Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did you initially learn to hear the four tones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Elite Learning Staff How did you initially learn to hear the four tones?

Looking back at my own experience, teachers never touched on the listening aspect of tones, but always just dived right into how to create the tones yourself.

Personally, it wasn't until I really focused on hearing the difference that I could start making them myself. A grad student at my college had created software to train the listener to both hear and create, providing visual feedback in the form of graphs of what the tone looked like. My ability to hear the tones became conscious and as a result I was able to begin correcting my own tones.

Did anyone have a teacher that successfully taught how to hear the difference between tones? How was it taught?
    Did you study them as individual characters, in pairings, or in the midst of sentences?
    Did your teacher even teach hearing tones, or only teach speaking? If the latter, at what point could you start hearing the difference in tones and what do you attribute the development to?

I'm currently researching this topic and considering it for a thesis. I'd appreciate any response of any length. It would really help me get a grip on the broad situation as opposed to my individual anecdotal story. So if you're reading this as a forum lurker but never poster, login!
Working...
X