No announcement yet.

Google is deprecating the Widevine CDM for Chrome and Chromium-based browsers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google is deprecating the Widevine CDM for Chrome and Chromium-based browsers

Google is deprecating the Widevine CDM for Chrome and Chromium-based browsers on December 6th. StreamFab uses CEF (Chromium Embedded Framework) which is a Chromium-based browser. Effect on StreamFab unknown, perhaps nothing, perhaps something. Comment from member of StreamFab staff would be welcomed.

Article: https://www.xda-developers.com/googl...-for-chromium/

I'm starting to have a real bad feeling about this Widevine thing. What is setting me off is that on the competitor's site, AngryFox 0, the head honcho, reprimanded a user there that brought up the topic and told him not to post it publicly and to only PM it. Then, of course, the thread was locked. Looks like they want to pretend all is well until all hell breaks loose on Dec. 6th.

The user there did list another news article that didn't have much more to it than what I posted here -
    https://bitmovin.com/google-deprecat...evine-drm-cdm/

Comment

Cats4U I saw that too. Not sure why the hash response other than that is the normal "tone" for that person. Angry is an apt description of that person, unless you praise them and their products, or are disparaging their competition (I. E. Fab)

That being said, I don't know when the devs here (or there) will see the update to start working on cracking it. Like any DRM change, I just cross my fingers and hope they can crack it.. with any luck they won't have much of a gap from when the new DRM begins and when the new crack is found, but I'm not confident.
      Last edited by KidJoe; 10-23-2022, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KidJoe View Post
        Cats4U

1. I saw that too.

2. Not sure why the hash response other than that is the normal "tone" for that person. Angry is an apt description of that person, unless you praise them and their products, or are disparaging their competition (I. E. Fab)

3. That being said, I don't know when the devs here (or there) will see the update to start working on cracking it. Like any DRM change, I just cross my fingers and hope they can crack it.. with any luck they won't have much of a gap from when the new DRM begins and when the new crack is found, but I'm not confident.
        Kidjoe,

1. Same here, saw it there first and was also concerned when he said to send it via PM, like it was something that shouldn't be mentioned.

2. It's also like that forum is more of a ticketing/problem system with the primary purpose to "close the ticket" which is not conducive to open discussions.

Another interesting aspect is he frequently says to post a new ticket/topic? even if you think it's the same issue/problem as someone else's post and here it seems the opposite is true, you want to post under the same topic and not open up multiple topics with the same issue.

3. I don't have much hope in preparation and proactiveness, not knowing what can be done and how much is known. Reactive seems to be the mode most of the time.

Would have more faith if HBO 720p DRM issue could be figured out more timely, but "kindly waiting" /s.

Mike
        Last edited by Mike_M; 10-23-2022, 07:40 PM.

Comment

I don't mean to be slow but has this HBO been figured out ? I still cant use it here, its always 720p, what do you mean it had been figured out more timely, has it been figured out, am I the only one still getting 720p, and who the heck is the person we are talking about I am really mixed up here. If someone could be so kind as to explain. How do you send in a ticket, I am lost.
          Programmer in Python,Java,JavaScript,Swift,PHP,SQL,C#,C++,Go,R

Comment

Cats4U I saw that too. Not sure why the hash response other than that is the normal "tone" for that person. Angry is an apt description of that person, unless you praise them and their products, or are disparaging their competition (I. E. Fab)
            He is probably the main reason why I do not want to purchase the competitor. I just get a sleazy feeling about their operation. I also know that if I were to purchase it and went on their forum I would soon be kicked off and perhaps have my license revoked due to me telling him where to go or worse. I also don't like the fact that they can't take US credit cards. Knowing their past history I don't feel safe just handing over money to them without the protection a credit card affords you.
            I will say, though, in their defense, I think their developers are better and are much more organized and seem to go to extra lengths to make sure that their fixes work and do not cause any additional problems.

That being said, I don't know when the devs here (or there) will see the update to start working on cracking it. Like any DRM change, I just cross my fingers and hope they can crack it.. with any luck they won't have much of a gap from when the new DRM begins and when the new crack is found, but I'm not confident.
            If I'm reading the articles correctly it appears that it will be released to other browsers (hopefully that includes CEF) on November 15th which gives them roughly 3 weeks to work on it before the old Widevine disappears.

