Convert without re-encoding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Convert without re-encoding

I've been checking the forums, but can't find a definite answer. My goal is to convert a MKV/x264 file to an AVI/x264 or MP4/x264. I dont' want to re-encode, change bitrate, audio or anything else. I just need to change to a different container and leave the actual video untouched. From what I can tell, DVFAB requires you to set bitrate, file size, etc, and forces a re-encode. Am I missing something, or is this not currently possible? There are free utilities that can do this so I have a way to do it, but it would be a nice feature to have in DVDFAB.

Thanks in advance!

Hi pedro1996,

Please upgrade to the latest version of DVDFab 8.0.6.7 at http://www.dvdfab.com/download.htm

If you want to convert MKV/x264 file to an AVI/x264 or MP4/x264, after add source mkv file, click on "Edit" button to open "Conversion settings", then you can manually set all the framerate, bitrate as "Same as source" before you start the conversion process.

You can also set framerate and audio channel as "Same as source" in Common Settings/Convert ahead.

This would save you much time and change to a different container without re-encoding too much.

Sincerely,
    Sunny
    ________
    LESBIAN MASTURBATION
    Last edited by sunny; 04-21-2011, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your reply Sunny. I updated to the newest version. I can set the audio and framerate to "same as source," but unfortunately I'm still unable to set the bitrate to "Same as source" The only options I have are 'Encoding method' (1-pass or 2-pass) and Fixed bitrate or fixed file size (requires a specific number). I tried to set to a similar number as the source bitrate, but it estimates 6-7 hours for the encoding process, so it's definitely re-encoding the whole file. I tried several different AVI/MP4 profiles. I made sure to choose a profile that was set up for h.264. The only profiles I could find that allowed the video to be untouched were the VOB passthrough and the MKV remux profile. They both allow me to select "Passthrough" for encoding method. Unfortunately these require you to keep the same file type and don't allow you to change containers. Any suggestions? Am I just not seeing the setting?

Thanks!

Comment

Does anyone know the answer to this? It seems like it would be a pretty common request. Many file containers (avi, mp4, mkv, etc.) can use h.264 compression so it doesn't make sense to re-encode in h.264 when the file is already h.264. Quality is lost, and it takes a VERY long time.

Comment

Yeah...

The answer is NO!!!!
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Thank you!!! I suppose this should be a feature request then...

Comment

Working...
            X