Hulu Videos lag/are Jittery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hulu Videos lag/are Jittery

I updated to the newest release and downloaded season 2 of Love, Victor. I noticed that during playback, there is some lag, and the video is slightly jittery (i.e., it's not smooth). This was for all episodes I downloaded. Not sure if the logs will help, but I'm attaching them just in case.

Also, like others have noticed, it did seem like parsing took a rather long time.
    Attached Files

While I'm not able to reproduce this, I'm betting that older generation PC's aren't going to be able to keep up , given the additional time and power required post processing since 4.0.0.2 was introduced

Comment

Originally posted by twhiting9275 View Post
      While I'm not able to reproduce this, I'm betting that older generation PC's aren't going to be able to keep up , given the additional time and power required post processing since 4.0.0.2 was introduced
      I don't think the age of my gaming PC is an issue. The lag is similar to that described in another thread. It looks similar to a framerate issue and only appears to affect the newer Hulu content (as of three-four weeks ago). "Older" Hulu content downloads without issue. I tested by downloading an episode from Season 1 of Love, Victor, and there was no problem. Plus this problem doesn't appear in any HBOMax, Disney+, or Netflix downloads.
      Last edited by fosse76; 06-28-2021, 04:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fosse76 View Post
        I updated to the newest release and downloaded season 2 of Love, Victor. I noticed that during playback, there is some lag, and the video is slightly jittery (i.e., it's not smooth). This was for all episodes I downloaded. Not sure if the logs will help, but I'm attaching them just in case.

Also, like others have noticed, it did seem like parsing took a rather long time.
        We will check. Thanks.

Comment

I wanted to follow up that this issue appears to affect all newly loaded content to Hulu, starting from about 5 weeks ago. Sometimes the jitter is subtle, but in most downloads it's pretty obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by twhiting9275 View Post
            Hi. An older CPU or Motherboard isn't going to be the problem for processing. The only thing an older system would be is lower. If the parameters have changed or some corruption in downloading happens then that would be the problem. Or some setting had changed. As long as the older system is on, and running and functioning correctly..it would just require more time.

@ fosse76

As for jitters, I have downloaded the new episodes of "The Secret of Skinwalker Ranch" from Hulu and I don't see any jitter. I'm pretty sensitive to that. The Subtitles are a little off in their timing but it's also that way when you watch normal from Hulu. I'm not downloading a lot of new content from Hulu. I'd check what you downloaded, but I cannot seem to find the name of the show.

Comment

I have an older cpu from 2011, netflix was giving me the same problem until dvdfab updated it before renaming to streamfab. So this has nothing to do with older cpus, as long as you keep your hardware up-to-date you shouldn't have problems. Be patient for an update on dvdfabs end.

Comment

Anyone else having problems downloading on HBO Max in Brazil? I have subscription but downloads still fail with the following message: Failed to parse this video. Please make sure you can access and play the content. This happens with all original HBO content.

Comment

Originally posted by SirRush View Post

Hi. An older CPU or Motherboard isn't going to be the problem for processing. The only thing an older system would be is lower. If the parameters have changed or some corruption in downloading happens then that would be the problem. Or some setting had changed. As long as the older system is on, and running and functioning correctly..it would just require more time.

@ fosse76

As for jitters, I have downloaded the new episodes of "The Secret of Skinwalker Ranch" from Hulu and I don't see any jitter. I'm pretty sensitive to that. The Subtitles are a little off in their timing but it's also that way when you watch normal from Hulu. I'm not downloading a lot of new content from Hulu. I'd check what you downloaded, but I cannot seem to find the name of the show.
                  Strange that you can't find Love, Victor. The same issue arises with the new episodes of Top Chef and Below Deck Mediterranean. Those are the only other shows I've downloaded. But I noticed that older content (content on Hulu prior to the DRM update) doesn't have the same issue. I downloaded the last available episode of "The Secret of Skinwalker Ranch" and noticed the jitter. It's much more subtle because of the filming style, (I noticed this with Below Deck Mediterranean as well). It's most noticeable during the moments where the camera is moving.

