X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

StreamFab - Please explain this - Encoding speed determined by CPU or GPU

StreamFab,

I noticed in your new popup for "re-encode"

In StreamFab Pop-up: "The re-encoding speed is determined by your CPU or GPU..."

I noticed during processing, not just during "re-encoding", that StreamFab is using my GPU and not CPU.

This brings up some other relevant questions.

Via GeoForce Experience, StreamFab is indeed using my GPU, instead of CPU, at a fair 23% clip...

I currently use the latest Studio Drivers for my RTX 3080ti due to Topaz AI enhancement/upscaling.

Will it make a difference to StreamFab if I use Game Drivers or Studio Drivers?

Is whatever process you are now implementing optimized and making use of latest drivers.

If you're piggy-backing some software/module, do you know if that module has submitted files to Nvidia for consideration/optimization? - I think that's something that helps.

Will you be utilizing GPU's like this in future updates (like you do for DVDFab)?

Any benchmarking on processing times that you can share for people re: the CPU/GPU's they're using.

I'm tempted to do some tests on this system (I7-12,700, RTX 3080ti) vs old system (Skylake, RTX2070 Super) just to see if there's a big difference.

Thanks.

Mike

US - CST, No VPN, Win10/64 Pro & Win11/64 Pro, RTX 3080ti, I7-12,700k CPU
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mike_M; 12-11-2022, 06:53 PM.

Hi Mike_M, not sure if this helps in regards to your particular question concerning Studio or Gaming drivers, but it might give you an insight as I have personally noted a difference myself when using both ... From herein I'm using the Studio graphics drivers over gaming... Check out my recent post which includes my own experiences when using these drivers.

Stay safe.

Caleb.

"..Not sure why you are not seeing the English [Original] track besides the laptop was a clean install from an Offline version of 6.0.0.7.."

As you can clearly see from the screenshot I included, those are the (only) audio tracks offered, and absolutely no English [Original] save for the AD.

Like yourself my friend, I too (only) install fresh updates directly offline having subscribed to the 'Extended Download Service' and using both CCleaner Prof, System Mechanic (and) Revo Uninstaller to make sure of a clean install. My NVIDIA graphics drivers are up-to-date too. Interestingly I've noticed that when using the Gaming version of the graphics drivers, the processing bar remains blank and only shows progress when remuxing appears, yet using the Studio drivers instead the processing bar is again showing the green progress line alongside that of remuxing.

I'm sticking with using the Studio version of the NVIDIA graphics drivers from now on as more of the Fab software display optics seem to be visible.​

DVDFab Forum - 6.0.0.7. Offering No English Audio On Netflix Save for Audio Description!!

Last edited by littlebluealien; 12-13-2022, 03:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by thewhitewizard View Post
      Hi Mike_M, not sure if this helps in regards to your particular question concerning Studio or Gaming drivers, but it might give you an insight as I have personally noted a difference myself when using both ... From herein I'm using the Studio graphics drivers over gaming... Check out my recent post which includes my own experiences when using these drivers.

Stay safe.

Caleb.

"..Not sure why you are not seeing the English [Original] track besides the laptop was a clean install from an Offline version of 6.0.0.7.."

As you can clearly see from the screenshot I included, those are the (only) audio tracks offered, and absolutely no English [Original] save for the AD.

Like yourself my friend, I too (only) install fresh updates directly offline having subscribed to the 'Extended Download Service' and using both CCleaner Prof, System Mechanic (and) Revo Uninstaller to make sure of a clean install. My NVIDIA graphics drivers are up-to-date too. Interestingly I've noticed that when using the Gaming version of the graphics drivers, the processing bar remains blank and only shows progress when remuxing appears, yet using the Studio drivers instead the processing bar is again showing the green progress line alongside that of remuxing.

I'm sticking with using the Studio version of the NVIDIA graphics drivers from now on as more of the Fab software display optics seem to be visible.​

DVDFab Forum - 6.0.0.7. Offering No English Audio On Netflix Save for Audio Description!!

Thanks Caleb!

I'm currently using the Nvidia's latest Studio drivers due to Topaz AI and haven't gotten around to checking if they or Game Drivers made a difference!

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_M View Post

Thanks Caleb!

I'm currently using the Nvidia's latest Studio drivers due to Topaz AI and haven't gotten around to checking if they or Game Drivers made a difference!

Mike
        Hey Mike, have you been able to compare Topaz AI to DVDFab's AI Enlarger? I'm trying to figure out if one is noticeably better than the other.

I already have Fab's AI Enlarger, and I'm trying to decide if Topaz AI is worth buying to use instead?

