To StreamFab Moderators..... Impact of StreamFab 6 on StreamFab 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To StreamFab Moderators..... Impact of StreamFab 6 on StreamFab 5

I see that there is a new version of StreamFab available..... and it is being referenced to as StreamFab 6.....

To refresh your memory..... or for the benefit of those who may not have seen this..... here's what I'm seeing in the Changelog.....

"StreamFab 6.0.0.0 Changelog
    New: Introducing the All-New StreamFab 6. All existing users of previous versions can upgrade to this latest version for free.
    - Introduced the brand-new download engine to speed up the video analysis and download.
    - DRM MPD Downloader now can download 1080p videos.
    - Introduced the Discover feature to find the popular movies and TV shows on each streaming service.
    - Introduced the Auto-Login feature to automatically log in to the streaming service in StreamFab if you have already logged in in Edge, Chrome, or Firefox. (already works with YouTube, others will be supported later.)
    - Introduced the cross-platform Aggregated Search Engine (coming soon) to search the availability of specific movies and TV shows.
    - Introduced the Dark skin for DVDFab 365 users."

I have not yet updated..... and before doing so..... would like some clarification.....

In the past..... when DVDFab transitioned from 11 to 12..... the update installed DVDFab 12 as a new separate software package..... in other words..... DVDFab 11 was left untouched leaving the choice to delete or not up to the individual User.....

Of course..... this resulted in the benefit of having the option of running DVDFab 11 should the need arise for one reason or another without having to go through any "uninstall/reinstall/uninstall/reinstall" process from 12 to 11 and then back to 12..... In fact..... I personally still have DVDFab 11 on one of my laptops.....

With the myriad of problems which currently exist with HBOMAX..... PLUTO..... CRACKLE..... PARAMOUNT+..... PEACOCK..... and ROKU..... StreamFab Users are now being asked to have a "leap of faith" and update to an "All-New StreamFab 6"..... with "the brand-new download engine"..... "the Discover feature"..... "the Auto-Login feature"..... and "the cross-platform Aggregated Search Engine"..... when the current advertised features within StreamFab 5 haven't been fully operational for longer than one would reasonably expect.....

So here's what I'm asking be clarified..... and would also appreciate that the answers for be simple and direct.....

(1) Will StreamFab 6 be treated as a new software package and install leaving the current StreamFab 5 module untouched on a User's system..... or..... will the installation of StreamFab 6 delete StreamFab 5?.....

(2) Regarding the new features mentioned in the Changelog..... specifically..... "the Discover feature"..... "the Auto-Login feature"..... and "the cross-platform Aggregated Search Engine"..... are these optional features which can be turned "on" or "off" within "Settings"..... or will they be hard coded and consequently force fed within the new StreamFab 6?.....

In closing..... while I am genuinely interested in anyones' thoughts on what I've said..... please keep in mind..... my purpose for this post is to get input from StreamFab personnel on the operation of their new software.....

Thank you.
    Last edited by weavermovies; 10-28-2022, 03:48 PM.

​"Just because you can..... doesn't mean you should!"

"The only thing worse than the devil that you know..... is the devil that you don't!"

I am not a moderator, but going to 6 simply overwrote 5.x, and it looks virtually identical out of the box as it does not overwrite previous settings. So far, I did have to log back in to Amazon and it did not appear to capture that from Firefox. I have not tried Peacock yet but I want to assume that is what that update was aimed at. It appears safe to install the update without losing anything or any radical changes in behavior.
    Last edited by MrGrackle; 10-28-2022, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Same here, it upgrades 5 to 6. All good so far, just had to give it admin rights for it to run. (in closing)

Comment

Originally posted by MrKrawk View Post
        I am not a moderator, but going to 6 simply overwrote 5.x, and it looks virtually identical out of the box as it does not overwrite previous settings. So far, I did have to log back in to Amazon but that's minor.
        No problem with you not being a moderator..... I'm always interested in what others have to say..... My only problem is when what a User has to say oversteps their authority to say it..... and is more for their own personal edification instead of either problem reporting/solving or contributing to the common benefit of all.....

But as far as "looks virtually identical"..... by any chance have you gone into "Settings" and looked within the various sections shown in the left hand column?.....

And if you have..... have you seen any additional settings that would be addressing the new features mentioned in the Changelog..... specifically..... "the Discover feature"..... "the Auto-Login feature"..... and "the cross-platform Aggregated Search Engine".....

I'm hoping that Users will have the choice of turning them "on" or "off".....

In any case..... thanks for the response.

"The only thing worse than the devil that you know..... is the devil that you don't!"

Comment

Originally posted by weavermovies View Post

No problem with you not being a moderator..... I'm always interested in what others have to say..... My only problem is when what a User has to say oversteps their authority to say it..... and is more for their own personal edification instead of either problem reporting/solving or contributing to the common benefit of all.....

