Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ShawScope Vol.1 Subtitles not imbedding

Hi,

I just received the new Arrow ShawScope Vol.1 BD Collection. The issue I am having is that I cannot imbed or remux the English subtitles into the movies. This is a first; I have ripped literally hundreds of DVDs and BDs from Hong Kong and Korea and if a subtitle existed, DVDFab extracts it. I believe these discs are unusual in some why, The subtitles show up in the Preview mode, which has me at a loss as to what's going on. I have attached my log for more information. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files

Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot-20211223-122833.png
Views:	440
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	404377
    Do you get any subtitle streams here and have you picked one?
    From the log file, it seems that you haven't selected any subtitles before the conversion started.

Comment

Hi Mona,

In answer to your question, I have tried them all! This is unique. I even tried using PassKey along with Handbrake and no subtitle streams are present. The BD collection is 8 discs of which I have checked five (5). One disc I was able to get a subtitle stream; it was vobSub, another first. it would appear remuxing is the only option with this set. Like I mentioned, I have ripped at least 250-300 Chinese and Korean DVDs and BDs with no issue. I have also ripped about 75 western releases of Asian movies and this Arrow release is the first with this problem. I have attached another log. The movie which worked is Chinatown Kid. Maybe that can provide a little insight as to what Arrow is doing with the subtitles. TIA
      Attached Files

Comment

Please supply a BDinfo of the disc, you can find it at C:\Users\xxx\Documents\DVDFab\DVDFab12\BDInfo

Comment

Mona,

Here you go...
          Attached Files

Comment

Hope Mona could shed some light on this. I was in the process of pre-ordering this set for the Dec 28th release but if ripping it to another source is going to come without subtitles, it's going to be a pass for me. You sound like you know what's up and know what you're doing is right, so crossing my fingers there is a resolution coming forward on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Mona View Post
              Click image for larger version  Name:	screenshot-20211223-122833.png Views:	45 Size:	20.8 KB ID:	404377
              Do you get any subtitle streams here and have you picked one?
              From the log file, it seems that you haven't selected any subtitles before the conversion started.
              @SecondB

Our developer has checked the BDinfo, and there are subtitles in the source.
              In my previous post, I asked whether you have any subtitle streams under the subtitle list, and you said you "have tried them all!" I should have asked for more info.
              --So you get subtitle options shown in the list, but no matter which you picked, there was no subtitle in the output file?
              Please kindly display the list take a screenshot of that and show us, thank you.

And please give this a try:
              Use Copy - Main Movie mode, pick one or two chapters, be sure to select the subtitles and then make a copy, use the copy as a source to rip again and see if you can get any subtitles or not.

Comment

Mona

To answer the developers question, they are right! There are subtitles in the disc! I AM SELECTING THEM ALL. Unfortunately, they do not appear in the processed file. Please understand, I totally believe Arrow is the one doing something weird here; it is on your team to figure out what. I also did try a copy of the first two chapters of the movie King Boxer and proceeded to rip this package into an MKV file . This also did not work. What I did discover is that I chose all audio tracks and subtitle streams. Your preview of the ACTUAL disc is perfect all audio tracks and subtitle streams are available. However the copied package while it indicates the all subtitles are there, when you run the preview and select a stream nothing appears. DVDFab's processing is suppressing the subtitles for some reason. I cannot stress to you my experience with subtitled movies. Just this November I purchased 14 Chinese BDs from Hong Kong and DVDFab previewed perfectly and outputted subtitled MKVs perfectly, each an every one of them. If it is of any value, I have zipped up that disc segment and FTP it to you if send me a link.

Comment

Originally posted by SecondB View Post
                  Mona

To answer the developers question, they are right! There are subtitles in the disc! I AM SELECTING THEM ALL. Unfortunately, they do not appear in the processed file. Please understand, I totally believe Arrow is the one doing something weird here; it is on your team to figure out what. I also did try a copy of the first two chapters of the movie King Boxer and proceeded to rip this package into an MKV file . This also did not work. What I did discover is that I chose all audio tracks and subtitle streams. Your preview of the ACTUAL disc is perfect all audio tracks and subtitle streams are available. However the copied package while it indicates the all subtitles are there, when you run the preview and select a stream nothing appears. DVDFab's processing is suppressing the subtitles for some reason. I cannot stress to you my experience with subtitled movies. Just this November I purchased 14 Chinese BDs from Hong Kong and DVDFab previewed perfectly and outputted subtitled MKVs perfectly, each an every one of them. If it is of any value, I have zipped up that disc segment and FTP it to you if send me a link.
                  have you tried using "direct render to video" ?? try that and see if you get the subtitles.

Comment

october262

Yes. That was my standard MO for ripping as it's less strain on the media player. Lately though I have moved to remuxing the PGSSUB stream into the movies. Another example. Yesterday I ripped a BD of an older movie, District 9. In this movie the aliens are major characters in the movie and they have their own language. This disc has 8(!) English subtitle streams. I was not about to figure out which stream had the alien translation so I extracted them all!. DVDFab had no issue with this disc (stream 6 BTW). Again the issue is with this Arrow collection, not DVDFab per se, It would just be nice to be able to have the subtitles available.

Comment

october262

Yes. That was my standard MO for ripping as it's less strain on the media player. Lately though I have moved to remuxing the PGSSUB stream into the movies. Another example. Yesterday I ripped a BD of an older movie, District 9. In this movie the aliens are major characters in the movie and they have their own language. This disc has 8(!) English subtitle streams. I was not about to figure out which stream had the alien translation so I extracted them all!. DVDFab had no issue with this disc (stream 6 BTW). Again the issue is with this Arrow collection, not DVDFab per se, It would just be nice to be able to have the subtitles available.
                      do the subtitles show if you copy the full disc to your computer ??

Comment

october262 ,

My apologies. I thought you had asked if I had tried imbedding directly and the answer is Yes. The subtitles do not appear when DVDFab does anything to the source. And that includes the PassKey/Handbrake combo.

Comment

However the copied package while it indicates the all subtitles are there, when you run the preview and select a stream nothing appears.
                          To confirm, when you playback this copy using regular software players, can you get any subtitles?

Also, when you copy or rip, do you happen to tick the option "Display only forced subtitle"?

Comment

Mona ,

The only software media player I use is your Preview feature, and the subtitles appear correctly. I use 'Display Only Forced Subtitle" when a mainly English movie has small portions of foreign language in them (ex. Captain America Civil War, Rambo Last Blood). Once DVDFab begins processing the files, they are gone. The fact that DVD PassKey also has this issue with the Arrow discs might provide some insight.

Comment

Mona

Quick update. It appears this is another issue with DVDFab12 which was not present in Fab11. For me this is the second small issue that has occurred when moving to Fab12. I ripped the BD King Boxer using Fab 11.0.1.7 and all the subtitle tracks were available. Again ripping with Fab 12.0.5.7 produces no subtitles. Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                              X