HBO Max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HBO Max

What is the current resolution limit on HBO Max downloads? When I add to the queue its at 1080p, but when I'm able to download they are all coming across as 720p. Is HBO Max limiting streaming resolutions now?

Originally posted by rswiders View Post
    What is the current resolution limit on HBO Max downloads? When I add to the queue its at 1080p, but when I'm able to download they are all coming across as 720p. Is HBO Max limiting streaming resolutions now?
    see here - https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/softwa...-here-~updated your supposed to get both 720p & 1080p but 1080p is usually a hit or miss.

Comment

That was last edited 2 months ago. That is why I was asking... Everything I try to download is coming back as 720p when it analyzes as 1080p.

Comment

The hit or miss on 1080, is VERY RARELY hit, probably less than 1 in 20.is 1080p, and then probably only if the movie is over 20 years old. I don't try TV series often. so I can't speak to those, the ones I have tried are mostly current and I haven't found one that was 1080p still. the main competitor doesn't have working 1080 on new releases, but more working than Streamfab. There's another on Android option out there, but the bitrate is atrociously bad, and you have to pay monthly for tokens and one 1080p download takes multiple tokens.. totally not worth it

I've started upscaling some content (primarily Disney+ series) that I can't get elsewhere with ok, not great results. better than 720p not as good as native 1080p, better than the low bitrate re-encoded 1080p you have to pay per download for. The big downside is it takes about 16 hours to upscale an average length movie. My machine is not the best you can get but better than average (i7 running at little over 4.5GHz, 1080ti GTX, and 64 GB of RAM) the GPU is not running at full capacity with the best model option I've found for the videos I've tried, so the 1080 is not the bottleneck. There are other models that run my GPU at 100% of 3D capacity and would take about 4x longer but haven't produced better results in my experience.

My upscaling software is not by DVDFab, as when I tried out upscaling and made my purchase 2 years ago, DVDFab's offering was like a reskinned older version of what I ultimately went with, less options, and not as lower quality. At that time I was re-encoding 1080p videos for smaller size with minimal quality loss. But it has been 2 years, and my use case is entirely different now, SO DVDFab's offering may be as good or better. I haven't tried it in a couple of years.

Ultimately if something is available on Amazon, I suggest you purchase it there and download with the Amazon module, you'll get better quality much faster that re-encoding. If you've got tons of CPU cycles left to burn and don't mind lower quality try the upscaling option.

Comment

Did you guys or gals ever watch the 720p, they are not that bad.
          Programmer in Python,Java,JavaScript,Swift,PHP,SQL,C#,C++,Go,R

Comment

Originally posted by Chameleon View Post
            Did you guys or gals ever watch the 720p, they are not that bad.
            Chameleon,

I'm not as finicky about 720p lately.

I've been converting a lot of 720p videos to 1080p using Topaz AI/Upscaling.

It's amazing what Artificial Intelligence (modeling), adding "grain", enhancing then upscaling can do.

I'm using it on some on some new favorite videos and a few select series - as well as on old archived videos files that were 720p and below.

I had a sub 720p older copy of Cocoon that once I enhanced with Topaz, then upscaled looks nearly Blu Ray quality when played thru the USB port of Roku Ultra (it does hardware upscaling too) into the TV.

It's like a whole new viewing experience and like seeing it for the first time when you see a movie your *really* liked after this is done.

Nice for individual movies, although it takes a two step process (enhance current resolution, then upscale the enhanced copy to 1080p) and takes about 4-5 hours for both steps on either computer.

Since my comfort target for movies is 1080p it's working out for me.

It would probably be a lot harder for those that want higher than 1080p, but really, with the different models to choose from that let you adjust different aspects of the video, adding of noise, adding of grain, etc... I think many +1080p individual movie seekers might be impressed.

Especially since the streaming services are not doing 1080p at it's best (or 720p) lots of times for bandwidth considerations, etc...

Mike

US - CST, No Vpn, StreamFab (latest version), Win 10/64 Pro Win 11/64 Pro, 32Gb, RTX 3080ti, (old sys) Win 10/64 Pro, 16gb, RTX 2070 Super

Comment

I have used Topaz since they first came onto the scene, they do a decent job but for me, I watch the movies just to enjoy them, and I do not have a high-grade setup, so I enjoy the movie as is in 720p, it takes hours for Topaz to upscale, I am a student so I do not have time for that. It is a " to each his own" situation, if you have that many hours in a day to do this and you enjoy seeing what you can do with software well then, I hope you get satisfaction from it. I however did not. I can watch and enjoy a 720p movie just as I would enjoy a 1080p movie. So like I have stated it's a situation where beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. 720p looks fine to me, on my cheap equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by Chameleon View Post
                720p looks fine to me, on my cheap equipment.
                Chameleon, I remember you having the DVDfab movie server, correct me if I'm wrong......but if you are transferring your movies or whatever you are watch onto the server, then 720p will look like 1080p on it if you have the output resolution set to 1080p or 2160p. Just as Mike_M noted with his Roku Ultra does hardware upscaling, the movie server is doing that, it's not the same as with upscaling with Topaz but it is hard to see any difference watching a movie to a normal person not critiquing the resolution.

Comment

Originally posted by Down2Earth View Post

Chameleon, I remember you having the DVDfab movie server, correct me if I'm wrong......but if you are transferring your movies or whatever you are watch onto the server, then 720p will look like 1080p on it if you have the output resolution set to 1080p or 2160p. Just as Mike_M noted with his Roku Ultra does hardware upscaling, the movie server is doing that, it's not the same as with upscaling with Topaz but it is hard to see any difference watching a movie to a normal person not critiquing the resolution.
                  Very true.

Comment

Mike, So your using Topaz Labs Video AI for enhancing/upscaling to 1080p? You mind talking with me about that software?

Comment

Working...
                    X