AMD H265 Encoding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AMD H265 Encoding?

Just swapped out my 1080Ti for a Sapphire 6900xt toxic edition. And loaded up latest dvdfab, all encoding/decoding is set to AMD APP. Ran a test bluray encode... 12fps and windows shows that only my 16 core 5950x cpu being used for encoding. GPU isn't touched at all.

So my question, why has no one solved amd h265 encoding yet?

From dev:
    Keep Nvidia 1080ti and AMD 6900xt, use Nvidia for hevc 10bit encode. For now, AMD doe not support hevc 10bit encode, only hevc 8bit encode.

The Advanced Media Framework (AMF) SDK provides developers with optimal access to AMD devices for multimedia processing - GPUOpen-LibrariesAndSDKs/AMF

Comment

well you let me know how to even do 8bit encode then. cause I didn't say i was trying 10bit encodes. as regular bluray movies are only ever in 8bit.

Comment

Just so anyone reading this thread is clear. You have to change number of passes to 1 for amd vce H265 encoding. 2 pass won't work. I've been using 2 pass nvenc encoding for years with my 1080ti card. why the hell is this not mentioned anywhere? Had to find this out by tinkering in the video settings.

And this next rant isn't your fault dvdfab guys. but seriously? no 10bit encoding support? even in your flagship 6900xt? WTF?!?!? i need to seriously off load this 6900xt and get a rtx 3090

Comment

Ended up selling the 6900xt and purchased an Nvidia RTX3090 FE today, walked into bestbuy and was in stock for MSRP, $1,500. So with dvdfab, here we go.

1080p regular bluray

H265 2 pass
          High quality
          sound is copied
          enable lightning-recoding and enable lightning-shrink
          b frames enabled
          automatic crop disabled

encoding fps: 410-420fps

I'll do a uhd disc shortly

Comment

Working...
          X