X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audio progressively late

Using DVDFab8

I have just converted an *.mpg (previously *.ts extension changed to suit WMP12 as DNLA/UPnP AV Client) MPEG-2 file to xbox format (*.wmv using the default wmv9 setting).

In the playback of the new file the audio gets progressively more and more behind the video the further through the file you get. Near the end it is about 3s+ behind.

I was working on the laptop while the conversion was running, but low usage. I am not familiar with audio/video encoding but I asumed that the digital encoding would include timings with the data, that a client/player would buffer the digital data and present it to the watcher accordingly. Asuming such a straight forward digital conversion, I would have expected the conversion process to possibly have taken longer, but not to have had any faults.

Having said this, I know nothing about the subject.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Would a 2 pass conversion help? Or not working on the laptop? (but then who knows what processes may kick in).

I have also experienced this same thing quite often with dvdfab7 while converting direct from dvd disk to mp4 (using mobile conversion option) and also while converting the contents of a VIDEO_TS folder copied from a dvd disk.

HELP!!! This newbie

What did you play the file with WMC or WMP? Try VLC player http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ or MPC http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/ to see if you get the audio sync issue

Comment

I tried the file on this occasion on WMP12 via the file server and via the media server and direct off the local hard disk, VLC 1.0.1 in the same way and XBox 360 S (Aug 2010) connected to the media server.

The previous fairly frequent occasions described above I tried only with WMP12 and with VLC as described.

### ADDED ###
      Now tried to on WMC (WMC About->Software Version-> "Windows 7 Version 6.1.7 with WMC Technologies copyrite 2009"), same problem.
      Last edited by hardya; 11-27-2010, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Any one had any thoughts on this at all.

I have been doing some investigation and I have read that if the convertter somehow thinks that it is converting a program stream and it is really convering a transport stream then video synch adjustment frames can be ignored and the audio can get behind.

I read something about this confusion sometimes arising from what the software thinks the container is. Siome people had fund different behaviour with some converters with the same file set to different extensions, eg *.ts, *.mpg, *...

Just a thought I shall expoeriement with these changes and include each test conversion with activity on the laptop and without activity on the laptop to try and rule somethings out.

I've managed to get no further advice about this, so any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Hi, hardya
          Pleast post internal log, we need more info.
          Link to:C:\Users\username\Documents\DVDFab\Log
          Thanks.

Comment

Internal Log attached
            Attached Files

Comment

Any thoughts yet any one?

Comment

Here are a number of other threads (and YES I can dig out MORE) which also contain quite a bit of details in regards to the audio sync problems and known "problem" dvds:

I would like to see a resolution to the sync issues - won't bother renewing my license until they are resolved...

Comment

Understandable, considering this has been ongoing for at least 18 months....
                  "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I have been silent on this for months now and was getting ready to pose the usual question as to whether it's been fixed yet or not but clearly it's still an issue for WMV files. Perhaps the name of the product should be changed to BluRayFab since all the development seems to hover around that. Sure would be nice to get some resolution to the problem after 18th months, probably 100's of posts and examples and issues thrown out here on the forums. Certainly enough that the developers should have been able to fix it by now if they would put some energy against it. Nearly a year ago we were told to hold tight because a new "engine" was on the way. That didn't do anything to fix the problem and it seems little has been done since then. I'd be satisfied if the developers would say, "we are no longer going to support WMV file conversions". At least then I could stop looking for a light at the end of the tunnel. But... on every new release I download the new version, install it and attempt to convert a DVD into a WMV file... only to find the same issue with the audio getting more and more out of sync as you make your way through the movie.

Are there any users out here that are successfully making conversions to WMV +WMA10 5.1 files? If so can you share your profiles here?

Finally, I have raised this issue months ago but it's still NOT fixed. The volume slider in the preview window does not work properly. When selected and slid to reduce volume, volume is reduced until you let go of the slider at which point volume returns to the maximum even though the slider stays at the 1/4 or 1/2 point. Is this that difficult to fix as well?

Comment

Yeah... I think I've given up... Half of the problem is the xbox 360's minimal support of of modern codecs or codecs which have 5.1 audio support other than wmv and divx...

Wmv does look and sound really good, and yes I've tried lots of other profiles and was not impressed...

So as much as I like it as a media center extender and it's easy enough for my wife to use, I think I'm going to get a WD TV live plus and use a different product for conversions to h264 and aac audio...

Again, dvdfab thanks for 18+ months of absolutely nothing...

Comment

Got this email from Fab today...

"Thanks for being with DVDFab all the time. Your continual support and trust are very important for us to keep moving on. We have our full enthusiasm to work hard every day so as to provide happy user experience to all our dear customers like you. You will never regret about any purchase you've ever made, since our products are better than before each day, and you can easily get your DVDFab products updated for free. Plus that, worry-free after-sale service is totally ensured. You can contact our Service Team and get help immediately if you have any questions or using problems on our products. Back boned by ceaseless cutting-edge technologies and professional developing and service staff, you can feel assured to enjoy your life with DVDFab!..."

and on and on and on. Generally all about Blu-ray. Nothing about fixing the WMV issue we have listed here for over 18 months. Who do we turn to for help? I'll ask the mods/admins for their opinion about what we as users can do to escalate the issue to drive some level of satisfaction. To date there has been little. Anyone?

Comment

I think you are kidding yourself if you think this will ever get fixed.

I have agreed with you on many points regarding Fab's unpesponsiveness that you have posted previously but I would like you to think about the following:-

1. I am pretty sure that the encoding engine for WMV is from Micro$oft and we all know how responsive they are and whether they really give a SH1T.
                          2. The standard that you are trying to encode to has been adopted by you and 3 others in the world hence the lack of interest by any developers.
                          3. The accepted standard for anyone that wishes to optimise digital media playback has been an AVI, XVid with the file containing the original Dolby or DTS track although MKV, H264 containing multiple original audio tracks and other feature is fast gaining sway.
                          4. To play these files on HD TV's, the cost of a decent media player box is less than minimal (>$100). I have not included storage costs as this is required in ANY scenario).
                          5. I regard the ability to play media on Game Consoles and even the new generation of TV's as marketing media hype. They are NEVER as good as a dedicated piece of equipment.
                          5. You have wasted far more than $100 of your time chasing down your "Holy Grail"

Please feel free to comment and I am only too willing to elaborate on my points.

Best Regards
                          Greg
                          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Working...
                          X