But as far as "looks virtually identical"..... by any chance have you gone into "Settings" and looked within the various sections shown in the left hand column?.....

And if you have..... have you seen any additional settings that would be addressing the new features mentioned in the Changelog..... specifically..... "the Discover feature"..... "the Auto-Login feature"..... and "the cross-platform Aggregated Search Engine".....

I'm hoping that Users will have the choice of turning them "on" or "off".....

In any case..... thanks for the response.
          • No new section in settings
          • Discover is not shoved down your throat. You need to go to that section
          • "Auto-login" is only for Youtube for now
          • Aggregated Search Engine is not in there either
          Calling this v5.0.5.9 would have been more accurate IMHO
          How to post issues in the StreamFab Section

Comment

Originally posted by jpp72 View Post
            Calling this v5.0.5.9 would have been more accurate IMHO
            So am I correct in assuming that..... in your opinion..... StreamFab 6 Version 6.0.0.0 could be backed out of in the same manner as any current version of StreamFab 5..... in other words..... just run the desired version of the offline downloader and go from there.

Comment

My experience is, version 6 overwrote version 5. The "new auto login" is something that I've been doing since the last few versions. Once I log in through StreamFab, I stayed logged in. The only issue I had was with Netflix. I had to disable my VPN completely, log in with Firefox then I could log in with StreamFab.

The discover option is just the "what's hottest" for each major streaming service. Kind of a one stop shop to see what's trending.
              All the settings options seem the same, however, I am still having issues with Amazon. StreamFab still only downloads video from Amazon as H.264 when I have it set to H.265.

Here are some screen shots. Hope they help.
              Attached Files

Comment

More:
                Attached Files

Comment

They uploaded out of order for some reason.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jsinfate View Post
                    They uploaded out of order for some reason.
                    Out of order matters not..... It's the effort you've expended to place them there that's appreciated..... Thank you.....

Since you mention it..... I think the "Discover" function..... as well as the "Aggregated Search Engine" are both the same thing formatted differently..... and will attempt to perform the same service as already available through video streaming aggregator web sites.....

It's been my experience that there is no one aggregator site that is so current and so accurate that it can be relied on exclusively..... I use three sites as my sources for where to find videos I'm interested in downloading..... All three sites allow you to specify what services you want to track with each having it's own strengths and weaknesses..... however..... when combined together..... if a video I'm looking for is available to be streamed..... I probably have a better than 80% chance of finding it.....

So in my opinion..... since I'm going to be looking at multiple sources anyway..... I'd rather see StreamFab devote its resources and efforts into downloading videos..... in other words..... providing Users what they have paid for..... but aren't being fully provided..... instead of this constant venturing into new territory which just becomes additions to the list of functions falling into the category of "we need more time to repair".....

Case in point..... StreamFab 6 is released mentioning all these new functions..... when in reality..... most aren't present yet and Users are reporting problems with what is.....

Anyway..... again..... Thank you for the screenshots..... They've cleared up much of my inquiry.
                    Last edited by weavermovies; 10-29-2022, 07:15 PM.

Comment

My pleasure. I have been your situation many times before and some times it's hard to downgrade a program since most companies don't seem to keep an archive of other versions.
                      I found the following screen shot on the site here:
                      StreamFab Video Downloader is the FIRST software to download streaming video from OTT sites such as Netflix, Youtube, Amazon Prime, Max, etc.

The image was located over half way down the page.
                      The only site that you can search using the search bar is YouTube. So I am assuming that once they have the aggregation completed, this is where the results from other streaming sites will appear.

EDIT: The new version says that it can analyze movies in 2-4 seconds but to be honest, I downloaded several Amazon movies totalling 25GB and I did not notice an increase. Same as always.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by jsinfate; 10-29-2022, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jsinfate View Post
                        My experience is, version 6 overwrote version 5. The "new auto login" is something that I've been doing since the last few versions. Once I log in through StreamFab, I stayed logged in. The only issue I had was with Netflix. I had to disable my VPN completely, log in with Firefox then I could log in with StreamFab.

The discover option is just the "what's hottest" for each major streaming service. Kind of a one stop shop to see what's trending.
                        All the settings options seem the same, however, I am still having issues with Amazon. StreamFab still only downloads video from Amazon as H.264 when I have it set to H.265.

Here are some screen shots. Hope they help.
                        Version 6 was the same disaster as 5.0.5.0. was for me - rather than behave as an upgrade that would save my queue and settings, instead it was a complete re-install, even to asking for authorization.

Only when I reported 5.0.5.0. for destroying my previous version (on both of my laptops) did I find out there had been "issues" with the upgrade - but it was rolled out regardless.

Comment

Working...
                        X