Comment

Originally posted by KidJoe View Post
          Hey Mike, have you been able to compare Topaz AI to DVDFab's AI Enlarger? I'm trying to figure out if one is noticeably better than the other.

I already have Fab's AI Enlarger, and I'm trying to decide if Topaz AI is worth buying to use instead?
          Hi KidJoe,

I haven't compared just the enlarger of DVDFab to enlarger of other.

I always also enhance to add bytes/grain/detail and adjust necessary parameters based on estimates that make the video extra nice.

DVDFab does not have the versatility/parameters and all the models you can use found in the other that you can use for different situations and video sources.

I particularly like the Proteus model for currently downloading movies/series and I do a manual spreadsheet averaging of 30 manual test analysis/settings at various points in the movie as my overall setting as the conversion parameters.

I'd sign up for a trial and compare the two maybe, but right now the other is having a problem with their authentication server for licensing.

If you're using a trial just to compare, the watermarks probably won't matter for comparison.

It's great to use with movies if you have a good video card, but seems to have some issues with RTX 30XX's series that they say they are addressing and testing in current beta.

I'm using the older 2.6.4 version right now that's been working great for nearly every 720p/sub 720p (540p/etc...) with enhancing/upscaling and lets me ignore current resolution problems.

I don't think new users can get 2.6.4 version since I squeaked in when they were just transitioning to totally newly re-written 3.0.x version in October.

The older version 2.6.4 was more inhouse programming and the new version 3.0.x's utilize Ffmpeg which a lot of people like due to some custom scripting they seem to be aware of - I'm not that involved with FFmpeg.

You can also run multiple incidences of enhancement/upscaling at the same time, I like to do 2 - cause that's a sweet spot for my configuration in order to run other apps/downloads etc. without any noticeable effects on apps and complete in reasonable timeframes.

I'd also consider the sound options you can currently get from different downloaders especially with this current environment of dealing with new DRM.

Sometimes it's worth getting both and using the video from one and the audio from the other.

Mike
          Last edited by Mike_M; 12-17-2022, 09:52 AM.

Comment

I'm looking at up converting DVDs to 720p or 1080p. And I have one or two Blurays not available in 4k that I wanted to try it on just to see what it does. I don't anticipate up converting any downloads, as generally they look good enough.

I know my TV (Sony 77A80j OLED) does some upscaling. As does my Pioneer receiver (Elite VSX-LX505) and the Shield TV Pro (2019 edition), although I have their features off. But I assume using software to process/upscale will be better than any of them.

is just the RTX30x0 impacted with Topaz 3.0x? I do have an RTX3060 in my current rig, gave my GTX1660ti to my son. I can swap them back. The Re-encoding speeds and quality of the 1660ti and 3060 are the same.

Comment

I'm trying to figure out if one is noticeably better than the other.

In addition to what Mike posted.

I would like to note that I was also on the fence in deciding on the two. I'm a company man when it comes to DVDfab products and have all of them except for the AI Enlarger, so I was leaning more to it. But reading some of the comments and post for AI Enlarger on this forum, I did not like the processing time to render and upscale a video. Most noted was a post by you KidJoe here DVDFab Forum - Is this normal performance for my stestem?​. I will say with your computer and graphic card, you will have no problem with enhancing/upscaling with the other team and it would be a lot faster doing it. Mike helped out big time with the way he was able to manually set up parameters to enhance then upscale the enhancement by his post here. DVDFab Forum - One of my favorite movies this year... CODA​. Night and day.

The minimum required Nvidia driver for nvenc is 520 or higher to use and I use the studio driver over the gaming driver, I was able to test both of them out and the studio driver was by far better to use. There is a newer and another Nvidia studio driver update and V527.56 is the latest.

As far as release notes for versions goes, V 2.6.4 was better to use but V3.0.5 and V3.0.6 addressed those issues with the updated and redesigned V3.X.X version. V3.0.7 is the newest now.

Just a small example:

I enhanced 'Emancipation' which is only available through Streamfab at 360p from Apple+. I was able to enhance it in 2.5 hours using the original resolution, then upscaled it to 1080p which took and additional 5.5 hours. Not bad and very impressed results.

Another example which is the reverse, the movie 'The Good Nurse' downloads at 1080p but is the worst 1080p you'll ever seen coming from Netflix. Enhancing it took 11 hours but that is all I had to do to it since it was already at 1080p but wow what a difference it made. So, it depends on a lot of factors, I also did a short 18-minute Michael Jackson video of 'Smooth Criminal' up to 8K and that took 2.5 hours, so you see different variables in processing. Using nowhere near you two guys are using and my system barely breaths hard with no hiccups processing it using, i7 10700K CPU, RTX 2080 Super, 48GB DDR4.

