Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turn off chroma subsampling (yuv420p vs yuv444p) for less ghosting in anaglyph video?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) Turn off chroma subsampling (yuv420p vs yuv444p) for less ghosting in anaglyph video?

Hello,

I when I started to use DVDFab to encode H.264 anaglyph 3D video for my Android tablet, I noticed significant ghosting and the 3D quality was much worse than I could get by viewing the BluRay 3D disc directly on my PC using CyberLink Power DVD's anaglyph mode.

After doing some research, I found out that chroma sub-sampling in the H.264 codec is to blame. Chroma sub-sampling causes the color information to be stored in a much lower resolution than the brightness information. While this provides excellent compression on 2D video, it introduces significant ghosting in anaglyph 3D. Here is a website that shows the effect:

The solution is to use yuv444p encoding rather than the default yuv420p encoding. The current version of FFMPEG will enable "yuv444p" encoding automatically when rendering anaglyph video, so I am a bit puzzled as to why DVDFab does not.

Right now I've been using the workaround of using DVDFab to rip to 3D SBS video, which I then re-encode using FFMEG into anaglyph. This gives me much better results, but is slow as it requires two separate decode/encode steps.

I've seen it mentioned on the website that DVDFab uses FFMPEG as the encoder, so I am a bit confused as to why DVDFab is saving anaglyph with yuv420p. Is possible my version of DVDFab is too old? (I am using version 9.1.6.8)

If DVDFab indeed uses FFMPEG in the backend, it would seem trivial to add an option to switch anaglyph rendering from yuv420p to yuv444p, as this greatly increases the quality of the result.

Would anyone be able to tell me whether the latest version of DVDFab already does this?
Working...
X