This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

deinterlacing

I am not finding any info in the guide for this setting.

do I assume tick it = deinterlacing ON, untick = OFF.

should it normally be left on for a (standard) dvd source, converting to divx for PC playback. ?

I've done a test file with both settings & honestly cannot see any difference

Generally it can be left OFF. You may need to turn it ON when doing some TV shows which will require this feature.

You will know from the results when you ned to use it.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

[QUOTE=GregiBoy;3425]Generally it can be left OFF. You may need to turn it ON when doing some TV shows which will require this feature.

You will know from the results when you ned to use it.[/QUOTE

confusing - I read elsewhere that deinterlacing should always BE used, because DVD sources are all interlaced & AVI for PC does not need to be. thus best to deinterlace at conversion stage ?

do you happen to know what older versions of DVDfab did before this tick box was added, i.e. did it just deinterlace anyway, or not ?

Comment

I don't know what sources you are referring to but I'm telling you from my experience, I've only ever had to use it for some (not all) TV series on DVD and I have done literally thousands of encodes.

The older versions of Fab had it as automatic which sometimes did not work and to enable it you had to go in and modify the profile.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
          I don't know what sources you are referring to but I'm telling you from my experience, I've only ever had to use it for some (not all) TV series on DVD and I have done literally thousands of encodes.

The older versions of Fab had it as automatic which sometimes did not work and to enable it you had to go in and modify the profile.
          ok - I will take your advice & toggle it off.

the "sources" were a query I posted at thebox.bz, as to whether I should have deinterlace on or off in video players for watching downloaded .avi files. the answer was that deinterlace is usually removed at .avi creation stage i.e. when encoding thus no need to have it ON in VLC & other players

that is why I thought that I should be using it when encoding to divx.

quick look at my competitor products : xilisoft defaults to ON ( interpolate) with a choice of methods in drop down box. DIVX converter has no option to toggle & does not say what it does!

I did find that for guitar lesson video, where I do a lot of freeze frame/ frame advance, it's better to have deinterlace OFF in powerdvd for watching the original dvd source. freeze frames seem clearer that way.

Comment

Mate, we are talking two different subjects here.

You are talking about what the players do with an interlaced source.

What I am talking about is whether Fab need to have deinterlacing turned on to produce the deinterlaced AVI.

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
              Mate, we are talking two different subjects here.

You are talking about what the players do with an interlaced source.

What I am talking about is whether Fab need to have deinterlacing turned on to produce the deinterlaced AVI.
              yes I appreciate that, I was just explaining why I got into the subject.
              the player setting follows on from the encoding setting.i.e. if all interlacing is removed at encode then no need to try removing it again at playback stage!

So you reckon that Fab produces a deinterlaced AVI file anyway, whether the box is ticked or not. ?

I tried to figure that out wth gspot after making 2 copies of same souce file - one with box ticked, one with box unticked, but gspot does not seem to say anything about interlacing ?

Comment

Usually depending on the source!!!

As I said before, it depends on the source. Most times it will not even need it to be ticked and in my way of thinking, anything ticked will add a processing overhead and should be left off if not necessary.

I have only found it necessary on a few older TV shows that have been released on DVD and prior to this version, I used to have a custom profile to handle them if I though it necessary after checking the output file.

Can we put this one to bed now?

Comment

How do you know when a DVD is interlaced?

@Gregiboy

I have only just started using DVDFab and find it mostly intuitive and easy to use and so far have had few problems.

But in my first project ABC TV series I did find I had to redo the encoding but this time making sure I selected de-interlacing.

Now if it weren't 't for some other program I had tried to use before DVDFab I wouldn't have known the DVD was interlaced.

So a Google search has brought me this thread and you seem to know the program quite well.

Is there any way in DVD Fab and so avoid the need of another program to determine whether a DVD is interlaced or not? I tried lookignunder Common Settings|Info and couldn't find any indication.

Thanks

Comment

My experience has been like GregiBoy’s, if the movie is a Hollywood style shot with a camera on film it’s not likely to be interlaced, but some TV series and special DVDs like training videos or exercise videos that were shot with video recorders may be interlaced. If you have a doubt turn it on, if the video is progressive it doesn’t do anything harmful.
                    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
                    Albert Einstein

Comment

No there is no way in Fab.

I generally to a test on one of the TV episodes to see if it is necessary otherwise I leave it off.

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
                        My experience has been like GregiBoy’s, if the movie is a Hollywood style shot with a camera on film it’s not likely to be interlaced, but some TV series and special DVDs like training videos or exercise videos that were shot with video recorders may be interlaced. If you have a doubt turn it on, if the video is progressive it doesn’t do anything harmful.
                        Thanks. Understood.

But is the information not displayed in DVD Fab or is there a simple software which can tell? If not, I'll use that rule of thumb.

Thanks

Comment

Thanks for both replies.

I remembered I had used it once before for an AVI I couldn't playback but tried and found GSPOT will also determine pretty quickly if a DVD or file is interlaced.

Quicker than encoding by trial and error.

Comment

DVDFab has internal logic that tries to determine if the content needs to be deinterlaced or not. The degree of success depends on many things including the authoring of the original DVD, but it is not perfect. The new DVD to Mobile engine may have some improvements when it becomes available, hopefully before too long.

For a problem disc in the meantime, you can control the deinterlacing and method using a line you can add to any profile. See the posts in this thread for more information: http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=518
                            Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                            Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Signals,

Do you know if this deinterlace mode funcationality still works? I tried to use it and couldn't get it to work. I outlined the problem in this thread:

(not trying to hijack this one, but I haven't gotten a response on that thread and I'm trying to do what you're describing here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.)

Comment

Working...
                              X