This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forced Subtitles - Angels & Demons

I discovered this problem because I wanted the forced subtitles for this title which occur during the Halidron Collider scenes.

I am presented with 2 English subtitle tracks so I tried the first one with "Forced Subtitles Only" ticked.

This gave me ALL the subtitles, so I decided to investigate.

I opened the rip to the hard disk and opened it with DVDSubEdit. This showed the two English tracks correctly and when I toggle "Show only forced subs" on it shows the correct subtitles that I want.

To further prove what was wrong, I ran Fab again with the same settings but instead of burning the subtitles in, I extracted these to SUB/IDX.

I then opened the SUB/IDX with SubTitleEdit and this confirms that ALL the subtitles are extracted, not just the forced subs.

Any thoughts or it may be a bug in Fab that needs reporting?
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

GregiBoy, I ran into similar problem (maybe the same):

1) when I Ripped 30 Days of Night using customize to DVD just the main movie (I wanted the menu). Then using this ripped version I tried to convert dvd to mobile and like you I had two English subtitles tracks and no matter what I tried I alway had the entire subtiltes created.

I got around this one by ripping with Full DVD to hard drive and then it worked. I wanted only forced subtitles

2) Syriana: I recently bought syriana and the same thing happened. Also on this one the forced subtitles only was greyed out. But I have not had time to see if ripping to Full DVD would solve the problem.

I was going to post something about this a couple days ago but I wanted to figure out the Syriana problem first.

both are R1

Edited: (for Syriana)
    Using Generic.avi.divx.audiocopy I get both and greyed out for force subtitles only
    using the PS3 profile I get both but I can select force subtitles only
    Last edited by Karloff; 01-27-2010, 12:01 AM. Reason: clarification

Comment

The only thing that worked for me for all players I use was doing "Forced Subtitles" and changed the profile to "render to video". I believe I only selected the top English subtitle track. I usually only select the main English subtitle track when ripping the movie. Forced subtitles, in earlier releases, got confused when you had more than 1 English subtitle track selected.

Comment

I'm trying this now. The way Gregiboy did it should work perfectly.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Yeah but it didn't !!!!
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I can't make it not work. I tried it two ways:
            1) ripped entire original disc to HDD, Customize+Menus, movie+3 extras, selected all subpic streams to be included. Used this to make generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy, selecting English only subpic stream, display only forced, direct render to video, auto crop, 512x???, .25 B/P. This worked perfectly, only forced subs displayed.

2) ripped chapters 2-4 of original disc to HDD, Customize/No Menus, English only subpic stream. Used the same settings in DVD to Mobile, same result, worked perfectly. All this with v6.2.2.0.

Remember that selecting more than one subpic stream in DVD to Mobile will make the direct render to video option unavailable. The first French subpic stream also has forced subs, the bottom one does not.

I have seen situations where just reading the VOBs with DVDSubEdit made display only forced not work (even with no changes to subs).
            Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
            Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Syriana: Example forced sub picture problem

Here is the example with screen captures for syriana: (GregiBoy is this the same type of problem you are having?)

I can get forced sub titles only using the PS3 profile but not the Generic AVI

Generic Profile ---------------------------------

1) Notice in the sryiana_generic.jpg screen capture both subtitles can be selected at once. But the "display only forced sub picture" is disabled.

2) Notice in the syrana_generic_render.jpg screen caputure I cannot select render to screen.

PS3 Profile--------------------------------------------------------
              This one is the way I think it should work.

3) Notice in the syriana_PS3.jpg screen capture I can only select one or the other but it won't let both of them be selected at once. Also the "display only forced sub picture" is available to be checked.

4) Notice in the syriana_ps3_render.jpg screen capture I can select render to screen.

This same type of problem happens with the movie "30 days of Night". I had a hard time figuring out how to get the forced sub titles to work.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Karloff; 01-27-2010, 03:05 AM.

Comment

Not really.

What I do is use generic, select top substream, select forced and I can choose "render to Video" or "SUB/IDX" and it works.

BUT.....

Both methods show ALL the subtitles, not just the FORCED subtitles.

Comment

A&D has closed captions, that may be confusing something in DVDFab somewhere.

Comment

On the R4 disk, I only get 2 x English tracks.

Track 1 contains the forced subs as I ascertained above. Track 2 does not.

I have gotten around it by physically editing the SRT file that I ended up exporting to from Subtitle editor.

Comment

GregiBoy, (hope I can explain this well enough)

the Angels and Demons I have is R1 and does not have 2 English subtitle tracks it only has one. But it behaves exactly as you describe for your R4 Angels and Demons. I fought but I finally figured out how to get this to work.

I had to use Customize. I selected Title 1 - Sound track top choice English AC-3/5.2 and only the top English subtitle. Ripped this to Hard Drive.

Then Used DVD to Mobile - selected the subtitle and display only forced checked.

I have it set to render to screen,

The rest shouldn't matter but:
                      generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy
                      1400 bit rate
                      2 pass
                      DVD Fab selected resolution of 704 x 290 .

The same exact thing happens with 30 days of Night R1. This time I have 2 subtitle tracks.

I saved to Hard drive as customized: Title 1, Top english sound track AC-3/5.1, top subtitle track.

DVD to Mobile same as Angels and Demons and it works. If you don't do this you can never get the forced and unforced separated.

Let me know if this procedure works for your R4 Angels and Demons when you have time. Just do chapter 2 as your test.

Comment

Will give it a go as that's the chapter I want.

Comment

Working...
                        X