Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Settings for 100% Quality DVD->AVI

Hello,
    normally I tilt the bitrate-bar to around 1.5gb-filesize but now I have a new 3tb harddrive
    So I wonder how to make the best quality avi from a dvd?! If I use the generic.xvid.audiocopy profile and turn the bitrate-bar to the max, the file would be bigger then a DVD9! This doesnt make sense.
    Or should I use the h264 profile? Or sth else? I have no clue. I just used xvid out of an old habit. Maybe theres a better option with better quality now. I just want the file in the end to be an AVI. Size doesnt matter!
    Thank you in advance

H264 will give you better results for a given bitrate over XVid but it depends whether your target device will play H264.

Really, the bitrate decision is very subjective and I suggest that you try a couple of tests.

FWIW: For DVD content, I generally use 1100 as my base but sometimes creep up to 1800 for fast moving action titles. Much more that that does not add a discernable quality difference.

As I say, do a couple of tests yourself. All it costs is a bit of time and disk space.

Originally posted by baatton View Post
    Hello,
    normally I tilt the bitrate-bar to around 1.5gb-filesize but now I have a new 3tb harddrive
    So I wonder how to make the best quality avi from a dvd?! If I use the generic.xvid.audiocopy profile and turn the bitrate-bar to the max, the file would be bigger then a DVD9! This doesnt make sense.
    Or should I use the h264 profile? Or sth else? I have no clue. I just used xvid out of an old habit. Maybe theres a better option with better quality now. I just want the file in the end to be an AVI. Size doesnt matter!
    Thank you in advance
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Okay, then I'll switch to h264 (I play it on the PC using vlc-player, so it should be fine)!
      Okay, thanks, sounds reasonable

Comment

If you plan on using the h264 codec, I would highly recommend changing your container from AVi to MKV. This is a far superior container and will produce better quality files than AVI using this codec.

Incase you struggle to play the MKV file with VLC, which you shouldnt, you might need HAALI media splitter which comes in the k-lite codec pack. Google it and you will find it...

Comment

Agree. MKV is my container of choice.... You can add eveything into the container...

Multiple audio, multiple subs, chapter marks, album art, etc, etc....

Fab won't do all this but there are plenty of free tools to do this.
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I wrestled with this a long time ago and revisited the issue recently. My conclusions are that it's far better to rip to .ISO and then use either a player that will read the .ISO without problem and play them natively.....or use daemon tools to mount the .iso as a DVD. Both methods work well for me whether using a local, or a networked drive. I don't bother making them smaller, just rip the basics I need. I have around 8 terrabytes of drives here plenty of space for lots of DVDs.

The trouble with the conversion is the quality loss, so even if you used the same bitrate and filesize as a DVD, your quality will be a lot lower....purely as a function of having "converted" the video file

Hopefully I'm not breaking any forum rules here but if you must make em smaller:

You may be better off using "DVD Shrink" to make the DVD.ISO (ripped by DVD fab) smaller as I feel the quality produced is better than DVD Fabs own conversions, it's also a little faster on my system. Simply select custom ratio and drag the slider all the way to the left for about 53% compression. Turns a 4.8gb dvd into a 2.7gb .iso It's limited to that amount of compression, but it might just meet your needs.

P.S. DVD Shrink is an old program that was freeware, not sure if it's still available anymore, last released version was 3.2 around 5 or 6 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by duskdevilza View Post
              If you plan on using the h264 codec, I would highly recommend changing your container from AVi to MKV. This is a far superior container and will produce better quality files than AVI using this codec ...
              Agreed: its my understanding this codec and container combo works for preserving HD with full 5.1 audio as well, much better than MP4 which with for example Playstation 3 only allows 2 channel audio. MP4 - not exactly best way to preserve blu-ray or IMO DVD high fidelity.
              Last edited by rocky01; 12-23-2011, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Hello,
                another thing I'm a bit confused about. Hope you can help me!
                My flatemate gave my a really cool movie packed in a 4gb ISO file and I want that in an avi file with only the english audio track.
                1. Since I want the best quality, I want the original resolution (more would be stupid I guess). But when I open the file in vlc-player it says in the extra menu that the original resolution is 720x480.....Dvdfab tells me 640x480....What is right now? I'm confused
                2. Both vlc and dvdfab at least agree with the framerate: An unbelievable 59.9fps! Can that be true? What should I choose at ripping? (I normally use 23.976fps)
                Thank you!!!

Comment

The minute you do anything to the video e.g. convert it to .avi whatever the bitrate you use, you will lose quality. As I said before if you want the same quality as the original DVD, simply rip the main movie to a .ISO (for convenience I use the .iso container), then use the right player. If you don't want to use a player that properly support .iso, then daemon tools rom allows you to mount the .iso file as a DVD.

A lot of people are giving you advice based on the fact they believe you are converting a BR disk of HD files of some type, having presumably not read your posting. If you want to keep DVD the same quality, then don't muck about with the video, dont change the resolution (about the worst thing you could do), the bitrate, mpeg container....nothing. I suggested DVD shrink only if you HAVE to make it smaller.

Unless of course there is some compelling reason the ripped dvd file has to be .avi rather than .iso?
                  Last edited by davecuk; 01-02-2012, 07:08 PM.

Comment

100% Quality

As a rule of thumb, if the quailty is around d 90%-92% remove end titles using shrink DVD 3.2 or Nero Recode.

Doubtfull if you can even detect final quality of less than 95% particularely if you have an upscaler.

Given the price of DL DVD,s and the percentage of DVD's that require them very little reason not to have all back ups at 100%.

Comment

I see, thank you!

Comment

Working...
                      X