Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two Blu-rays which lead to disc thrashing

Hi Folks,
    Increasingly, I am noticing that DVDFab Media Player is having a difficult time loading Blu-ray discs and have two recent examples to offer:

1. "Terminator Genisys": rented from Redbox, it would sometimes load in DVDFab MP2 after much thrashing, but the best result was MP2 pegging itself at the end of playable time, requiring a forceful program close to exit and try again.

2. "Yojimbo" the disc merely thrashes, with a seemingly endless cycle of hanging the MP2 interface, eventually releasing it, etc.

It seemed that no amount of choosing "Simple" menus or "Software" decoding or similarly obvious options could get around these issues, though some of them made initial loading impossible.

Then, I looked in the win_player.log file and noticed references to creating a 3D device (with success) and turned off that feature in the Settings. For "Yojimbo" that worked! But, it had started in Simple Mode, which forced a playback with Commentary, so getting around that took switching to Menu Mode after playback began - changing to default of Menu Mode led to it reloading the disc and hanging. But, if I restarted MP2 with Menu Mode as default setting, that did work (some times). The other disc still had problems playing at all, though. It appears things stay in memory during a MP2 playing session which can come back to impact the session.

The free leawo player worked fine in both cases, so these issues did not appear due to the hardware, system or disc. And, leawo loaded the disc faster than MP2, on the scale of minutes.

I do like the MP2 application, but it seems that it could use more work to helpfully self-diagnose when disc loading or playback issues arise at a high level - it really shouldn't sit and grind away indefinitely, for example.

- wader
    Last edited by wader; 03-06-2016, 04:20 AM.
Working...
X