Comment

Originally posted by AceDaMack View Post
                    I have an older cpu from 2011, netflix was giving me the same problem until dvdfab updated it before renaming to streamfab. So this has nothing to do with older cpus, as long as you keep your hardware up-to-date you shouldn't have problems. Be patient for an update on dvdfabs end.
                    I figured as much. I just wanted to clarify that it was happening, to me anyway, on all new content added since the DRM update and not on older content. As well as try to discount that it was my computer, which although is not new, is certainly not ancient and works very well with most other downloads (better than a newer one I bought for work purposes).

Comment

Originally posted by AceDaMack View Post
                      CPU doesn't matter, so you meant software up-to-date. Which goes back to what I replied about. If the software functions with the hardware, it'll be slow but it'll work. It doesn't matter what kind of computer CPU.

Originally posted by fosse76 View Post

Strange that you can't find Love, Victor. The same issue arises with the new episodes of Top Chef and Below Deck Mediterranean. Those are the only other shows I've downloaded. But I noticed that older content (content on Hulu prior to the DRM update) doesn't have the same issue. I downloaded the last available episode of "The Secret of Skinwalker Ranch" and noticed the jitter. It's much more subtle because of the filming style, (I noticed this with Below Deck Mediterranean as well). It's most noticeable during the moments where the camera is moving.
                      I meant I wasn't sure by the Log what you were attempting to download. I've not heard of "Love, Victor"...I thought that was some episode name of some show. Same problem with episodes of "Top Chef"...okay, that I can check for. I don't watch that show, but I can at least find it.

Top Chef and Below Deck Mediterranean..more specific? Which episodes? I'm not going to go checking a lot of dates and times. I've watched my "Skinwalker Ranch" episodes several times, because I'm really into the subject, and I haven't noticed anything outside the 23.976 rage. My family is very used to me saying, "Their aspect ratio is off!" or "Man, I dislike cable because they interlace video..and not all hardware catches it correctly." As well as other comments.

What are you using to playback videos? I use MPC-HC x64. To me, it's the best player so far..and I wish the development wasn't so slim now. I also don't have ANY codec packages installed except LAVFilters. I'm also using Windows 7 Ultimate because 10 has a horrible User Interface. I suggest checking and removing any Codec packages you have though "ffdshow" is still pretty good.
                      Last edited by SirRush; 07-05-2021, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SirRush View Post

CPU doesn't matter, so you meant software up-to-date. Which goes back to what I replied about. If the software functions with the hardware, it'll be slow but it'll work. It doesn't matter what kind of computer CPU.
                        Thanks. Yea software up-to-date.

Comment

Update: I download "Top Chef_S18E14_The Next Top Chef Is ___" and there are video edits where the frame rate SEEMS to change, but it's all part of post-production effects. Which I've seen many times. Some movies use these same visual effects. It can "make" the video seem screwy. If there are corruptions in the downloaded video, you'll get out-of-sync frames and the audio will be off-step. Check for that in your videos. If audio is out of sync, there's a problem and it's not too hard to spot.

Comment

I'm not sure why people are confused by this. Older Hulu episode downloads are just being decrypted, newer Hulu episode downloads since the DRM change on June 1 are being re-encoded during the parsing phase which is why it takes so much longer and why the frame rate is stuttering. For me personally, the frame rate stutter is so bad I can't even attempt to watch the resulting files. If you are somehow not affected by the stutter, great, but I'm not sure why people are trying so hard to come up with alternate explanations or dismissing it as the way the episodes were updated when there's been like half a dozen threads about the same issue in the last week or so.

Comment

Originally posted by tdfrgsn View Post
                              I'm not sure why people are confused by this. Older Hulu episode downloads are just being decrypted, newer Hulu episode downloads since the DRM change on June 1 are being re-encoded during the parsing phase which is why it takes so much longer and why the frame rate is stuttering. For me personally, the frame rate stutter is so bad I can't even attempt to watch the resulting files. If you are somehow not affected by the stutter, great, but I'm not sure why people are trying so hard to come up with alternate explanations or dismissing it as the way the episodes were updated when there's been like half a dozen threads about the same issue in the last week or so.
                              I'm sure this is what is the cause of my experience. It's very obvious that it stutters. As I said, reality shows like Top Chef and Below Deck Mediterranean are less noticeable due to the frantic nature of the camera movements, but I notice it immediately. Love, Victor was much more noticeable. I do hope it is fixable.

Comment

Working...
                              X