Comment

Originally posted by Chameleon View Post
              I don't mean to be slow but has this HBO been figured out ? I still cant use it here, its always 720p, what do you mean it had been figured out more timely, has it been figured out, am I the only one still getting 720p, and who the heck is the person we are talking about I am really mixed up here. If someone could be so kind as to explain. How do you send in a ticket, I am lost.
              Chameleon,

I shouldn't have used "had" in above post, changed to "could be figured out", but also had "kindly waiting" to reflect that it was still being worked on.

Last word form Mona, I believe, HBO 1080p "shortly".

Mike
              Last edited by Mike_M; 10-23-2022, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Angry Fox, that is a good one...LMAO...no doubt dude is very brash, and a bone but correct that is the normal tone for that Mod which by all means is not necessary for innocent inquiries if you do not know what an off subject is.

So, as implied by Cats4U this might be the kill switch, it won't be for everything for StreamFab but for them it would be. If it happens the saying is 'all good things comes to an end', there will always be the next best thing available. Have faith that all is good, might not be as good as standing but things never are if you don't have an open mind to change.
                Last edited by Down2Earth; 10-23-2022, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cats4U View Post

1. I also don't like the fact that they can't take US credit cards. Knowing their past history I don't feel safe just handing over money to them without the protection a credit card affords you.

2. I will say, though, in their defense, I think their developers are better and are much more organized and seem to go to extra lengths to make sure that their fixes work and do not cause any additional problems.

3. If I'm reading the articles correctly it appears that it will be released to other browsers (hopefully that includes CEF) on November 15th which gives them roughly 3 weeks to work on it before the old Widevine disappears.
                  (Above quote edited by Mike for responses )

Cats4U,

Good points!

1. When I bought their product, I used a Credit Card, I just went to their purchase site and Visa/MC is still available and at 20% discount until 11/13/22 - in addition to Bitcoin.

2. Agreed

3. Based on past experiences, not confident that the focus and planning is/will be there to take advantage of that window.

Mike
                  Last edited by Mike_M; 10-23-2022, 08:27 PM.

Comment

They take PayPal...........

Comment

Originally posted by fussybob View Post
                      They take PayPal...........
                      Who takes Paypal, I am lost as heck in this thread, I must be not part of this click because I am lost in conversations, English is not my first language but I studied in the USA, and I actually thought I could converse intelligently but I am still not good enough, I don't understand what anyone is talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_M View Post

Chameleon,

I shouldn't have used "had" in above post, changed to "could be figured out", but also had "kindly waiting" to reflect that it was still being worked on.

Last word form Mona, I believe, HBO 1080p "shortly".

Mike
                        Thanks Mike, Now I understand that point on HBO. But they have been saying soon for a very long time, I cant say how long but it seems to be long to me, I have been using 720p and its actually not that bad. The rest of this thread I am lost in, I wish the Chinese forum was more busy.

Comment

Originally posted by Chameleon View Post
                          Today I can't dl anything from HBO Max???

Comment

Originally posted by barfci View Post

Today I can't dl anything from HBO Max???
                            I have issues also program crash, I send in log file. This is very strange thread I don't understand most of it but Mike_M seems to know a lot maybe he can help.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_M View Post
                              1. When I bought their product, I used a Credit Card, I just went to their purchase site and Visa/MC is still available and at 20% discount until 11/13/22 - in addition to Bitcoin.
                              Looks like they finally found someone to be a payment provider late yesterday and just in time. They've got to get those CC payments in before all hell breaks loose on Dec. 6th. Their policy is twenty-one days free trial and then no refund. What is twenty-one days from today? 11/13/22. Like I said before, they seem to make a decent product based on comments here on this forum but I just sense an air of sleaziness about them. I don't trust them. I get the same feeling from the folks at PlayOn.

Mike, I'm an old fart, I don't do Bitcoin.
                              Last edited by Cats4U; 10-23-2022, 11:28 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                              X