No announcement yet.

Kill Bill English Forced Subtitles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) Kill Bill English Forced Subtitles?

Any secret to getting the English forced subtitles to show on either Volume 1 and Volume 2 of Kill Bill?

Can get full blown subtitles to show. Even VLC can not seem to pick up the forced subtitles no matter what Options I've tested.

Forced works with movies like Avatar, Monuments Men, etc., so I know it can work.

Which container are you saving your movie back-up to?
    Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 06-28-2014, 07:46 PM.
    I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
    I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Comment

Good question. Don't know why I left it off.

MKV

Tried MakeMKV and that works and the forced subtitles are shown. But as with all output from MakeMKV the file size is huge.

Comment

You can try extracting to idx\sub and VLC should pick up the correct subs. At least it does for me on Thor Dark World.
        How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
        Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks but I'm using VLC just to test the archive. I'm playing the video file through my Mede8er 800X3D as the norm.

ISO's work. No stuttering even being streamed from my NAS and the file size is large.

Apparently Kill Bill's do not actually have forced subtitles. The subtitles are stand alone like regular subtitles. DVDFab sees two English subtitle tracks. I found with one functions as the regular kind of subtitles. Which means I found the one that functions like the "forced" ones usually do.

I made the ISO with the desired subtitle track but did NOT select "only forced". Tested it in both version 8 and 9. It works fine with the Mede8er. The kung fu master's dialog is both synched and quite legible.

I am trying one more thing and that is another MKV attempt but selecting the desired subtitle track but am rendering to video. I tried VOBSUB, did not work.

But I've done so many trials I may have left Forced Subtitle on and that has to be unchecked.

Comment

Just be advised there is a known bug in Fab on the way it handles forced subs on certain titles. So your results might be unpredictable.
            How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
            Albert Einstein

Comment

Bugs in Fab? No way.....

Rendering the desired subtitle track into the video also worked. Finding the relevant subtitle track AND not selecting "Forced" seems to be the trick.

Trying one more right now in a more normal fashion with PGS, desired track and not selecting "Forced".

Although I like the render into video. Smaller MKV and it acts as what "forced" should be. Regardless of my subtitle setting they show.

Comment

The normal way I do subtitles worked as well, PGS remux into file, but again with Kill Bill the Forced Subtitle option in DVDFab is not the correct option to check. Even though I end up with for all practical purposes forced subtitles those subtitles are not structured on the bluray as actual forced subtitles.

They are structured as regular subtitles.

Using the render to video is a nice option. Probably going to always use these kinds of subtitles, forced types. Rendering the Kill Bill subtitles to video turned them into actual forced subtitles.

Lot of work to get to "I will treat you like a dog....hit you with a stick...."

Comment

I think it would be useful if you could run one or more of your 'problem' files through an application called MediaInfo (set to text mode). And post what it reports, IN FULL as a text (.txt) file?
                  I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
                  I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Comment

I have the forced subtitles

I can't remember what I did when ripping to get the forced subtitles, but I have them for volume 1 & 2 in .SRT format which you can mux into the MKV file using MKVmerge. PM if you like me to send you the srt files.

Comment

I don't have any problem files. The files are just fine.

It would be nice to have an easy way to quickly check which blurays do sub titles like this, the forced is actually a stand alone "subtitle".

I've been told there is a spread sheet that is keeping a running list. Which is great. Would be so much easier if MediaInfo did something like that too.

Comment

nice idea, but..

There's no simple way to tell how the subtitles are mastered in a particular disk other than trial and error

Comment

MediaInfo will (amongst other things) identify the type of subtitles that were encoded (there are several types) and whether they were flagged as 'forced'. All of which is all very useful information!

Comment

"other than trial and error"

That seems to be the case. A bit time consuming too.

Comment

Originally posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post
                              "other than trial and error"

That seems to be the case. A bit time consuming too.

I just rip with any English subtitles checked and "forced" not checked, then use SubtitleEdit to work out which if any of the English language subtitles need to be remuxed into the MKV. Sadly, this isn't a problem that DVDFAB can solve :-(

Comment

Working...
                              X