Roku module downloading really slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roku module downloading really slow

Is anyone else experiencing really slow download speeds using the roku module? It's been averaging anywhere between 80kb-700kb. It's much faster to watch the show v.s. downloading it. It's happening on all computers with or without the VPN.
    Last edited by corey75; 07-16-2022, 06:42 AM.

I can't really say I saw that. I picked 3 videos at random from Roku, a half hour show, a hour show, and a 1:45 hour movie. The half hour show and the movie were pretty consistent at around 4.25 MB/s for video and 145 KB/s for audio. The hour show was lower at 3.40 MB/s for video and 110 KB/s for audio. Roku has always had lower throughput for me (but not as bad as what you are getting now) as I usually get around 20-30 MB/s video with most other streaming sites with my 300 Mb/s cable service.
    My suggestion to you is to run a Ping or Traceroot to check for drops or bad latency. You'll probably have to dig through your StreamFab log to find out the true address of the Roku server that you need to Ping or trace. Reboot your computer, modem, router and any switch you might have. Connect wired, no Wi-Fi. Check all the usual stuff like virus protection and firewall. Worse comes to worst, call your Internet provider and have them run a line check from their office.

Comment

Originally posted by corey75 View Post
      Is anyone else experiencing really slow download speeds using the roku module? It's been averaging anywhere between 80kb-700kb. It's much faster to watch the show v.s. downloading it. It's happening on all computers with or without the VPN.
      Roku is *extremely* slow for me too.

It's not a computer/internet issues since Amazon Prime/It's channels/Discovery+, HBOMax, Disney, Netflix all are running ok.

Don't know if it's Roku, it's internet servers/distribution or StreamFab needs tweaking for speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_M View Post

It's not a computer/internet issues since Amazon Prime/It's channels/Discovery+, HBOMax, Disney, Netflix all are running ok.

Don't know if it's Roku, it's internet servers/distribution or StreamFab needs tweaking for speed.
        try reinstalling streamfab using the offline installer, and then retry the roku channel, for me, speeds
        on Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon season1 episode 1 went from 1.18 MB/s to 106.41 KB/s towards the end of the download.

Comment

Originally posted by october262 View Post

try reinstalling streamfab using the offline installer, and then retry the roku channel, for me, speeds
          on Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon season1 episode 1 went from 1.18 MB/s to 106.41 KB/s towards the end of the download.
          Roku downloader has always been slow. I always use the offline installer, but what would re-installing it do to help it? You seem to be having the same issue all the way down to 106.41kb and Mike_M has the same issue the I have. Cats4u seems to be reporting a slower one too (but not as slow as us).

Originally posted by Cats4U View Post
          I can't really say I saw that. I picked 3 videos at random from Roku, a half hour show, a hour show, and a 1:45 hour movie. The half hour show and the movie were pretty consistent at around 4.25 MB/s for video and 145 KB/s for audio. The hour show was lower at 3.40 MB/s for video and 110 KB/s for audio. Roku has always had lower throughput for me (but not as bad as what you are getting now) as I usually get around 20-30 MB/s video with most other streaming sites with my 300 Mb/s cable service.
          My suggestion to you is to run a Ping or Traceroot to check for drops or bad latency. You'll probably have to dig through your StreamFab log to find out the true address of the Roku server that you need to Ping or trace. Reboot your computer, modem, router and any switch you might have. Connect wired, no Wi-Fi. Check all the usual stuff like virus protection and firewall. Worse comes to worst, call your Internet provider and have them run a line check from their office.
          The problem is with the downloading. It takes twice as long to download as it does just to watch the show. I might dig for an address to ping as a last resort but I really don't think that's the issue. I believe it's somewhere inside the streamfab program itself that's not allowing it to utilize full speed that they send out at roku. IDK, just for giggles I might try a ping from my office, home, and google VM just to compare the differences.

Also note that it's not an internet provider issue. I have two different providers between my office and home which I've tried downloading from roku with streamfab.

Comment

You seem to be having the same issue all the way down to 106.41kb and Mike_M has the same issue the I have.
            October didn.t write 106.41kb, he wrote 106.41 KB/s. Big difference. Besides, when he wrote "went from 1.18 MB/s to 106.41 KB/s towards the end of the download", it was probably downloading video initially followed by audio. Perfectly normal.

Mike_M has the same issue the I have
            Do we know that for sure? At least he is open to the possibility that it could be caused by any number of things. You, as usual, blame StreamFab without a shred of evidence.

Cats4u seems to be reporting a slower one too (but not as slow as us)
            No, I'm not. I am reporting what has always been normal for when I do a Roku download. I think I explained that pretty clearly in my post but you chose to key in my writing "but not as bad as what you are getting now" to mean something other than what I meant.

As for the rest of your message... I had spent many years as a cable modem tech dealing with dozens of issues like this per day. I gave you good advice. You'd be best if you took it.

Comment

Originally posted by october262 View Post

Hi October262,

I have only installed via the offline installer for a while now.

(I do the same with DVDFab since I don't trust StreamFab in-program updater to not cause problems)

Haven't done the in-program updates in a while due to problems I've had, others have had and Mona saying to try it as part of testing when odd problems are encountered.

Comment

Originally posted by Cats4U View Post
                October didn.t write 106.41kb, he wrote 106.41 KB/s. Big difference. Besides, when he wrote "went from 1.18 MB/s to 106.41 KB/s towards the end of the download", it was probably downloading video initially followed by audio. Perfectly normal.

Do we know that for sure? At least he is open to the possibility that it could be caused by any number of things. You, as usual, blame StreamFab without a shred of evidence.

No, I'm not. I am reporting what has always been normal for when I do a Roku download. I think I explained that pretty clearly in my post but you chose to key in my writing "but not as bad as what you are getting now" to mean something other than what I meant.

As for the rest of your message... I had spent many years as a cable modem tech dealing with dozens of issues like this per day. I gave you good advice. You'd be best if you took it.

kb/s kb... you know exactly what I meant. You're looking for a reason to downplay my comment. Am I really blaming streamfab or are you just getting in your feelings being emotional about my reporting issues? Thank you for your response, but I'll be just fine without it. Your alleged experience has nothing to do with me and you have no idea about my background. Those "many years as a cable tech" have come a long way and are of the past. Things have come a long way in internet and networking. I know this because I do it. I'd suggest you stop assuming that all I do is complain on here. I am sorry you don't feel that a support forum is the proper place to report problems. You and I clearly don't agree, so I suggest you just keep it moving and leave me out of your responses as I will do the same with you. It might "be best". Good luck with your streamfab experience.

Comment

Agreed. I was getting tired, anyway, trying to recreate your endless problems and never succeeding.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_M View Post

Have you checked your roku speeds today Mike? My speed has increased from under 1m to averaging about 3.5 - 4m today. These are what I used to see back when the roku module was first available. It appears streamfab may have made a change in something.

Comment

Working...
                    X