Anamorphic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Anamorphic?

What exactly is an anamorphic rip? I've been told it's preferred for x264 rips, but I'm not sure how to make one, and is there any increase in quality?

HI:If the movie is anamorphic on the disk that's what you get with the Fab rip.
    Some dvd disks i have that are older have the anamorphic version of the movie on one side and the 4x3 regular version on the other so ripping the anamorphic side would be a anamorphic rip of the disk.

Comment

Perhaps the information in the following link will help you: http://www.seemoredigital.net/03_Vid...ic_encode.html

Cheers
      I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
      I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Comment

For some reason DVDFab doesn't rip the output to the full anamorphic resolution. How do I get it to do that?

Comment

DVDFab encodes the displayed aspect ratio, there is no need to stretch or squash the images since there are no physical constraints (other than the monitor's screen) on the image. That being said, you can trick DVDFab into producing an anamorphic-looking image but it will not play back correctly on any player that I know, you would need one like DVDFab Media Player that allows you to control the pixel aspect ratio during playback. Anamorphic images in movies first came into being as a workaround for fitting a widescreen image onto an almost square 35mm film frame while using the largest exposable area of the film for the image rather than leaving it blank.

Hats off to SeeMoreDigital for the excellent tutorial on his website which is linked in post #3, I commend it to everyone.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
            Hats off to SeeMoreDigital for the excellent tutorial on his website which is linked in post #3, I commend it to everyone.
            +1, reading this site enabled me to figure out what had gone wrong with a DVD rip that I did a few years where the aspect ratio was completely screwed, a little work with VidCoder and I was able to restore it to it's correct 16x9 aspect ratio ;-)

Comment

Thanks! For some reason I was under the impression that encoding the full anamorphic resolution resulted in higher quality rips.

Comment

It is very true that anamorphic transfers on DVDs and Blurays produce higher quality images than flat transfers. Transfers like this use the available bits for moving image data instead of black bars. To see the effect of flat transfers of widescreen content, find a copy of the original DVD R1 release of Goodfellas.
                Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Quite a few years ago (when the sizes of HDD's was low and their costs were high), I and some others over on the Doom9 forum experimented with converting (MPEG-2) DVD's with their non-square (anamorphic) pixels to square pixel (MPEG-4) encodes. This involved working out the original pixel height of the movies image area, cropping away any black mattes followed be re-sizing the pixel width of the movies image area... Overall the experiment worked well and the resulting encodes looked good.

Nowadays however, because HDD's are so large and pretty cheap, there's less of a need to do any encoding at all. Indeed, most of us just extract the MPEG-2 'movie only' part the original DVD and don't perform any encoding at all...
                  Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 09-19-2014, 10:01 AM.
                  I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
                  I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Comment

For some reason I was told with x264, anamorphic DVDs should always be ripped at the full anamorphic resolution.

Comment

Where were you told this? I am wondering if there was possibly a misunderstanding of your question or your interpretation of the answer. DVDFab allows you to encode the full decoded resolution (or other desired size), so that round things stay round and the movie looks just like it did in a theater.

Comment

It was on an encoding forum. Is the default resolution in the ripper the full decoded resolution?

Comment

Like, for example, the resolution listed in the crop menu, once I've cropped it, is 853x458, but when it encodes it comes out to something smaller than that. I was told x264 rips should always be encoded at that larger resolution.

Comment

Originally posted by ZacharyGeorgeNN View Post
                            I was told x264 rips should always be encoded at that larger resolution.
                            Whoever is telling you this is wrong!

Sufficed to say all 'Widescreen Anamorphic' NTSC (MPEG-2) DVD's are encoded using 720x480 pixels with 16:9 DAR (Display Aspect Ratio) signalling. So there's nothing stopping you generating a 720x480 MPEG-4 AVC encode with 16:9 DAR signalling too!

If there any black mattes above and below the image, you can either crop them away or keep them. It makes very little difference to the finished file size either-way because the colour black consumes very little to no bits...

Comment

In their rips, the resolution in Media Info is always listed as something like 670x546 ~> 728x546. Supposedly this is supposed to be higher quality, but I don't notice any difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X