Last edited by Down2Earth; 12-17-2022, 06:12 PM. Reason: Typo for NVIDIA Studio Driver update, had put V3.0.7 as the latest which was the wrong update. Corrected to V527.56

Comment

Hi Down2Earth,

I'm currently using V3.0.6 (previous version).

V3.0.7 has licensing issues and get "model failed" when running using my Nvidia RTX 3080ti with the parameters I use.

(Addressing in 3.0.8 Beta testing now?)

V3.0.6 doesn't have these issues.

V2.6.4 is faster, but has the sound not coming across issue in some enhanced files and missing some of the things you can do from 3.0.X's.

Growing pains in totally revamping their software from 2.6.4 inhouse program to 3.0.X using FFmpeg other changes.

Some of the things they are doing are exciting and definitely beyond DVDFab AI enhance/upscaling as it exists now.

They'll probable get it right in near future I think.

Mike

US CST, No VPN,
                Win10/64Pro & Win11/64Pro I7 12,700 - RTX 3080ti - booting to either version using bios
                Win 10/64Pro on Skylake with RTX 2070Super
                Last edited by Mike_M; 12-17-2022, 06:01 PM.

Comment

I'm looking at up converting DVDs to 720p or 1080p. And I have one or two Blurays not available in 4k that I wanted to try it on just to see what it does. I don't anticipate up converting any downloads, as generally they look good enough.

I know my TV (Sony 77A80j OLED) does some upscaling. As does my Pioneer receiver (Elite VSX-LX505) and the Shield TV Pro (2019 edition), although I have their features off. But I assume using software to process/upscale will be better than any of them.

is just the RTX30x0 impacted with Topaz 3.0x? I do have an RTX3060 in my current rig, gave my GTX1660ti to my son. I can swap them back. The Re-encoding speeds and quality of the 1660ti and 3060 are the same.
                  KidJoe,

I'd try v.3.0.7 and see how it works for you with your card, if you have issues, would recommend uninstalling and installing V3.0.6 (they have links to download previous versions in their forums under versions w/o charging) until they fix any issues you encounter.

Mike
                  Last edited by Mike_M; 12-17-2022, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Hi Down2Earth,

V3.0.7 has licensing issues and get "model failed" when running using my Nvidia RTX 3080ti with the parameters I use.

(Addressing in 3.0.8 Beta testing now?)

V3.0.6 doesn't have these issues.

They'll probable get it right in near future I think.

Mike
                    I actually got the 'model failed' using V3.0.7, but it flashed as such as being failed really quick while previewing like three times but never timed out as failing. Was able to Export the movie to upscale. It was another POS Apple+ 360p download. Wish Streamfab could at least get that up to 720p, I would be happy. There are at least 3 TV series with about 31 episodes each on them on Apple+ I like and upscaling those and that many is off the cards trying to do. Don't have a problem with 720p but 360p, you can do better...yes........
                    Last edited by Down2Earth; 12-17-2022, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Down2Earth View Post

I actually got the 'model failed' using V3.0.7, but it flashed as such as being failed really quick while previewing like three times but never timed out as failing. Was able to Export the movie to upscale. It was another POS Apple+ 360p download. Wish Streamfab could at least get that up to 720p, I would be happy. There are at least 3 TV series with about 31 episodes each on them on Apple+ I like and upscaling those and that many is off the cards trying to do. Don't have a problem with 720p but 360p, come on guys.
                      Down2Earth,

Just fyi,

Apple+ ~32.5kb/s audio too.

That's why I used StreamFab for Apple+ and cancelled download, then let it play in StreamFab & did screen capture in background mode.

Background mode screen capture will let me obscure StreamFab/Apple+ content with other browser window & also do downloads/etc...

Just have to be careful to mute stuff & turn off all software dings/notices... :-)

Then I enhanced/upscaled that.

When I got "model failed" the output was not as good for me, even though it would complete.

That's why I uninstalled 3.0.7 with windows add/remove choosing to delete configuration/settings & reinstalled 3.06.

Mike

Comment

Down2Earth,

Just fyi,

Apple+ ~32.5kb/s audio too.

That's why I used StreamFab for Apple+ and cancelled download, then let it play in StreamFab & did screen capture in background mode.

Background mode screen capture will let me obscure StreamFab/Apple+ content with other browser window & also do downloads/etc...

Just have to be careful to mute stuff & turn off all software dings/notices... :-)

Then I enhanced/upscaled that.
                        Horrible!

Comment

Working...
                        X