwb,
    subtitles you are looking for (foreign language conversation translation) is "Forced Subtitle", meaning they will be forced regardless of your selection in player menu. Please select desired language from the list (english in your case) and check "display only forced sub picture" box.
    Under "edit" section, I wouldn't suggest you ever select "direct render" option. This will make subtitles permanet part of picture without option to turn them off...
    sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Yeah, IP but the PS3 is pretty brain dead also....

He's gotta work out what is best for him.
      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I agree, especially when streaming, direct render to video may be better. The sub stream is just one more thing to transport to the player.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

signals, GregiBoy,
          I agree with both of you except the fact that options in "edit" apply only on common subs, not the forced ones. By selecting "rendering" option you will render common (and forced if both are present) into the picture without option to turn them off.
          Option "display only forced sub picture" in main window however, is the option for chosing forced subs only telling Fab to ignore others.
          I have noticed also, that in movies where forced subs are not present, Fab sometimes selecting common subs instead and extracting them as well. In these rare cases by selecting option to extract subs as stand along file, you can just delete them after process is done or mux them into container later.
          Last edited by IPopov50; 05-18-2011, 07:17 AM.
          sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
          For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
          For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
          Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Thanks guys! I guess ultimately based on the varying opinions, I will try both options. One movie that sticks in my mind is Hereafter, if you guys are familiar, what approach might be best?

Comment

If you want only the translation subs (example: Avatar), select the stream that contains them and use the Display Only Forced checkbox and direct render to video. The subs in your conversion will play exactly like they did in theaters.
              Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
              Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by IPopov50 View Post
                signals, GregiBoy,
                I agree with both of you except the fact that options in "edit" apply only on common subs, not the forced ones. By selecting "rendering" option you will render common (and forced if both are present) into the picture without option to turn them off.
                Option "display only forced sub picture" in main window however, is the option for chosing forced subs only telling Fab to ignore others.
                I have noticed also, that in movies where forced subs are not present, Fab sometimes selecting common subs instead and extracting them as well. In these rare cases by selecting option to extract subs as stand along file, you can just delete them after process is done or mux them into container later.
                IPopov50,

What does "mux them into container later" mean? Sorry if this is a noob question

Thx

Comment

I'll try to explain this in a simple fashion...

Let's take a MKV Video file produced as an example.

Within the MKV Container (File) you have STREAMS. At a minimum, you willl have an audio stream & video stream.

The MKV container can contain other streams which any reasonable player can turn on/off at will. For example, I will quite often produce a MKV file that has both Dolby Digital soundtracks and multiple subtitles contained within the file.

The process of combining the multiple tracks together or adding another one into the one container is commonly called "Muxing".

Hope this helps.
                  Last edited by GregiBoy; 06-24-2011, 09:21 PM.
                  "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

GregiBoy,

Perfect! Well explained, thank you. This is exactly what I was searching for in the forums because I could not find this option in DVDRipper.

So I can assume that the option of adding a subtitle track to an MKV container that you rip from a DVD is not possible in DVDRipper? If not, could you recommend how I can do this? I am trying to do this because my dvd player can not load separate subtitle files but instead can turn them on if they are in the MKV container file.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Comment

Currently this feature is not available in the DVD Ripper module and I will mention the software as it is FREE, does not compete with Fab, and compliments Fab where Fab has shortcomings.

I use MKVMerge which is part of MKVToolnix. It can also be used to mux in chapter points, ChapterGrabber produced XML files, and even Album Art.

Hope this helps.
                      Last edited by GregiBoy; 06-25-2011, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Excellent! Thanks GregiBoy!

Comment

Glad to be of assistance. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx !!!
                          Last edited by Guest; 06-25-2011, 04:37 PM. Reason: removed unwarrented comment

Comment

Your posts attempting to engage forum staff in debates about forum policy have been deleted. They are off-topic posts for this or any thread. Use the PM system to contact the staff if you have problems with the policies here.

Comment

Working...
                            X